Colin Clark | Football | Gay Slurs | News | Sports

Houston Player Calls Ball Boy a 'F**kin' Faggot', May Be Disciplined by Major League Soccer

Clark

Major League Soccer is reviewing an incident at a game on Friday in night in which Houston Dynamo midfielder Colin Clark called a ball boy a "f**kin' faggot" during a game. The slur was picked up by a mic and caught on camera.

Watch video of the incident, AFTER THE JUMP...

Colin_clarkESPN reports:

"We are aware of the incident involving Houston Dynamo midfielder Colin Clark during the game in Seattle Friday night, and his public apology for it," MLS said in a statement, according to the Houston Chronicle. "MLS is conducting a thorough review of the facts and examining possible disciplinary action."

Clark, on the sideline for a throw-in, had reached out for the ball boy to throw the ball to him. When the ball boy failed to do so, Clark directed the gay slur and a profanity at him, with an NBC microphone nearby.

He offered his apology through tweets on Saturday. Tweeted Clark:

"I'd like to offer a sincere apology to everyone who watched the game, especially the ball boy for whom I used awful language towards...I didn't mean to disrespect anyone and am sorry for letting my emotions get the best of me. It's not who I am and it won't happen again....I'm very sorry for my actions tonight and I would love for you to consider me a #soccerally moving forward."

Watch video of the incident, AFTER THE JUMP...

Twitter_clark

Comments

1. Please no more apologizes we heard them too many times... and frankly cannot be accepted.

Posted by: Dexter67 | Mar 26, 2012 7:29:29 AM

2. Sounds like a genuine apology. And my goodness he is a cutie!

Posted by: Jason 2 | Mar 26, 2012 7:29:55 AM

3. I'm tired of seeing the same bigoted, homophobic remarks spewing out of people's mouths and then having them "apologize" for it afterward when they're caught. They must be held accountable. Slapping them on the wrist is not good enough. This guy, and everyone else like him, needs to be FIRED, ostracized, and made to realize that an apology means nothing.

"Soccer ally" my A**. If you really were an "ally," the mere THOUGHT of using that kind of language to demean someone else you consider beneath you would not have even entered you mind.

Posted by: atomic | Mar 26, 2012 7:37:03 AM

4. "It's not who I am and it won't happen again"

It's obviously exactly who you are. In an unguarded moment when "edit mode" was turned off on your brain, this is the garbage that naturally came spilling out. If it isn't who you are at your core when you aren't "watching and controlling what you say", you wouldn't have said it.

Posted by: Tim NC | Mar 26, 2012 7:38:19 AM

5. I am so tired of hearing public figures explaining, "It's not who I am" ... and blaming heat-of-the-moment situations for saying something offensive.

Those high pressure situations -- when you're not taking time to filter yourself for political correctness -- *most* illustrate who you REALLY are and what you REALLY think.

Saying it isn't who they are is basically saying they're sorry they got caught; not sorry they did something wrong. I'm much more receptive to an apology when the offender admits that they do have a prejudice but that they're working to overcome it.

Posted by: sparks | Mar 26, 2012 7:39:33 AM

6. Sure. Clearly, he meant "f**kin' faggot" in an entirely respectful way. Otherwise known as the didn't-expect-to-get-caught way.

That said, I imagine being a Major League Soccer player in a country that doesn't give a toss about soccer at all is punishment in and of itself.

Posted by: FFS | Mar 26, 2012 7:45:10 AM

7. Like so many of us, I'm sick of the "not who I am" copout. As long as they keep saying "this isn't me" there is no motivation for them to actually change anything about themselves. Look, if you want to be a homophobic jerk, fine, be one. But take responsibility for it. If you don't want to be one, then take responsibility for yourself and change.

Posted by: Eric | Mar 26, 2012 7:55:06 AM

8. Well, perhaps I'm a bit too pollyanna-ish, but the apology seemed to come much more quickly than we've seen in similar situations ( Ratner )--although it's a lot easier to apologize in a tweet than it is in person. I do agree that actions speak louder than words, so it will be interesting to see how he follows up his claims of being an 'ally'...

Posted by: Adam | Mar 26, 2012 8:01:52 AM

9. I agree, take responsibility for the words that came out of your mouth. It WAS you and you DID mean to disrespect somebody.

Posted by: Paul in Charleston | Mar 26, 2012 8:02:58 AM

10. Talk about Effen "f's". The guy is a cutie, so his behavior is forgiven, and you think he is sincere?

LOL

Whatever!!

I want to be a better person, better than my impulses, better than the impulses of others, but there must be some standard of behavior for what is and is not acceptable.

