Dharun Ravi Found Guilty of Major Counts in Tyler Clementi Case: VIDEO

D_ravi

After 12 hours of deliberation, the jury in the Dharun Ravi case today returned a verdict, and Ravi has been found guilty on a number of major counts including bias intimidation and invasion of privacy that could land him in prison for 10 years.

Watch a video of the verdict, AFTER THE JUMP...

The jury found that Ravi was motivated by anti-gay bias when he used a webcam to spy on his Rutgers roommate Tyler Clementi's intimate encounter with another man in their dorm room, and broadcast it to other students. Clementi committed suicide by jumping off the George Washington bridge a short time thereafter.

ClementiThe Star-Ledger has a DETAILED LIST of all the counts and the verdicts on each.

North Jersey reports:

Ravi, 20, of Plainsboro, was convicted of the most serious counts of bias intimidation, which means he faces certain jail time – between five and 10 years - when sentenced by Superior Court Glenn Berman. As a native of India, he also could be deported...Of the 35 separate charges on 15 counts, 24 came in guilty, with 11 not guilty. Most of the not guilty verdicts applied to Clementi’s companion, identified only as M.B.

It was the first time in the state that bias intimidation charges linked to invasion of privacy were brought against a defendant and could have a future impact on the way young adults interact online and how schools police internet use, legal experts have said.

They add:

The panel of seven women and five men were convinced by First Assistant Middlesex County Prosecutor Julia McClure’s assertion that Ravi invaded the privacy of Clementi and his male companion, identified only as M.B., with the intent to intimidate Clementi because he was gay.

In doing so, they rejected Attorney Steven Altman’s defense that Ravi was acting like a typical 18-year-old “kid” and didn’t know how to deal with seeing two men kissing. Ravi had also told investigators that he used the webcam because he was worried that an older, shabby looking M.B. would steal his iPad.

Ravi's sentencing is May 21.

Watch a video of the verdict, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Such a sad story. If Ravi really was worried about someone stealing his iPad would it not of been so much easier to just take it with him, than to rig a dorm room with a camera? and then to broadcast what happened ???

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Mar 16, 2012 1:04:50 PM

2. Hang him high!

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Mar 16, 2012 1:08:06 PM

3. It really is a shame he didn't take the plea deal. I agree that he didn't cause Clementi's death. He didn't drive him to the bridge and push him off. What Ravi did was stupid and he deservedly will be punished for his actions. At some point, though, we have to learn how to toughen up and deal. Clementi wasn't in high school. If he had the maturity to be sleeping with a 32 year old man, then he should've had the ability to deal with this. It seems like he was doing just that by requesting a room change. Ravi was an 18 year old, immature child. I think we have to stop deifying these young people who are killing themselves and give them some tools to be able to handle life. Anyone who thinks that interpersonal relationships magically all get better, as you get older, is seriously mistaken. There are assholes everywhere and if you don't learn to handle people, in some way, when you're young, you certainly won't be able to do it when you're older. Before the internet, I could see how people could feel isolated and alone. There is no reason, now, not to find community and help to help you emotionally when life gets rough. It's not the only answer but it's something. What this whole case does shine a light on, however, is that if you invade people's privacy for the debasement of one and the enjoyment of others, you're going to pay the price. What that price is will be seen...I don't think, in this case, prison is the answer. He's already been made an example of. I also agree that the university should shoulder some responsibility on the behavior of students on campus. Are there not guidelines that must be followed in terms of behavior?

Posted by: Seamus | Mar 16, 2012 1:13:01 PM

4. Let's be clear here. Ravi caused Clementi's death.

I am exceptionally pleased that the jury saw the EVIDENCE faced the FACTS comprehended the TRUTH and acted accordingly.

As Ravi has no priors I doubt he'll get actual jail time, but his deportation is very likely.

More important this is a watershed moment. All the homophobes out there -- and in here -- are now on notice that if they cross the line and follow up their words with actiosn they will be in a world of trouble.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 16, 2012 1:13:20 PM

5. For once justice has been served, somewhat.

His parents brought him here for a better life and to have it they should have become naturalized citizens as well as naturalizing their children. They chose not to and that failure makes Ravi a non-American citizen. There is nothing prejudiced about that. It is simply the law. Deport him after he serves his American sentence but not before.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Mar 16, 2012 1:15:51 PM

6. Agree with Justin. The facts just don't support the idea that Ravi is a "murderer." There is so much more to this case and the way the two guys interacted and communicated and the way the university reacted to Tyler's request for a room change and Tyler's own varying reactions to his annoying roommate. To me, the penalty is too harsh. We should save bias punishments for more clear-cut bias crimes and not cry wolf every time the victim happens to be gay. And to be clear, I say all this as a gay man, and I know many will disagree. Fair enough.

