Catholic Church | News | Vatican

BigGayDeal.com

Catholic Church Castrated Boys for Homosexuality: Paper

Rotterdam-based newspaper NRC Handelsblad has discovered proof of at least one castration that was performed on a boy under Catholic church care in the 1950s to 'cure' his homosexual feelings, Dutch News reports:

PopeBut there are indications at least 10 other boys were also castrated, the paper said. The claims were not included in the Deetman report on sexual abuse within the Catholic church published at the end of last year.

The paper says the one confirmed case concerned a boy - Henk Heithuis - who reported being sexually abused by priests to the police in 1956. After giving evidence, he was placed in a Catholic-run psychiatric institution where he was then castrated because of his 'homosexual behaviour'.

The castrations were not included in the Deetman report because 'there were few leads for further research'.

The Deetman committee was set up by the church itself in 2010 after the sexual abuse scandal broke. It reported in December having identified some 800 priests and monks who abused children in their care between 1945 and 1985.

Castration was also used "as a means of punishing those who blew the whistle on abusers" according to the paper.

Church officials were aware of what was happening but did nothing. Other revelations excluded from the Deetman report include the Catholic people's party KVP's attempts to have sentences dropped against priests charged with abusing children in that late 50's.

Comments

1. For those of you saying that Catholics should stop giving money to the church, please understand that the Catholic church is the biggest charitable organization in the world. The work it does cannot be duplicated by any other group or collection of groups, that is a fact! Of course this doesn't excuse these disgusting actions and hopefully the people responsible should be duly punished...Yes, I know no punishment will give these men back what they lost as boys, but it's the least that can be done. As for the anti-Catholics, give it up, the Catholic church will outlive your great-great-great grand kids, it's not going anywhere. However, it does need to reform not for the sake of survival, but for the sake of morality...Yes, some (very few in the scheme of things) Catholic priests did some very disgusting and sick things to the children who were placed in their care, and the church must do all in its power to ensure that these people are weeded out and punished under secular law.

Posted by: pedro | Mar 19, 2012 12:26:10 PM

2. Where do you think the ancient tradition of castrating young boys originated? I'd bet any amount of money the Church was behind it.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Mar 19, 2012 12:27:20 PM

3. http://fablog.ehrensteinland.com/2012/03/19/hommage-a-roland-barthes/

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 19, 2012 12:42:32 PM

4. Pedro, while it was individual Priests who sexually abused children IT WAS THE ENTIRE CHURCH HIERARCHY THAT PROTECTED THOSE PRIESTS! They became accessories after the fact when they protected them from prosecution and they AIDED & ABETTED their future crimes by moving them to new diocese without warning anyone of their sexually abusive pasts, allowing them to abuse again!

So DO NOT try and make this about "some (very few in the scheme of things) Catholic priests." The entire church hierarchy from the Pope down kept silent while it happened and ACTIVELY protected pedophile priests! And any money to the church is in part spent protecting them further. If you want to donate to a specific Catholic Charity, fine. But don't fool yourself. The church has proved over and over again that they're far more interested in protecting their power and wealth than they ever were about protecting the people in the pews from their priests.

Posted by: Caliban | Mar 19, 2012 12:43:28 PM

5. The "Christian" cure to homosexuality... castration.

Sick bastards.

Posted by: SuperAnon | Mar 19, 2012 12:48:07 PM

6. @Pedro: There are none so blind... Your church is an EVIL institution. Yes, there are good PEOPLE, who happen to be Catholic. That doesn't make the Catholic church a moral institution. It does NOT matter how many charitable organizations the church sponsors. In time, they can be replaced. What is more important is to tear away the "magical" nonsense that has given the priesthood a special, protected status in our society. As long as the internet exists, there will be no more tolerated lies and deceptions permitted by the Catholic church. They can run, lie, threaten, demand pity, mumble their mumbo-jumbo; their special status is finished.