I do not speak for others, but me, personally, I am a little tired with jocks using adrenaline, testosterone, frustration, and whatever else pops inside their head they think will pass as an excuse for abysmal public, televised behavior.

The reason they are paid the big bucks, overpaid some would say, is they are supposed to be professionals. Is it too much, really, to expect a professional athlete to be as athletic in how they comport themselves before the entire world, as their ability to run up and down a huge pasture for two hours?

He humiliated this ball boy in front of the world, so in front of the world he should personally apologize to him, and do something special for him.

Anything less is disingenuous.

Posted by: Ricco | Mar 26, 2012 8:06:52 AM

11. I agree with Dexter and disagree with Jason2. I am sick of hearing empty apologies simply as PR moves. How does someone in this day and time with all of the racists, homophobes, etc, still come out with those types of remarks if they don't mean them. NO MORE APOLOGIES. Fire his ass (and I don't give a rat's ass how cute he is Jason2 - Jeez, is this what we allow ourselves to be reduced to - we will overlook injustice if the person is cute or hot enough. Shame!)

Posted by: JHR459 | Mar 26, 2012 8:17:01 AM

12. What even prompted him to call him that? Am I missing something on the tape?

Posted by: Mike | Mar 26, 2012 8:19:16 AM

13. And after reading the rest of the posts (perhaps I could have read everything before I posted), it would appear the the majority of us are in agreement and I imagine this is also reflected in our larger community as well.APOLOGIES WON'T WORK ANYMORE!

Posted by: JHR459 | Mar 26, 2012 8:21:25 AM

14. Actually I think this was a teachable moment. Clark now understands how his actions can impact people and hopefully he's dealing with this issue in his behavior. Granted, it was made public thanks to a mike at field level and might not have been caught had it been in another part of the field, but it was caught and Clark is now dealing with the issue.

I'm for second chances, if the person is willing to take the effort to rectify the situation. We'll see what Clark's follow-up is like. Now if it's continued regressive behavior, then that's a problem.

Reading some of the responses in here if I applied your logic on this matter, many of you would be bumped off the board for your actions and attitudes. Second chances go both ways.

Posted by: RBearSAT | Mar 26, 2012 8:24:22 AM

15. @RBEARSAT...... There is no inconsistency in believing in second chances and also expecting the person's apology to acknowledge that they do hold homophobic beliefs and will work to change instead of making the claim that this outburst didn't represent who they really were.

Posted by: Tim NC | Mar 26, 2012 8:35:19 AM

16. Oh honey, you play for MLS. This is not the Champions League. You can pick up your own damn ball. #soccerdiva

Posted by: endo | Mar 26, 2012 8:45:09 AM

17. Make this Southern filth suffer the same humiliation he put the ball boy through. Throw him out on the street. Wastrels such as he need to learn there are consequences for actions.

Posted by: Sarm | Mar 26, 2012 8:54:00 AM

18. @ RBEARSAT:

Thank you for your clear, precise comment! ~Marcito

Posted by: Marcito | Mar 26, 2012 8:55:53 AM

19. Of course he apologized (and fast), because he wants to keep his job. But don't let that fool you, this guy's a royal *ss h*le. Add him to the list...

Posted by: Oliver | Mar 26, 2012 9:01:48 AM

20. @Sarm: Colin Clark is from Colorado.

Posted by: endo | Mar 26, 2012 9:05:54 AM

21. Colin Clark is only sorry that he got caught by the microphone. Pathetic little dweeb.

Posted by: jason | Mar 26, 2012 9:10:59 AM

22. @RBEARSAT
    "Reading some of the responses in here if I applied your logic on this matter, many of you would be bumped off the board for your actions and attitudes."

Bumped off what board? For what actions and attitudes?

Posted by: Oliver | Mar 26, 2012 9:14:06 AM

23. I hope he doesn't have kids.

Posted by: gwynethcornrow | Mar 26, 2012 9:47:50 AM

24. If this guy spouted a racist or anti-Semitic slur, he wouldn't get away with saying "oops, that's not who I am"-- the question would be why did that word come to mind for him in the first place. If normal people get angry or upset, they might through out a curse word in the heat of the moment like "damn" or "sh*t"-- but people don't throw out bigoted terms unless they're a bigot.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Mar 26, 2012 9:55:55 AM

25. I understand sometimes we say what we are not suppose to. And sometime apologies are genuine. I believe here they are. BUT still, why so often those words?

Posted by: Matt26 | Mar 26, 2012 9:59:14 AM