Posted by: don | Mar 16, 2012 1:20:19 PM

7. "Ravi was an 18 year old, immature child."

OH please! Was he in rompers? Did he have a nanny accompany him to his classes at Rutgers?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 16, 2012 1:22:34 PM

8. The real culprit here is us, that we live in a world where who you choose to love can be stigmatized to the extent that you end up committing suicide as a result. This is sad for all parties involved.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 16, 2012 1:23:56 PM

9. "Sorry if I offend anyone, but he sounds like a typical Indian from my experience. Very snobby, class conscious people."

Aaaand, somebody had to go there. Go back to your lair, racist queen. Because, you know, white people are never class conscious or snobbish.

Posted by: Gregoire | Mar 16, 2012 1:27:27 PM

10. I hate this kid, but Tyler killed himself. By himself.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 16, 2012 1:29:39 PM

11. You guys who say he's being treated harshly are ignoring the raft of OTHER charges he was found GUILTY of: tampering with evidence (deleting his Tweets, deleting his texts with Clementi), falsifying evidence (posting false tweets) tampering or attempting to influence witnesses (Molly Wei).

Would you want anyone acquitted who attempts to falsify evidence?

And for those who say he got off too lightly, the charges he was acquitted of were bias and attempt to stigmatize M.B. -- which is right, because he did not know M.B. from Adam.

I am also glad that the jury discarded the defenses assertion that he's "just a kid" -- at 18 years old, he's clearly, and legally an ADULT.

Read through ALL the charges and verdicts. The jury parsed them well and seems to me to have got it right on.

Posted by: Strepsi | Mar 16, 2012 1:35:05 PM

12. Doesn't the church and groups like Focus on the Family due exactly what Ravi did, on a daily basis, but just in more general, sweeping terms?

Posted by: Oliver | Mar 16, 2012 1:35:36 PM

13. @Gregoire,

I never said 'White People' weren't capable of being snobs and acting like aholes, ALL humans are capable of this. I said, FROM MY EXPERIENCE, many Indians I have interacted with [and that's a lot] are snobby, VERY class conscious people. I stand by this observation and post.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 16, 2012 1:39:14 PM

14. I don't mean to pick on you Paul R (because I usually agree with you), but Ravi wasn't charged with murder nor was he convicted of it. And the charges reflect that he was not directly responsible. Invasion of privacy and bias intimidation are crimes no matter whether, afterwards, the victim commits suicide, seeks counseling, or goes out for drinks.

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Mar 16, 2012 1:39:20 PM

15. And FYI Gregoire;

I'm not a 'queen'.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 16, 2012 1:41:03 PM

16. 5 years in prison, then deportation, and there's at least some justice. He didn't kill Clementi, but he did something so horrendous that he set off an already at-risk kid.

We can't allow situations like this and hopefully there's a lot of immature teenagers and guys in the early 20s right now who will hear about this case (it is national news right now) and think twice about taping their roommate having sex without their knowledge.

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 16, 2012 1:41:55 PM

17. David, did you read the New Yorker piece on this?

It really seemed to me from that account of events that Tyler was very close to coping with this, and that if he had, these two might have ended up being friends.

The certainty with which many of the commenters here are dealing with this very complex situation is troubling.

Posted by: MammaBear | Mar 16, 2012 1:43:03 PM

18. I read the New Yorker piece and "might have been friends" isn't in it. "Might have been friends" is a fantasy. As I've posted elsewhere in here I saw "Bully" the other day and in the most shocking scene a school administrator corners a bullied kid and DEMNDS he shake hand siwth his tormentor so that they "can be friends."

This is Beyond Disgusting!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 16, 2012 2:01:21 PM

19. I'm not understanding why all of us aren't cheering the verdict. Actions cause consequences. They cannot be separated. We cannot complain when those who kill us get set free or less than capital punishment, then question whether someone who clearly bullied and intimitated should be punished for having done so - and for the consequences that resulted from it.

