Cedric Gervais | Deadmau5 | Madonna | News

Madonna Responds to Deadmau5: VIDEO

Deadmau5_madonna

After being attacked yesterday by Deadmau5 for remarks she made about "Molly" (street for Ecstasy) at the weekend's Ultra Music Festival, Madonna responded during a Q&A session on Twitter last night with the post above.

Said Madonna: "From one mouse to another, I don't support drug use and I never have. I was referring to the song called "Have you seen Molly?" written by my friend Cedric Gervais who I almost worked with on my album."

Deadmau5 appeared to accept the explanation, tweeting: "fair enough, I was just voicing my concerns as I usually do. +1 respect for clearing it up personally."

NOTE: You decide what Gervais' "Molly" is about.

A teaser video for the forthcoming track, posted, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Hahahaha! Good one, Madge.

Posted by: endo | Mar 27, 2012 10:06:22 AM

2. Sorry but as a past Madonna fan she is now annoying as f*ck. Lose the attitude love, the music ain't as good as it used to be.

Posted by: Paulo | Mar 27, 2012 10:06:34 AM

3. Miss Ciconne wants "it" both ways...

No drugs for her, but if her fans indulge,
    what's a girl to do (while batting her eyelashes)???

*taint,taint,taint*

Any publicity to sell that record will do...

Posted by: Marcito | Mar 27, 2012 10:11:19 AM

4. Oh Madge. Trying to remain youthful and relevant. I bet she puts a wire on her daughter's clothes.

Posted by: Mhmm | Mar 27, 2012 10:19:27 AM

5. Well, this PR stunt went exactly as planned.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 27, 2012 10:20:06 AM

6. I'm baffled as to why Andy continues to cover ever single drop of Madonna "news"...Cough,cough. Madonna stoped being relevant when she stopped pushing herself musically and that was circa 1989's Like a Prayer cd.

Posted by: Tagg | Mar 27, 2012 10:31:44 AM

7. what a liar

Posted by: t | Mar 27, 2012 10:43:18 AM

8. andy, please grow up.

the rest of your site isn't worth the adolescent silliness of an outgrown (for most of us) icon

Posted by: t | Mar 27, 2012 10:44:55 AM

9. I'm sorry, but this is not news, let alone gay news. It's manufactured publicity, promulgated by individuals who already have more money than they know what to do with--just so that they can make even more money.

Posted by: atomic | Mar 27, 2012 10:48:31 AM

10. I'm in my 30s and I love Madonna. And, cut the BS, lots and lots of gay men are in my boat. So that's reason enough for Madonna to appear on a gay blog.

You can hate her, but to say she's irrelevant on a gay blog is dishonest.

Posted by: Brad | Mar 27, 2012 11:02:49 AM

11. The idea of Madonna being irrelevant is belied by the facts she still tops the charts, fills concert halls, and performed at the current Superbowl. I also don't personally thing that by her showing support for her friend, even if the song is about ecstasy, shows her support for drug use. Madonna came up from the club scene where drug use was prevalent, and is in an industry of the same sort of use, but she has always been very vocal about being anti drug. She certainly has showed that in her personal practices with her adherence to a, some would say, over the top health routine. I don't see what the problem is, she's not an idiot. Many of us have loved songs that we have known were about drug use even though we may not have espoused their use. Likewise, I remember a lot of ecstacy users, in the mid 80s, loving ABC's Be Near Me, because they thought it was about Molly. Giver her a break.

Posted by: PTBoat | Mar 27, 2012 11:18:09 AM

12. And if she is willing to go to the wire in St. Petersburg, she demonstrates she is more than willing to put her fame to work.

Posted by: Polyboy | Mar 27, 2012 11:18:32 AM

13. @Brad: I'm not saying you can't love your idols. But you're in serious denial if you think that this is actually anything more than a publicity scheme; controversy played out for the attention of the likes of you. Madonna has ALWAYS done this--time and time again, she has proven how adept she is at generating controversy and manipulating the media in order to get rich--that's why she has survived where other aspiring pop divas have long since faded. Do I judge her for that? No, not really. But I'm not so shallow as to fall for it.

And it's for that reason why this isn't news. News is about things that REALLY matter. If this fake argument between two wealthy celebrities is really so important to you that you want to call it "news," then you might want to reevaluate the significance of your life.

Posted by: atomic | Mar 27, 2012 11:19:49 AM

14. I find it funny that people ask why Andy covers Madonna. ARE YOU LIVING UNDER A ROCK? He covers what his audience is interested in. Madonna is part of our culture, like it or not!

