Madonna | News | Russia | St. Petersburg

BigGayDeal.com

Madonna Says She Will Go to St. Petersburg, Russia and Condemn Anti-Gay 'Atrocity'

Last week, following the passage by St. Petersburg, Russia of a law banning gay "propaganda" which bars (and imposes fines for) gay groups, gay books and periodicals, LGBT Pride events, and other "promotion" of homosexuality, there were calls from Russian journalists for boycotts of the city.

Tears_madonnaThe calls were directed at Mercedes-Benz or PepsiCo, the two foreign companies that have signed on as partners of this year’s economic forum, and Madonna, who is going there on a tour this year.

Madonna has responded, saying she plans to go and speak out against the law, Bloomberg reports:

Madonna’s first tour in Russia drew the ire of orthodox Christian activists. Now she vows to defy a new law against promoting homosexuality when she performs in President-elect Vladimir Putin’s hometown in August.

“I will come to St. Petersburg to speak up for the gay community and to give strength and inspiration to anyone who is or feels oppressed,” the pop star said by e-mail late yesterday. “I’m a freedom fighter.”

“I don’t run away from adversity,” Madonna, who has used her fame to support gay rights, said in the e-mail. “I will speak during my show about this ridiculous atrocity.”

Image from the new "Girl Gone Wild" video.

Comments

1. Madonna's been our ally since the 80s. I've loved her since then, but am hating all her new songs! HELP!!

Posted by: MATTSY | Mar 21, 2012 3:29:00 PM

2. words are nice; how about some financial input?

$50 mill for a kaballah center?

Posted by: t | Mar 21, 2012 3:30:31 PM

3. As some posters proves again when Madonna is mentioned, You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Way to go guys.

Posted by: Maverick69 | Mar 21, 2012 3:38:13 PM

4. I agree with Little Kiwi, if you're going to criticize someone for not being enough of an advocate for gay rights, then you should show what entitles to make such a judgement. If you cannot, then expect criticism and stop being a drama queen about it.

Posted by: Winston | Mar 21, 2012 3:40:47 PM

5. many gay men feel "threatened" by Madonna the same way they feel threatened by President Obama - the awful fear that the person they've adamantly chosen to dislike is doing more for them than they'd like to admit.

what Madonna "represents" to these 'men' is something they've tragically spent their adult lives trying to distance themselves from, for no logical reason.

as gay republicans are furious that a black liberal man whose middle name is Hussein is doing more for them than their fellow White Conservatives, there are going to be insecure gay men who are terribly angry that the women, and culture, they've worked so hard to distance themselves from is actually paving the road to Equality in culture more than anything they've ever done.

oh well. not my mess :D

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 21, 2012 3:42:13 PM

6. LittleKiwi - this is a public forum you don't pay for or own yet most of your time on TR is spent self-righteously shouting down those you disagree with. You have no right to demand they publicly identify themselves. If I say I don't like a movie or an album do I need to justify my opinion to you? No. Do I have a right to say so without you raging on me? Yes.

The irony is that if anyone contradicts you like you do them you fly into a rage and we get more of your vitriol. No one here owes you anything.

Your bitchy tirades, tantrums and personal attacks undermine the highly intelligent man you obviously are. You can make a point and disagree without bullying people into silence. Stop personalizing every disagreement and respect other people's right to express themselves. Even Madonna agrees with that (hence the song).

Posted by: Mark | Mar 21, 2012 4:24:15 PM

7. You all be straight tripping boos!

Posted by: Junior | Mar 21, 2012 4:26:29 PM

8. if nobody here owes me anything then why are you guys complaining as if MADONNA owes you something?

i'm not bullying anyone into silence. it's not my fault they can't back their stuff up.

i'm not stopping anyone's right to express themselves - they're wholly free to anonymously "express themselves" and expose themselves as the plebeian folks with middling intelligence that they are.

if you have a right to say it, i have a right to rebuttal. you seem to be angry that my rebuttals dont' from a place of anonymity like yours, and others, do.

again, that's not my problem.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 21, 2012 4:40:59 PM

9. It will make a welcome change from the last time this talentless (can't sing, dance or act) bimbo was there. When the LGBT community was attacked for marching in Moscow-Elton John condemned it, castigated it. Madonna thanked the Lord Mayor for allowing her to perform. Some advocate. LOL.

Posted by: Molc | Mar 21, 2012 4:41:39 PM

10. and when asked to perform at Rush Limbaugh's third wedding, Elton said "yes, of course"

just sayin'.

you gotta hand it to Madonna, though - despite the fact that she's apparently talentless, she's one of the most famous women the world has ever seen, and one of the wealthiest.

well, she must have done something right, eh? :-)

i'll say it again - rather than saying madonna isn't a good enough advocate, what are you all SPECIFICALLY doing to be Visible and Vocal Advocates in your own daily lives?

hint - bitching about Madonna on a gay website doesn't count.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 21, 2012 4:45:42 PM

11. @KIWI, why don't you take a day off and go to the beach or do something fun? I seriously think you need a vacation.