There should be one voice on this.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 16, 2012 2:01:41 PM

20. I agree w/ RatBastard. Call me racist if you wish, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.

Posted by: chasmader | Mar 16, 2012 2:02:09 PM

21. I have read that Tyler had come out to his mother and felt rejected by her. I suspect as others have said that Ravi's actions were, at most, the last straw.
    I never had any issue like this with any roommate, but I did have problems with some unprincipled roommates and I always knew my parents were a phone call away to listen and give good advice and support. It's hard for anyone to have unloving or unaccepting parents.
    I could really find some degree of empathy for Ravi if his defence didn't sound so insincere.
    I suspect that he is turned on by the idea of seeing two men kissing.
    It would have sounded believable if he had said:
    "The embarassing reality is that I was jealous that Tyler was on a date, and the idea of kissing Tyler fascinated and excited me. I couldn't think of any other way to 'be there' except to ask Molly to fire up her computer while I pretended that my I-Pad needed to be watched. I got an instant hard-on but I felt social pressure to hide my motivations by exaggerating to all my friends the 'shock' of watching."

Instead, it is clear that the idea that his I-Pad needed to be watched is phony, because an I-Pad is is very portable and could have been carried on his visit to Molly.

I still would hate to see his own life ruined over this. Whatever his real reasons are for having done this, I suspect he is terrified of admitting them to his own parents.

I'm sure he never imagined the result would be so extreme. He's largely being held responsible for Tyler's reaction rather than for his own actions.

If Tyler had been a more confident person and had brushed off the episode and accepted an apology from Ravi, then nobody would be calling for Dharun Ravi's head. It might have just been a childish lapse of jusgement that everybody might have forgotten a month later.

Posted by: GregV | Mar 16, 2012 2:16:48 PM

22. I wouldn't say Ravi's behavior is about his race or ethnicity. It's really about his upbringing, his cultural environment, and the socioeconomic status of his family.

He came from a very wealthy, materialistic, and status-oriented family. Such families exist in every culture, among every race and ethnicity. True, the kind of values that result from such attitudes, and the prevalence thereof, certainly varies among different ethnic groups, but ultimately, it is about the way in which Ravi was brought up to believe that a person's worth is measured in the wealth and status he possesses.

I don't think it's racist to point out that such attitudes are more common in certain cultures than in others. I don't think that it's inappropriate to mention it in the context of this case. It certainly played some role in the way Ravi viewed Clementi, and how he treated him. To not acknowledge this and accuse those who do of playing up racial stereotypes, is as much a distortion as claiming that Ravi was not homophobic because his friends didn't think he was.

Posted by: atomic | Mar 16, 2012 2:21:49 PM

23. Muggers who knock down old ladies for their pocketbooks, breaking fragile bones in the process don't get 10 yrs. as first offenders. As a G & S character sings: "The object all sublime, I will achieve in time, to let the punishment fit the crime, the punishment fit the crime."

He should not get 10 yrs. as he was not held responsible for the suicide which was not mentioned during trial by either side. Jail time yes, but probation also. Nasty mean-spitited, stupid prank, but not murder.

Posted by: Contrarian | Mar 16, 2012 2:32:40 PM

24. I haven't read any articles yet that clarify the various verdicts. They seem detached from the facts because the underlying charges are not explained. It seems that some of the events were more serious than the others to the jury, but we'd need a careful analysis to determine what the jury saw as the timeline of events and how they played out. In any event, if Ravi faces jail time he will almost certainly appeal.

Keep in mind that potential jail time is largely there to get a plea deal. The actual time of sentence will probably be far less. So, when the newspapers say that someone could get up to "10 years in jail for ..." they are merely doing the work of the prosecutor in pursuing a plea bargain. In reality, these maximums are only reserved for the most unremorseful of defendants.

Posted by: anon | Mar 16, 2012 2:33:50 PM

25. Good to hold ppl accountable for their actions.

NB. One of the charges found GUILT was lying to the government. Don't we wish the same standard applied to the goverment when it lies to us, but that is a whole nother topic. RIP Tyler, now friend of more than you ever would have thot.

Posted by: Eyes For Guys | Mar 16, 2012 2:39:26 PM