Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Houston | Military | Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

Don't Ask, Don't Tell, The Musical: VIDEO

Dadt

Bayou City Performing Arts in Houston has turned the battle to repeal 'Don't Ask, Dont' Tell' into a musical production and will be performing it this weekend at the Cullen Theater at Wortham Center, Think Progress LGBT reports.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Zip-a-D-A-D-T, zippity ay!
    My oh my, the Army sucks when you're gay
    Plenty of unfairness headed my way
    Zip-a-D-A-D-T, zippity ay!

Sorry. Just trying to think up songs for a DADT musical.

Posted by: Caliban | Mar 23, 2012 12:02:25 PM

2. No offense intended by this, but isn't this tendency to chronicle the whole gay rights struggle through plays becoming a little silly? I understand "queer cinema" (and that's YOUR term, not mine!)because gay people need to be validated by seeing people like themselves portrayed, but if these politically-timely plays are intended for general audiences, how many will really want gay activism dressed up as entertainment time after time?

I mean I'm almost expecting to see next "Frothy and The Stranger: An evening with Dan Savage and Rick Santorum" or "NOMinal values: the rise and fall of Maggie Gallagher"

or how about this one: "The Seriocomic world of Towleroad Trolls and Activists"

Posted by: Mary | Mar 23, 2012 6:59:32 PM

3. Mary doesn't care for thematic art. Try looking at each example as a separate piece of theatre, as it's authors/creators intend it to be taken. Conversely, wasn't the tendency to chronicle the whole black civil rights struggle through plays (and don't forget movies) a little silly? And that Anne Frank, and all those other Holocaust-themed works... Honestly. Mary needs a hobby.

Posted by: jim | Mar 23, 2012 8:10:59 PM

4. Jim, I wasn't saying that we should never expect political or cultural issues to be addressed in art. Far from it. And I was careful not to give the impression that I was against portrayals of gay people in entertainment. My point was that it seems like overkill to make plays about every issue within an issue - Prop 8, DADT, etc.. That's all. Especially because these are pieces of legislation and therefore timely. You raised a good point that the creators of each of these works are creating individual pieces of art - they probably aren't thinking about what others are creating. I only meant that I don't think this is likely to help the gay rights cause - even though I can see why LGBT people and their allies would want to see such plays.

I wasn't intending to mock the creators of these plays. But ask yourself - if conservatives were making play after play about prayer in schools, anti-abortion protests, etc...would the general public get turned off after the first,,two, three? This is all I meant. Sorry if I came across as insulting.

Posted by: Mary | Mar 23, 2012 8:55:32 PM

5. I was fortunate to see the performance in Houston and It was a very moving one. For those who think that it is not necessary to express every struggle in art is missing the point about the art itself. Art is about expressing experiences, whether it's a personal one or ones that experience by many. Art is always better when the expression comes from a real life situation. DADT might have ended but our struggle for basic rights still continue. US still doesn't recognize gay marriage at the federal level, hence partners of military personnels still don't receive the same benefits as straight couples. Also, the show reminded us that transgender people are still being excluded from the military.

Posted by: Gan | Mar 25, 2012 2:38:20 PM

6. The DADT musical idea sounds good to me. The music also sounded good. I especially liked the use of "Once,I had a secret love". As a veteran, I would certainly go to see the show. Hopefully, a lot of civilian types would also be interested in attending.

Posted by: jack | Mar 25, 2012 2:46:12 PM