Colton Cumbie | News | Survivor

BigGayDeal.com

So How's the Gay Republican Doing on 'Survivor'? - VIDEOS

Colton

Back in January I noted that Colton Cumbie (above, right), a gay Republican, was set to compete in Survivor: One World, and was being billed as a villain.

So how's he doing?

Well he's exposed himself as a racist, calling the African-American stand-up comic Bill "ghetto trash" and telling him to "get a real job" and explaining that he has Black people in his life (his housekeeper), and insensitive to little people (he calls Leif an "Oompah-Loompah" to his face, and says "that little Munchkin needs to get knocked back to Oz."

In other words. the villain thing is going as planned.

Check out the astonishing clips (spoilers, especially the 4th tribal council video),
AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "The worst type of gay man - nasty, intolerant, bitchy"

He'd fit in perfectly here!
    ********

Precisely! Good catch, Joe.

Posted by: AG | Mar 8, 2012 11:51:08 AM

2. Survivor is still the best recurring show on television, now that Will and Grace are gone. And Colton was hilarious the first three episodes, never seen anyone like him, actually pining to belong to the girls camp, calling himself "the girl" among the men. He cracked me up. Unfortunately, in this 4th episode, he showed himself to be everything said here, yes he was awful. Now, however, I especially wouldn't miss the next show.

Mr. Burnett you have me at the door, just not the door to your repellant church.

Oh, and GAYLIB, why is he a "close friend"? It's you who seem to be "supporting the enemy."

Posted by: uffda | Mar 8, 2012 11:53:03 AM

3. @Joey Y: That's BS, at least about "ghetto trash" being race-independent. "Ghetto" means a place where a group of people are segregated from the rest of the population, whether by law, discrimination or poverty, and in the US it has been used to describe poor black neighborhoods. ("Barrio" is used for poor Hispanic neighborhoods.) "Ghetto trash" is an offensive term because whether or not it leveled against someone African American or not, it basically proclaims trashy behavior to be the norm of the ghetto. It is similar to the term "trailer trash," which is based on the presumption that trashy behavior is the norm of folks who live in trailor parks. I am sure that this gem of a human being would not try to demean any black person by calling them "trailer trash."
    Ghetto trash is also not unlike the way so many people use the term "gay" to mean lame, weak or ineffectual. Yes, it has been used to describe some straight people and yes, some if not most of the people who use would say that it does not apply to all gay people, but it still is offensive. It reminds me of when I told a childhood friend, who I'd lost touch with for many years, that I was gay and her response was "Good for you for not being faggotty!"

Posted by: MichaelJ | Mar 8, 2012 11:55:10 AM

4. texbook gay republican. racist, clueless as to how he's perceived by others.

it's as bad as this Gay Republican in this video who keeps complaining about "stereotypical gay people" - uh, Mary, if you aint a stereotypical gay then i don't know what is! LOL!

now, don't worry. he doesn't represent "us" - he represents gay republicans. you know, the boys who had to parrot their parents' racism in the hopes of avoiding their parents' anti-gay bigotry.

he is indeed the quintessential Gay Republican - and this is why the GOP is against pretty much all forms of LGBT Equality: not because of Liberal Gays, but because the Conservative Gays that they know and are related to are so cowardly and pathetic that they make it very clear that they're not deserving of Equality.

and they're not. Gay liberals are. Gay Conservatives aren't. they don't even have the orbs to fight for it.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 8, 2012 12:03:24 PM

5. Is it bad that I think he's cute? I know, I know! I hate him and everything he stands for and that voice my god...but if he just shut up, he'd be such pleasant arm candy.

Why do I get the impression he's going to be just that for some rich middle aged white GOProud member someday?

They can ride off into the sunset together in their pastel polo shirts, tanning bed brown skin, blindingly white bleached teeth and a live in a house full of black servants like the civil rights movement never happened.

Posted by: Apparatus | Mar 8, 2012 12:04:49 PM

6. As my very good straight friend remarked this morning, "That Colton is giving Caucasians, men, gays and people in general a bad name!"
    I couldn't agree more. I can't believe some of his tribe mates haven't bopped him over the head with a coconut or a palm frond or something. Hope he's gone soon.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 8, 2012 12:11:51 PM

7. Don't you realize that this entire show is SCRIPTED? These are actors playing characters - not real people.

Posted by: Myackie | Mar 8, 2012 12:18:20 PM

8. The sad thing is this may be the first gay guy middle America actually relates to. I don't understand why the "tribe" is falling at his feet. He is clearly a rotten person.

Posted by: Craig | Mar 8, 2012 12:18:24 PM

9. I hate this show - and just watched the first video....Ewwwwwwwww I HATE HIS VOICE......he started talking,and HIGH HEELS fell out of his mouth...what a MARY!

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | Mar 8, 2012 12:18:24 PM

10. @Disgusted Gay American

Sorry, but you can attack him for his rotten beliefs and opinions, but attacking him for his "feminine" mannerisms is just giving credence to all the straight bigots who attack any gay man who is more "feminine" by nature. And there's nothing wrong with it if you are! Masculine and feminine are all artificial archetypes that no one really fits into anyway.

Also, who says "Mary" anymore? You have got to be an older "disgusted gay American", lol.

Posted by: Apparatus | Mar 8, 2012 12:27:54 PM

11. "Survivor is still the best recurring show on television"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

(deep breath)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Posted by: endo | Mar 8, 2012 12:29:50 PM

12. MYACKIE- right, entirely scripted...and Obama wasn't born in the US
    .................
    It's true DISGUSTED, Colton really is a Mary which, however, is the most defended of gay types on this site, in fact ALL the living stereotpes are especially defended on this site. Which is fine. I liked Colton to start with because he WAS so out, such a Nancy and all the rest. I think that most people know he's just a type and not a fair symbol for all gay people, in fact until this episode all the other guys in his tribe were totally cool with his many "differences". I loved that about them.

