Baseball | News

BigGayDeal.com

Police: Man Extorted MLB Player Carl Pavano Over Alleged 3-Year Relationship

CarlPavanoPolice in Southington, CT, searched 36-year old Christian Bedard's home after he allegedly tried to extort money and a Range Rover from Minnesota Twins pitcher Carl Pavano in exchange for his silence on an alleged gay relationship the men had in high school.

Sports Illustrated reports that Pavano's sister, Michelle DeGennaro, contacted police after Bedard hit her up on Facebook and claimed to be shopping a book about his 3-year love affair with the baseball all-star and former Yankee.

According to a search warrant affidavit, Bedard wrote to DeGannaro, "I have serious juicy book offers…to the point that the only way your brother is getting out of this ... is with a heartfelt apology and a navy range rover with tan leather.""

He continued, "If I'm going to drop a 1.2 million dollar book deal I want something." He also claimed to have depositions from people he told about his and Pavano's gay love, and allegedly asked for cash.

Upset over the messages, DeGannaro went to police, who launched the search.

Officers executed the search warrant at Bedard's home on March 21 and seized items, but wouldn't say what they were. Bedard said on his Facebook page that police took his laptop computer, material relating to his relationship with Pavano and the book he was writing. Bedard hasn't been charged.

The search warrant affidavit, first reported by the Record-Journal of Meriden, includes copies of several Facebook messages Bedard allegedly sent to DeGennaro. In the messages, Bedard said Pavano was his "first love" and they had a three-year relationship when they were teenagers growing up in Southington, the affidavit says.

Bedard claims he and Carl were more or less out to close friends and family. "For years, my physical high school relationship with Carl Pavano has been well-known to my close friends and family," he said in a statement. "Carl Pavano's sister, Michelle DeGennaro, contacted me on Facebook asking under what conditions would I not talk about my relationship with Carl."

The Range Rover request was "in jest," he says, and he in no way tried to extort Pavano.  "I did not attempt to extort money from Carl Pavano," Bedard said. "I have not been charged with any crime. I will allow my local police department to conclude their investigation.

"I feel a bit violated, but I hope they charge me with something, because I will bring it to trial. Finally I'll be able to tell my story and I will have my closure, which was the whole point to begin with."

Pavano had no comment.

Here, via My Journal, is a picture of Pavano and Bedard in high school:

PavanoBedard

Comments

1. Also looks like it was getting talked about in some circles for a little bit in Nov & Dec like on this site: http://gay-or-straight.com/Carl%20Pavano

Posted by: sara | Mar 29, 2012 10:47:16 PM

2. Gay men are pretty well educated, we know extortion is a crime and I doubt any of us would be dumb enough to put it in writing in a f'n FB message.

btw... let's see. Either he gets $1,200,000 or a Range Rover. It's obvious he wasn't serious.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 29, 2012 11:00:39 PM

3. I'm still trying to figure out why Bedard feels "wronged." He was doing a jock in high school who was way out of his league....this needs closure?

Posted by: Grant | Mar 29, 2012 11:01:59 PM

4. I had sex with guys when I was in high school, but most of them ended up married to women. It's normal for some teenage boys to experiment with gay sex.

Posted by: Dan | Mar 29, 2012 11:05:31 PM

5. I hate to say "I told you so" but I told you so. Either Pro Sports athletes start to come out on their own, or they face being outed. In this day and age, it's only a matter of time before they're caught red-handed.

The onus is not only on us to accept them, and forgive the damage their previous closetedness has done us and children and families, but to accept the fact if they choose to be with a woman in the here and now.

This will happen. Mark my words. Many, many more where Pavano came from.

Posted by: tomjck22112 | Mar 29, 2012 11:25:58 PM

6. 1.2 million for a book about a high school affair?? How long will the "book" be - 5 pages?I don't think there will be any interest

Posted by: ajthedj | Mar 29, 2012 11:37:53 PM

7. Wow, he's a rough looking 36. He did not age well at all.

Posted by: Diana | Mar 29, 2012 11:40:52 PM

8. With this type of ish I don't how any Gay person can be proude of this!

Posted by: CHRIS DACHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Mar 30, 2012 12:56:22 AM

9. They probably had a physical relationship. It's unfortunate that this guy wants to make the most of it because Pavano is where he is. I mean most kids do experiment to get experiment. It may not mean you are gay, but 3 years, hmm!