Posted by: Vlad | Mar 21, 2012 5:02:51 PM

12. P.S. I'm starting to suspect that you are also posting as RICK. You complement one another just a little to perfectly.

Posted by: Vlad | Mar 21, 2012 5:05:44 PM

13. you no opinions on the topic, just on me? how flattering!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 21, 2012 5:08:27 PM

14. I don't really care for her, but I certainly appreciate her using her platform to speak out against Russia's homophobic laws.

But...a freedom fighter? If Madonna is a freedom fighter for just speaking up, then what the hell is GaGa? A civil rights leader? Madonna isn't the one bringing discharged soldiers to the VMA's, or marching on Washington, or holding her own political rallies.

Posted by: Thomas | Mar 21, 2012 5:13:02 PM

15. Thank you for proving my point, Kiwi. Maybe someday your maturity will catch up with your intelligence. Running through life like an irate diva just makes you look pathetic. Slogging into personal attacks to reinforce logical arguments just makes you look desperate. Anyone who would demand personal data and a philanthropic resume from anyone who disagrees with them on a public discussion forum needs a reality check. The people casually commenting here are behaving appropriately. You, on the other hand, are not. And until you start posting with your real first and last name with your contact info linked instead of "LittleKiwi" your argument that anyone who doesn't is a coward or less of a man makes you look like a huge hypocrite. Although I agree with you often, you are no more or less than anyone else on this forum. Stop holding court. Like I said before, you are embarrassing yourself by going to such ridiculous extremes.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 21, 2012 5:22:01 PM

16. right. because you posting comments to get my attention with various aliases aint cowardly ;-)

what, by the way, is your opinion on this Madonna story? that she's NOT going to speak out when she performs there?
    uh, ok.

now, if she does INDEED speak out whilst performing are y'all prepared to a serving of humble pie? :D

i'm not holding court, it only seems that way because i'm one of the only people with the balls to show his face.

you're more than free to do the same.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 21, 2012 5:26:32 PM

17. btw, click my name and you'll see a couple hundred pics and videos and postings featuring me, my name, my family, their names, and video of us.

dunce. :D

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 21, 2012 5:33:12 PM

18. YOu are so used to this kind of things here in the USA, but you don't know what that means for people around the globe, it may no make a big change, but it gives hope!! who cares if she does it for the money, the action she takes gives hope to others to speak against it, to stand up and fight!!!

Posted by: Ariel | Mar 21, 2012 5:34:56 PM

19. My posts keep disappearing and it's hard re-typing them and I forget what I wanted to say in the first place and the ipad keyboard sucks.

Posted by: Winston | Mar 21, 2012 5:38:49 PM

20. Divine Diva change those stupid russian minds and evil laws with your art. with her all the way. brilliant. powerful. true.

Posted by: Gilbert | Mar 21, 2012 5:41:27 PM

21. well, i suppose we'll all just have to wait and see.

it would make for a sensational international scandal if she did indeed speak out. even better if she gets arrested.

and since the naysayers are calling her a "media/publicity whore" why not then accept a reality - even a media whore can use their standing to draw attention to a Bigger Issue.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 21, 2012 5:42:03 PM

22. Come on. The Russian Federation would never put her in prison. And yes, I like her, but she's a major star. She will not be arrested no matter what she says.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 21, 2012 5:54:15 PM

23. she'll go there, "not" lipsynch much, wear next to nothing and dance.

she promises to shake her bony finger at all of the bad people writing those law things, and being mean to her favorite financial supporters worldwide, us gays. yes, even rubles fill her coffers.

she also promises to cross her brow with the assistance of many asistants. liz excluded, of course.

i used to like this woman a ton, but i'm just too busy to worry about these "artists" and their causes anymore. she's as bad, and as big, a hypocrite as Sean Penn, Ashton Kutcher and Justin Timberlake being spokes people for better treatment of women worldwide via the don't buy sex campaign.

Posted by: vwdavy | Mar 21, 2012 6:06:21 PM

24. Wouldn't you love it if the official reason for World War 3 was "Russia Kidnapped Madonna"?

Posted by: Winston | Mar 21, 2012 6:07:15 PM

25. I say more power to her.

Unfortunately some Russian activists think this is not enough. And that Madonna should reach out to find them, because they're too busy with other things, so if she doesn't find them and donate all the proceeds to whatever they demand, they're going to picket her concert. Sigh.

Posted by: KevinVt | Mar 21, 2012 6:20:25 PM