Posted by: Joe | Mar 19, 2012 12:49:38 PM

7. PEDRO

BS

the US gov does more for the poor and suffering far more effectively than the catholic church

The catholic church is the largest PRIVATE charitable org BUT the US FED GOV does far more for far more far more effectively than the catholic church and all that without wearing gold and silk robes

An argument can be made that the 1612 yrs of the catholic church's existence (dating from 400s ce council of nicea) with all of the burning of entire towns who were pagan, the holy wars, the witch burnings, the inquisition and yes the molestations ( there are documents dating to at least the 500s CE written by priests and monks bemoaning the sexyness of your boys....if the boys weren't so tempting etc) far outweigh any supposed good the catholic church has done

so past history nixes any good and US fed gov has done far more good for far more people far more efficiently

your "enabeler" comment in defense of the church falls flat

Posted by: say what | Mar 19, 2012 12:55:56 PM

8. @say what: You are right, I should have said largest private charitable organization...I still stand by the rest of my statement...If the charitable work done by the church, including faithfully humble priests and nuns, millions of people would be left in greater peril than they already are...As for the past acts of the Catholic church, I am not here to make excuses for it, I will just say please find me one organization that goes back two millenia that doesn't have a host of skeletons in its closet...The people who run the church are not perfect...I am a gay Catholic and have many, many issues with the church, but I will not allow that to blind me of the immense good that the church has done and will continue to do. I have contributed to the church in the past and I will continue to contribute to it in the future, I know that the church has blessed my life in innumerable ways.

Posted by: pedro | Mar 19, 2012 1:11:20 PM

9. Pedro

I sympathize with your stance/ conundrum

What good has occurred due to catholics was due to the inherent goodness of said individuals who just happened to be catholic. The same good individuals if worshipers of RA & Horus would have been just as good doing good as they did as catholics. They were/ are good who just happened to be catholic

Posted by: say what | Mar 19, 2012 1:19:04 PM

10. condoning the catholic church's actions, and continuing to support them financially because they "also are charitable" is intellectually dishonest and weak minded.

you might as well be saying "you're forgetting all the good work the Klan does for white people!"

piss OFF.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 19, 2012 1:20:10 PM

11. PEDRO - are you also a republican?

Posted by: TJ | Mar 19, 2012 1:21:35 PM

12. @Pedro: You're just another apologist for the crimes committed under the Vatican's watch. You trot out the same old, tired lines about how the money given to the Church is overwhelmingly for "good" causes. Well, tell me then, where did all the millions come from that were used to pay the settlements for the kids they raped?

It's precisely BECAUSE of people like you that these men have been able to get away with their crimes. So for you to talk about bringing them to justice is totally disingenuous. YOU ARE TO BLAME for excusing the Church's existence with your moral relativism, which is richly ironic considering how your own priests and bishops and cardinals deign to tell the rest of the world that their moral judgments are absolute and infallible.

These people have been, and continue to be, a malignant cancer on humanity. And like cancer, there's no way to peacefully coexist with it. It must be removed if the human race is to survive.

Posted by: atomic | Mar 19, 2012 1:21:45 PM

13. to Atomic's point, the problem is not actually the anti-gay side of the Catholic Church but all the "non-bigoted" catholics who , despite their apparently non-bigoted beliefs, continue to financially support the Catholic church.

stop supporting it financially and it'll be forced to rethink its ways.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 19, 2012 1:27:47 PM

14. @TJ: No I am not a Republican. I vote for Obama in '08 (my very first vote ever!), and though he has disappointed me and I do not agree with all of his policies, I will vote for him come November. Romney is a complete liar and hypocrite, who did a complete 180 from his days as Governor of MA to running for the Republican nominee. Obama is also a hypocrite and a liar...so it's the lesser of two evils at this point for me.

Posted by: pedro | Mar 19, 2012 1:30:34 PM

15. @Pedro

The Catholic Church likes to indoctrinate its people into believing the lie about its charity, but this is a myth, as shown in this research from Germany:

Posted by: Eric | Mar 19, 2012 1:38:06 PM

16. PEDRO - I was just wondering. Because you sound just like gay people who talk about all the good the GOP does. Who give money to support the party. Because faith is more important than fact. Because faith is what they count on to keep you suckered in.

I'm with those that say, vote with your wallet. Withhold your tithe, and let them know why.

Posted by: TJ | Mar 19, 2012 1:46:29 PM

17. exactly, TJ.

replace your collection envelope donation with a written letter explaining why you can't, in good conscience, give them any more money.

if they need money, perhaps they can start selling off their massive collection of gold ornaments. eh?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 19, 2012 1:52:11 PM

18. Pedro, genuine goodness and morality are human qualities that come from within a person. You do not need the Catholic church, or any church for that matter, to fulfill yourself spiritually. Someday, I hope you realize that the "goodness" and "morality" coming out to the Catholic church, and all religions, cannot possibly be genuine because it doesn't come from within, and until you let go of faith in the fake, you'll never know your own, real goodness. The cruelty and crimes of the church are just the obvious signs of the ugliness that is this train wreck of humanity.