As for Madonna's Molly comment, no question, double meaning was intended. That said, when I saw it on video, I couldn't help but feel sad for her. Just like I do when my mother or father try and discuss Justin, Mylie or any other young celebrity with me. It's just odd and far reaching.

Long live Madonna as an icon and can't wait for her to kick butt in Russia where she will most certainly put her considerable celebrity to good use.

Posted by: marc | Mar 27, 2012 11:26:15 AM

15. Oh, and in case you still don't get it--I have bought her music, and I do listen to it. The thing is, I enjoy it for what it is, and I appreciate her music on its own terms. But she's not my idol and I don't feel any affinity for who she is or what she projects herself to be. She's an entertainer and an opportunist who is good at what she does; nothing more. I reserve my respect for those who have devoted themselves selflessly to our cause.

So, notions like "love" and "hate" are just entirely too extreme to describe something as insignificant and trifling as pop music in the context of the things that really matter--like family, progress, true happiness, friendship, equal rights, and finding your passion.

Posted by: atomic | Mar 27, 2012 11:31:08 AM

16. Can somebody explain why she's chosen to devolve into the maturity level of an 18 year old? The woman who recorded 'Erotica' did not record 'MDMA'.

The woman who brought emotion and maturity to songs like 'Ray of Light' or even the flawed 'American Life' did not walk into the recording studio to make 'Gang Bang' or 'Give Me All Your Luvin'. This is an entirely different person.

Posted by: Gregoire | Mar 27, 2012 11:31:33 AM

17. @Atomic,

This is a gay blog. I'm sure Andy (and his readers) enjoy reading a variety of topics regarding celebrity gossip, pictures of cute and hot guys, and straight-up "news."

A cursory look makes it look like Andy tags many things as "news" that may not meet the textbook definition of such (e.g., Glee "news" or "would you speak up if a lesbian were denied a wedding dress on a staged tv show 'news'").

Looking back on my initial comment, though, I don't use the word "news" anywhere. However, Madonna interests me, so I enjoy reading stories about her.

If a privately-owned blog reporting on things that interest its owner bothers you so much that you need to comment on it, "you might want to reevaluate the significance of your life."

Posted by: Brad | Mar 27, 2012 11:35:50 AM

18. Madonna needs to patrol the airwaves. I had the local pop hits station on the drive in and the host said "you know MDNA is the main ingredient in ecstasy.". They were of course being negative and dissing. I may be out of the party loop but What!?

Posted by: MarkUs | Mar 27, 2012 12:04:06 PM

19. @Atomic, Towerload is a blog that contains lots of topics that are interesting to gay people. Madonna is still interesting to gay people, so she is both a topic that I would expect to see on Towerload and one that is presented on news outlets as a whole. Social news is as relevant as political and crime news and has been since the beginning of print.

Posted by: PTBoat | Mar 27, 2012 12:07:07 PM

20. Oh I looked it up. MDMA = Ecstasy = Molly = MDNA. Oh she is
    such a liar. Probably backlash and bad reviews hit on the same day.

Posted by: MarkUs | Mar 27, 2012 12:12:03 PM

21. Does anyone else wonder if Lady Gaga's recent vow of media silence was coordinated with Madonna? It's like these two pass the torch back and forth for spotlight time so they don't seem like fighting cats for all the attention. Personally I appreciate both of their support for the cause, but have gotten more than tired of seeing otherwise great blogs clogged with "news" about these two.

Posted by: castaway | Mar 27, 2012 12:25:50 PM

22. I may not like Madonna and her music, style and persona, but I got to hand it to her.

MARKETING is what she does best, and I would not be surprised if this was all set up. She got her name on the papers, AGAIN, on the same day her album was released. She nailed it!

Posted by: FunMe | Mar 27, 2012 12:29:06 PM

23. I don't like Molly. You say techno, I say heck no!

Posted by: FunMe | Mar 27, 2012 12:31:17 PM

24. I'd like to see a regular post on the arts/opera/classical music here. Club music is ok, but there are many out performers. composers and artists who are far more relevant to gay culture than Madonna/Skrillex/Deadmaus etc. How about it?

Posted by: busytimmy | Mar 27, 2012 12:53:45 PM

25. @BUSYTIMMY

Towleroad constantly posts a full range of current
    "Performing Arts" snippets from all over the world.
    Open your peepers, buddy.

Posted by: Marcito | Mar 27, 2012 1:06:52 PM