Posted by: Gay Chelsea | Mar 30, 2012 2:30:32 AM

10. What Sports need now, more then ever is their own Gay/Straight Alliance like association. There are professional and amateur athletes who needs guidelines and standards. I am against anyone being outed without their permission. There might be some exceptions. I knew this kind of blackmail happened in daily life situations 50 years ago... however, I am not surprised by this,either. I just hope that this does not ruin Pavano's career. He'll needs new friends he can trust. I hope Mr. Bedard does not get celebrity treatment by the media, gay or straight.

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin | Mar 30, 2012 2:40:35 AM

11. I read the ESPN.com article about this and shockingly the comments were fairly mature. I even thought that ESPN must have deleted all the homophobic ones, but I did see one at the bottom. Believe it or not, I think that's a good thing, because there were probably a good 30 or so that took the mature, responsible tact: whether or not he's gay, it doesn't matter. (The rest were Yankee fans who, thankfully, weren't anti-gay, just anti-Pavano... LOL.)

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 30, 2012 3:06:29 AM

12. I agree with AW. No one writes a book about a high-school affair to gain closure. If he truly wants closure (assuming this is all truthful) then he writes a long heartfelt letter and buys a 45-cent stamp. I smell rotten fish...

Posted by: Oliver | Mar 30, 2012 3:56:39 AM

13. Wow, he's my age, minus a year. He looks about ten years older. No offense meant, Carl.

Posted by: ophu | Mar 30, 2012 4:07:05 AM

14. Looks pretty good to me :)

Besides, only homiphobes should be outed

Posted by: rick scatorum | Mar 30, 2012 5:33:24 AM

15. Good work. Thanks a lot for post!

Posted by: custom term papers | Mar 30, 2012 5:40:57 AM

16. Wow, Pavano is quite a hottie.

Posted by: Peter | Mar 30, 2012 9:09:56 AM

17. Too soon to make any assumptions.
    Take a lesson from this week's Zimmerman public defense-makers.

Posted by: Gene Touchet | Mar 30, 2012 9:36:45 AM

18. Sigh. I wish people understood these issues better in general. Technically, this can't be extortion based on the facts presented. It could be considered blackmail, as that is commonly understood. You might toss in libel, but that's a civil issue. Where was the threat to do harm to person or property? Now, in Hollywood they really know the nuances of blackmail. Agents get gay stars to say and do all sorts of things under the threat of losing their careers, including getting married and paying lots of "protection" money to PR firms. No one gets arrested for extortion.

Posted by: anon | Mar 30, 2012 9:52:16 AM

19. A 36 year old man needs "closure" over a high school relationship? It was 18 years ago! Get over it dude and grow up!

Posted by: Frank | Mar 30, 2012 10:45:47 AM

20. Whoo cares ????
    Sad someone would try to get money from someone they dated basically a generation ago. To write a book about it is trashy. Only would be forgivable if the on being "outed" was an anti gay politician or someone at NOM...

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Mar 30, 2012 11:23:34 AM

21. Of course nobody should be forced to come out. However, if you're going to have a relationship (or have had a relationship) it is unreasonable, and maybe a bit unfair, to expect your partner to keep "your" secret. Unless you entered into the relationship with an agreed upon decision that neither of you would ever disclose the identify of the other then you have put the other party into a position of not only keeping your story private but keeping their own. While you may never become famous enough that anyone would actually care about your sexual orientation there is always that possibility that you might so, unless you choose to be celibate (or always remain anonymous) you must realize that your "secret" isn't really a secret if at least one other person knows.

Posted by: ThomT | Mar 30, 2012 2:54:39 PM

22. This is funny the only way this guy would get $ 1.2 M is if he was also the gay lover of Tom Cruise and George Clooney. Maybe he would get $10,200 advance for this book LOl

Posted by: Kim | Mar 30, 2012 3:16:27 PM

23. Whether or not the story's true, the guy's an extortionist either way. What a pig!

Posted by: Eli | Mar 30, 2012 4:02:09 PM

24. If I had a Dollar for every "Strait" man that had played around sexually as a teenager with another "Strait" male friend, I would be a millionair. How is a boy going to know if he is strait or not if he does not try out his options? High School Sex! About as meaningful as saying a kid of 18 smoking half a pack of cigarets and deciding he did not like them and never smoked again being classed a "Smoker" at age 80 because of 10 cigarets.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Mar 30, 2012 5:21:33 PM

25. @Michael: Jeffrey Dahmer killed dudes he was attracted to, had sex with their corpses, kept their severed heads in his kitchen freezer and would snack on their remains.

I'm just curious where you'd plot that little gem on your Venn Diagram of well educated gay men?

Posted by: FFS | Mar 30, 2012 10:50:59 PM