Posted by: boone68 | Mar 19, 2012 1:54:14 PM

19. Wow, Okay I feel a little attacked so I will stop commenting on this post. Let me just say, I am truly disgusted by any abuse committed by members of the clergy and I hope every single one of them is brought to justice, in this world and under God's judgement. My faith is my personal business, I will never give it up, but I don't push it down other people's throat, nor do I want laws to reflect my own personal religious beliefs...I don't agree with the church on everything, and actually did not want Cardinal Ratzinger to be elected pope, however the rest of the College of Cardinals and God had other plans...People should not judge all Catholics because of a few bad apples. bye.

Posted by: pedro | Mar 19, 2012 2:07:07 PM

20. Why are Christians not considered terrorists and dealt with accordingly yet!? Is there not enough evidence of the harm they have inflicted on all of humanity? They cannot be allowed to harm any more innocents! Justice must be done.

Posted by: Sarm | Mar 19, 2012 2:08:04 PM

21. I alluded to this before but I think I need to be more explicit: it is not merely the money that Catholics give to the Church that is the issue. The money is merely the tangible component.

Far more important, I would argue, is the CREDIBILITY that the Church's followers give to the Catholic hierarchy simply by following them; simply by virtue of LISTENING to what they have to say as if their words do carry the weight of authority. That is what gives these dirty old men in dresses the nerve to tell law enforcement and the government that they are not accountable for raping children. That is what gives them the audacity to refuse to even offer impotent words of apology, and to lobby against extending the statute of limitations for child molestation. That is why they believe it is within their right to dictate to others who are not even Catholic what legal rights they are entitled to.

It is two crucial ingredients--money AND credibility, that is the reason why people let them get away with crimes. And they have accrued these things by using (quite literally) the oldest trick in the book: by proposing a mythology that indoctrinates and enslaves the weak-minded by making them feel loved and special if they obey, and guilty and fearful if they do not. It is a con job that has been ongoing for thousands of years, and it is astounding that so many people keep falling for it. WAKE THE **** UP PEOPLE: you are being taken for a ride (in more ways than one, apparently!) by a bunch of WICKED OLD PEDOPHILES and you want to keep protecting them!?

Posted by: atomic | Mar 19, 2012 2:21:12 PM

22. actually, pedro, it's catholics like you that deserve the criticism.

you condone their affronts to humanity, spinelessly.

feeling attacked? on HERE?

try attending each church service from now on with a big bright rainbow adorning your being - let your entire congregation and priest(s) know that you're a gay man. truly.

i'm rather tired of gay catholics telling gays not to hate catholics. tell your own damned church to stop hating on LGBT people, and non-Catholics and non-Christians.

if you can stand before gay men and tell them you're a catholic but can't stand before your congregation and tell them that you're a proud gay men then you need to sit for a while and think about what that means.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 19, 2012 2:30:57 PM

23. Saying the Catholic Church should be given a pass on this issue because they do charitable work is like saying It's okay for your elementary school teachers to molest you if they give you good grades and drop you off at home after every raping... get a damn clue. The followers have more power than they think. If they withheld their offerings until every pedophile and abuse cover up person was kicked out of the organization, it wouldn't take long for things to get in order. Money talks...

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Mar 19, 2012 2:36:48 PM

24. To my fellow commenters:

PEDRO stopped his dialogue with us (and fled!) because it was too overwhelming to be confronted w/ so much information re: his devotion to an empire of epic failure to it's most devout followers. This is a excellent example of trying to convince those devotees to try & please look at the bigger picture. It's just too painful. But, I will NOT let this story get buried!

@ Say What: You posted...
    "I was raised catholic myself, and at one time loved the church but through my own life journey & sweet reason...came to atheism. It was a long, painful, and soul wrenching journey."

That journey has made you a solid man. Be grateful for the "growing pain"
    that led you to be spiritually sound today.

Posted by: Marcito | Mar 19, 2012 3:30:42 PM

25. So, the church which objects to condom use by gay men to prevent AIDS because condoms are used by heterosexual couples to prevent pregnancy, and because interference with procreation is intrinsically evil, felt that castration to prevent homosexual behavior (and, let us not forget, in earlier times, to prevent voice change) is fine, even though it is a more permanent interference with procreation....

No wonder they are so respected as a source of sexual and moral information, and particularly about the morality of medical procedures.

Posted by: Vint | Mar 19, 2012 4:30:41 PM