Bisexual | Gillian Anderson | I'm Gay | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gillian Anderson Comes Out as Bisexual

Scully tells OUT magazine that lesbian relationships are part of her personal X-Files:

AndersonInvited to elaborate, she begins to list them: “I was in a relationship with a girl for a long time when I was in high school, and then I was in a relationship with a punk rock drug addict who...”

Wait, a lesbian relationship? “Yeah, yeah, well it’s... You know, I’m old enough that I can talk about that,” she says, before resuming her list: “And then I was in a relationship with somebody who was way, way older than me. Everything that that kind of anarchistic attitude brings—the inappropriate behavior it leads to—was how I chose to be in the world at that time, which was, you know, not what people did.”

Anderson says she has not discussed her relationships with women before for fear of making "a big deal" of it.

“If I had thought I was 100% gay, would it have been a different experience for me?” she wonders. “Would it have been a bigger deal if shame had been attached to it and all those things that become huge life-altering issues for youngsters in that situation? It’s possible that my attitude around it came, on some level, from knowing that I still liked boys.”

Anderson says she has had relationships with other women, but they have been the exception, not the rule.

The Double Life of Gillian Anderson [out]

Comments

1. So what?

Posted by: Woola | Mar 14, 2012 8:53:12 AM

2. She's fabulous!

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 14, 2012 8:56:11 AM

3. Oh, please, not another bisexual female!!! One wonders whether she's got a movie to market, hence the bisexuality.

Generally, I don't trust women with sexuality issues. It's easy for a woman to fake her sexuality because her supposed interest in sex does not come with an erection certificate. She can claim that she's interested but she doesn't need to prove it.

Keep in mind this other important point: bisexual females tend to appeal to a base that is not gay-friendly - ie sleazy straight guys.

As for OUT magazine, why does OUT magazine often show purportedly bisexual females but not bisexual males? Is OUT magazine phobic about bi guys? Looks like it.

Posted by: jason | Mar 14, 2012 9:03:26 AM

4. The ability to determine within half a sentence whether a troll post was written by Jason never fails

Posted by: Steve | Mar 14, 2012 9:18:15 AM

5. I've said it before and I will say it again: Thanks for waiting until you are completely irrelevant!! Way to go!!

Posted by: AJ | Mar 14, 2012 9:38:33 AM

6. Yep, misogynist Jason strikes again. What would Towleroad be like if Jason was here to spread his hatred of women? I know! It would be a better place!

Posted by: Cree | Mar 14, 2012 9:43:22 AM

7. Did anyone see Gillian Anderson in 'The House of Mirth?' She was pretty brilliant.

Anyway... I think the reason why we see so many more "out" (or OUT) bisexual women is precisely that lack of "ick factor" from our society's dominant leadership, i.e. straight males. There is increasingly less and less stigma associated with admitting to being a bisexual female and THAT IS A GOOD THING.

Just because attitudes towards gay sex among males have been evolving more slowly shouldn't take away from progress on that front for women. And it doesn't help that we gay men are so suspect of bisexuality among our ranks to begin with.

If I were a bisexual male (trust me, I'm not... with the possible exception of adolescent stirrings directed towards Blair Warner), I would be loath to tell anyone - the straights would reject me as a poofter and the gays would label me a fraud.

Posted by: JesryPo | Mar 14, 2012 10:16:06 AM

8. Meh... Irrelevant celebrity outs herself as bisexual for attention.

Posted by: DrJWL | Mar 14, 2012 10:44:11 AM

9. Duh. This is when news isnt news.

Posted by: AJ | Mar 14, 2012 10:46:50 AM

10. I don't really care who she's attracted to -- I just wish she'd get more work. She was great in Bleak House.

Posted by: M | Mar 14, 2012 11:05:43 AM

11. she did not say she was bisexual, but that she had relationships with women, which as quote, was the exception...

I think that until she says "I am bisexual" that this term does not apply to her... so I did not see this as any sort of coming out...

I've had, specially when I was younger as she was, many relationships with women, and yet I'd not say that I am bisexual at all...

behavior and experimentation (even if it lasts years) does not define one's orientation... think of all the gay men who marry women...

not sure I am making any sense, does anybody know what I mean?

and btw, and I am not saying she is a bad person, or that bisexualism does not exist, etc

Posted by: V-8 | Mar 14, 2012 11:13:31 AM

12. That's nice. Who cares. She's a solid actress, though.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Mar 14, 2012 11:38:24 AM

13. She's a lesbian. This is a half out. I know the woman. She is lying, as she's wont to do.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 14, 2012 11:43:19 AM

14. I know exactly what you mean, V-8. She could be gay, straight or bi and say exactly what she said. She did not confirm or deny any particular sexual orientation here.
    I'm male and when I'm asked, I tell people I have dated females. That does not mean I'm bi or straight; I'm gay. I know straight guys who have had some sexual experiences with males and I've even known gay guys who have had sexual experiences ONLY with females. People experiment.

I think a gay magazine like OUT should be above over-reacting to the mention of something that really should not raise any eyebrows. She says she didn't want to make a big deal of it and then the editorial comments sound almost like exclamation points.

Posted by: GregV | Mar 14, 2012 12:58:39 PM

15. Gillian Anderson....Kristie McNichol....Ricky Martin...Clay Aiken.....

WHEN WILL THE SHOCKING REVELATIONS END???!!!

Posted by: buster | Mar 14, 2012 3:18:07 PM

16. So what, Wuula? Are you serious?

Every time someone comes out of the closet, they make it that much easier for other people to do the same. That's "what."

You do realize this is a GLBT news blog, right?

If you think a story like this is a "so what," I don't get why you're here.

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 14, 2012 6:44:42 PM

17. PS. I wrote the above a while ago and forgot to post it until now.

I originally wrote how, in my personal life, I couldn't decide whether to come out as gay or bi, because occasionally -- rarely -- I felt opposite-sex attractions.... but there was MORE bigotry directed at bisexual people than gay people, especially in gay communities, so I didn't want my personal feelings to be written off as some 'phase' in my coming out.

I deleted it because the other comments were all rational. Then came Paul R's comment, which I didn't see until after I posted.

It's amazing that GLBT people can be so damn bigoted against each other. Bisexual people exist... SHEESH.

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 14, 2012 6:48:33 PM

18. I'm astonished that people think she's revealed this info just because it is supposed she doesn't have a career anymore. Do people not watch TV anymore? She was only just recently in GREAT EXPECTATIONS! And she was also in the latest Mr Bean film. These have all happened since Bleak House and she also played Wallis Simpson in something. So why people are so down on her career is beyond me? Just because you might not (obviously haven't) seen her work schedule yourself, doesn't mean it's not happening.

As for her sexuality, she is free to be with whatever man or woman she likes. I find it ridiculous from reading other forums that some posters have asked for proof of pictures in order for these revealments to be true! Either these people are pervs, ignortant or just plain prejudice. What right do any of us have to see visual proof in order to believe a person's sexuality (or sexual history if not the present). And can people just get over thinking all people coming out as bisexual is an attention thing because there are some closeted teens (and adults after years of denial) that still greatly benifit from someone in the public eye talking about it to some degree from their own experience. Bisexual people get as much prejudice as gay people and at least gay people get taken seriously when they come out becaause they are not percieved to be sitting on a 'safe fence'.

Posted by: Teresa | Mar 15, 2012 6:57:41 AM

19. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THIS IS A NEWS STORY. IT IS NOT IN THE BEST INTEREST OF HOMOSEXUALS - ESPECIALLY, MALES - TO CHAMPION SO-CALLED "BISEXUALITY."
    THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.