Faye Dunaway | Film | News | Opera

Faye Dunaway as Maria Callas: PHOTO

Dunaway

Faye Dunaway tweeted this "peek" of her role as Maria Callas in Master Class, her adaptation (she co-wrote and directed) of the Terrence McNally play about the opera diva, which is in post-production.

(via musto)

Comments

1. I didn't know that Selena from Supergirl taught Jennifer Lopez how to sing, but Im glad they made a play/movie about it. Im seeing it in London in three weeks, so Im sure it will all be more clear by then.

Posted by: DrJWL | Mar 12, 2012 11:27:49 AM

2. I saw her perform the role on stage and was almost impressed. Almost. Hopefully she'll take me all the way when it reaches the screen (though that wig is a bit of a fright.)

Posted by: Alan | Mar 12, 2012 11:29:06 AM

3. Its been in post-production for several years now.

Cannot WAIT to see it.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 12, 2012 11:44:05 AM

4. Did Callas ever have light-brown fluffy curls?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Mar 12, 2012 11:53:53 AM

5. I saw this yrs ago with Patti LuPone and she was fantastic and looked lot of the original diva. LuPone would have been a great choice.

Posted by: Matt26 | Mar 12, 2012 11:59:22 AM

6. Yay!?

Posted by: jakeinlove | Mar 12, 2012 12:01:11 PM

7. She toured this years ago (maybe ten or twelve) & I saw her when she played in Vancouver. If my memory serves me, she didn't try to 'impersonate' Callas, so I wasn't particularly concerned that she didn't look like her either. From this new photo, however, it looks like she might be channelling Latoya Jackson.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Mar 12, 2012 12:19:12 PM

8. Photos of Callas in the Julliard Masterclasses. Yes she did have flowing hair.

Posted by: William | Mar 12, 2012 12:19:22 PM

9. I'm always worried about these sort of vanity projects - Ms. Dunaway is a knockout actress when she has the right director reigning her in.

We want Network. We want Barfly. We want Chinatown. Heck, we'll even take Don Juan DeMarco.

we do NOT want mommiesupergirldearest

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 12, 2012 12:24:38 PM

10. Who's kidding who. "Reaches the screen". It will reach the DVD first. I saw it too and it will translate as successfully as "Nine" and "Proof". Those big hits.

Posted by: MarkUs | Mar 12, 2012 12:49:02 PM

11. Can someone either confirm or deny the rumor that she shut down production and toured film festivals for inspiration before she recommenced?

Posted by: Cinesnatch | Mar 12, 2012 1:15:04 PM

12. Kinda would rather see Tyne Daly as Maria Callas, but Mommie Dearest will do.

Posted by: Thomas | Mar 12, 2012 4:44:11 PM

13. Ah Faye. I loved her for years, but finally gave up after a slew of bad performances in the '80s and then the facelifts.

I prefer to "freeze" her in the '70s, when she was knockout gorgeous, an amazing actress (not all the time, granted, but think Chinatown and Three Days of the Condor and Network), and crazy in a good way.

Somewhere along the way she became crazy not in a good way but UTTER BATSHIT.

Poor Faye.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Mar 12, 2012 4:45:41 PM

14. Tell me: was it the drugs?

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Mar 12, 2012 4:46:45 PM

15. Im going to see Tyne Daly in it in London in a few weeks, and Ive been very excited since I missed her on Broadway. Ive only heard raves.

Posted by: DrJWL | Mar 12, 2012 4:53:38 PM

16. Oh, honey, thisss is all just TOO fabulousss for words!

LOL.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 12, 2012 7:18:38 PM

17. has anyone hear read Ethan Mordden's "The Venice Adriana"?

it's AMAZING. set in venice, young gay man hired to help ghost-write the autobiography of a Callas-inspired opera singer, and the circumstances of the culture around him leading him to find himself as a gay man; references to Visconti, Zeffirelli, Fellini and Pasolini abound.

it's funny ,it's touching, it's sexy as hell, and for any opera lover it's absolutely laden with buff-approved references and in-jokes.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 12, 2012 7:28:34 PM

18. Saw Dunaway do this in Boston, years ago. Loved it!

Posted by: POG | Mar 13, 2012 2:11:51 AM