Posted by: uffda | Mar 8, 2012 12:30:47 PM

13. what gives me a giggle is that we get people who say things like "those gay mannerisms are the result of peer-pressure from the stereotypical gay community!!!"

uh...homosayswhat?

Colton and Hissey and other gay republicans prove that sort of statement wrong - if these little wimps have spent so long avoiding other gays, and indeed The Stereotypical Gay Communities, then why does he look and act like...well.... like a redneck's idea of what A Gay Person Is from 1988?

i suppose a lifetime hanging around straight republicans didn't mean their...uh...."energy" rubs off on you.

he's a typical gay republican. this is to be expected. it's actually a wonderful example for queer youth out there - hey kids, take a good look at what not to be when you Come Out!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 8, 2012 12:37:22 PM

14. I've watched every series of Survivor - there have been lots of gay contestants over the years, some noble, some conniving. I don't know to what extent the show is "scripted" but it definitely feels like they're been trying to get more extreme characters and outrageous storylines in there in the last few series. Colton and what happened last night is a good example of this.

Like Chris, I was tempted to switch off about halfway through this episode. Colton's entitled, dismissive attitude made me feel angry. There's no way I'd have agreed to give up immunity and go to tribal council. Even if I'd have been the next to be voted out, I'd have ensured I made his next three days a living hell and tried to provoke him into hitting me so he'd be kicked off the series. But anyway... it's a useful if unpleasant reminder that intolerance comes in many forms, and that we need to work within our own communities at removing it, just as much as we need to remove homophobia from the wider world.

I feel sorry for Colton (if he's not an actor). He's likely to get a lot of negative attention in real life from now on.

Posted by: Tom Stoppard | Mar 8, 2012 12:38:22 PM

15. thought we got rid of the a-list series . this clown would be a perfect cast member. this guy
    should join goproud they so deserve him.

Posted by: walter | Mar 8, 2012 12:42:12 PM

16. I am so embarrassed by him. He has literally set gay men back 50 years. When I was a young gay man the perception was that ALL gays were like him. People would find out you were gay and just assume you were a certain way and believe in all the sterotypes.

That said, gamewise he isnt doing so bad.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Mar 8, 2012 12:46:42 PM

17. He is so nasty for such a young person. The hope here is that he will learn something from his experience. Too much negativity robs the spirit of growth.

Posted by: Brad | Mar 8, 2012 12:52:54 PM

18. Chris - Survivor should not be a guilty pleasue, reading this website should be...and if you post on it, for God's, then you really are guilty. Still it's a pleasure. These are nearly the only gay people I "know" (but not entirely) because I can think of no personally suitable reason to narrow my field so specifically. Stay on board now even if you step into the many set traps of the insecure and angry. It's mostly a daily circus with many unexpected treasures week after week, like Brandon and Dalan, and David Kuria from last week. Thanks for your thoughtful remarks.

Posted by: uffda | Mar 8, 2012 12:55:48 PM

19. He is an evil queen that will use this as his springboard to fame and fortune all thanks to dummies that believe reality tv.

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Mar 8, 2012 1:04:15 PM

20. Myackie - yawn, the old 'reality TV is entirely scripted' nonsense again.

Some of the shows are - absolutely. But a lot of them aren't - and I'd put Survivor in the latter camp. It's just such a lazy stereotype to say they're all fake

Posted by: Remote Patrolled | Mar 8, 2012 1:30:24 PM

21. I am just so depressed by all the comments like those from Homo Genius making it seem like being "this way" is such a horrible thing. Don't you realize, that's as bad as a straight guy exploding with anger over people thinking he might be gay. It's just a sign that you're insecure and that you think being gay is wrong.

So you hating on a gay for having the gall to appear on TV and be who is, is saying that being more "feminine" is wrong. It's ALL O.K.

If the best we've come in "50 years" is that the only acceptable gays that are allowed to put their face forward are "macho" men, then we're so screwed. It's just more self-hatred which does us no good, we should be proud of all our community members, our symbol is a rainbow after all.

Posted by: Apparatus | Mar 8, 2012 1:43:19 PM

22. I like that a gay man of any stripe was chosen, and this is purely fiction created by the editor and producers, so don't judge this person based on a depiction so grossly out of his control -- Remember Reality TV is never the former and barely the latter.
    LOL

Posted by: David B. | Mar 8, 2012 1:54:50 PM

23. The worst type of gay man - nasty, intolerant, bitchy, and republican

Posted by: MalaysianHo | Mar 8, 2012 2:24:31 PM

24. former head of LCR, currently at GOProud

Posted by: t | Mar 8, 2012 2:38:51 PM

25. I like that Colton is on the show. What Colton is is the true face of humanity, proof that gays can be as bigoted and small minded as anyone else.

This are not attributes unique to those belonging to the larger cultural group of heterosexual, homogenous, all-white males, rather human attributes.

I thought when I got out of high school that things would get better, and they only sort of got better, but then I found a whole new high school like environment in the gay community, where people were rewarded for the size of their cocks, how good looking they were on a scale of 1 - 10, and how much money they made.

Colton may be a caricature of a gay man, but if one could smooth out all the BS from his behavior and he would actually be quite representative of gay men in general, at least those men who have not yet discovered they have a soul.

Posted by: Ricco | Mar 8, 2012 2:58:49 PM