2012 Election | Barack Obama | Guns | News | Rick Santorum

As Santorum Shoots Target, Woman Yells 'Pretend It's Obama': VIDEO

Santorum

Rick Santorum was campaigning at a gun range in Monroe, Louisiana today. As he fired a .45 caliber semi-automatic Colt pistol at a silhouette target, a woman shouted out, "pretend it's Obama."

The Secret Service is investigating. The AP reports: "Santorum was wearing protective ear muffs. He said later that he didn't hear the remark but denounced it as 'absurd.'"

Watch the video (the remark comes at about :36), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. There was a "fantasy" filmed movie of W Bush being assassinated while he was in office made by some lunatic. Honestly if the two extremes politically would just stand back and look at themselves. Pot! Kettle! Pot! Kettle! Pot! Kettle!

Posted by: MarkUs | Mar 23, 2012 5:19:13 PM

2. Good point markus

Posted by: Mic | Mar 23, 2012 5:34:20 PM

3. This is just DISGUSTING! So incredibly insensitive with Trayvon Martin case in the news. These guys live under Rocks!

Posted by: SOLUS | Mar 23, 2012 5:41:42 PM

4. Kiwi, I see your point about the nude photos. But you have to understand something: most people don't look as good naked as you do! (And no, I didn't buy the book to see the full photo, I settled for the picture on your website.)

As to the woman's comments, well, sometimes a woman DOES deserve to be called "cuntybombastic." What the hell was this woman hoping to achieve with a dumb-ass remark like that? I can't imagine she really wants to shoot Obama. Some people have a warped sense of humor.

I've never been much of a gun lover myself because in the culture of New York City gun loving is considered strange, but I do understand second-amendment fans and their respect for gun culture. As to why the targets are made out to be people and not animals (and this is a good question) I'll take a guess and say that this is because guns can also be used for self-defense as well as animal hunting.

Posted by: Mary | Mar 23, 2012 6:41:20 PM

5. actually jack

per all studies and the pentagon itself

shooting at human shaped targets does desensitize one to be able to fire at an actual human

The pentagon did a lot of studies on the subject...due to many drafted soldiers back in the day being unable and unwilling to fire on fellow human beings

The pentagon figured out what to do thanx to the studies &....

The first targets are not human shaped at all.......then one is worked up to a target like the silhouette human shape and then one is worked up to more human like targets and so on till eventually one is shooting at a a human person.

also a huge reason many video games are financed by the pentagon specifically the milltary genre games...to jump start the training process on our next generations of soldiers to more easily be able to shoot a real person

Posted by: say what | Mar 23, 2012 7:14:26 PM

6. PS

@ Markus a link to something about said supposed movie would be nice since I personally have never heard of such and not sure how many others have also never heard of such

Posted by: say what | Mar 23, 2012 7:16:19 PM

7. SAY WHAT:

You're cherry-picking. ALONG with using human-likeness targets, there were SEVERAL other aspects of their training such as threat assessment, etc...

Even ignoring that point, there is a difference between desensitizing and teaching that it is OK. Desensitizing doesn't provide the affirmative impetus to go out and do something. It only has an effect on someone who is likely (predisposed, ordered to, etc...) do the action in the first place.

Like I said, I shoot marksmanship with circle targets, but when I do defense training, it's always with silhouettes. I am no more likely to go shoot someone out of anger than I was 10 years ago. Meanwhile, should I ever have to, I can now defend myself and hit center mass of a threat.

It's amazing the lengths that people will go in order to avoid expecting any kind of personal responsibility from people.

Posted by: Jack | Mar 23, 2012 7:21:04 PM

8. Say What, Markus is right. I heard of this movie several years ago.

Posted by: Mary | Mar 23, 2012 7:25:47 PM

9. Saw What:

Here's one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_a_President_(2006_film)

Let's also mention the countless effigies of Bush hung or otherwise mutilated while he was in office. If you think that these people are any more disrespectful towards Obama than people were to Bush, you are burying your head in the sand. And you know, I'm ok with the disrespect. This country is rooted in skepticism of government authority, and brash words about political leaders. It's more American than baseball and apple pie.

Posted by: Jack | Mar 23, 2012 7:28:13 PM

10. I'm as liberal as it gets, but gimme a break...this is no worse than what was said about Bush. Some of the things said and done toward Bush made me as an American citizen uncomfortable toward the end of his presidency. I mean, there was posters throughout parts of Miami that made Bush look like a Nazi. They were taken down of course, but the reaction to Bush was even far more militant.

Posted by: T.Lives | Mar 23, 2012 7:58:06 PM

11. Don't forget there was a tape on late night TV on CBS showing Bush giving a speech and "SNIPERS WANTED SNIPERS WANTED" flashed beneath him. Think that would be broadcast on CBS with Obama?

Posted by: MarkUs | Mar 23, 2012 9:19:02 PM

12. And what do you expect from the Tea Party crowd?! Obama get well speeches?!

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 23, 2012 10:00:55 PM

13. I don't care for this silver tongue sign off your constitutional rights president, but the violent rhetoric needs to stop. Just don't vote for him. If you feel he doesn't stand for you, don't vote for him. That simple. End of story. No violence needed.

Posted by: chris255 | Mar 24, 2012 2:52:55 AM

14. Imagine:

The 2012 Republican presidential ticket is
    Romney/Santorum and they win.

The Republicans gain a majority in The House and Senate.

The Republicans gain control of even more state governments.

A suggestion:

Keep your passports at the ready and at least one suitcase filled with a few days' clothing and necessities.

Start investigating gay-friendly countries to where you might be able to emigrate. Then, learn the language with enough fluency to get by.

A few possibilities:

Canada. Uruguay. Argentina. New Zealand. A few European countries. Costa Rica. Cuba.

Prepare yourselves, gentlemen and ladies. The above scenario is a very, very real possibility. And for those of you who don't think so, think again.

This is not your mother's America anymore. It has the potential to become something far worse and more sinister.

Anyone here who discounts or dismisses the rabid, pathological rage that possesses and obsesses the right-wing, conservatives; or misunderstands those seemingly-moderate (mostly white) Americans who feel "their" America is not "what it used to be" and would vote for a Romney or a Santorum or a Gingrich or a Paul to "send a message to the Washington elites", is simply NOT paying attention.

Your bad if all the above comes to pass.

Don't say you were never warned.

Posted by: jamal49 | Mar 24, 2012 12:33:44 PM

15. Clearly, this woman believes that people who are different from herself (not only non-white, but also non-ignorant) are inferior and unAmerican, and therefore, undeserving to live. Oh, she's a Right-to-Lifer alright!

Posted by: starshipcaptain | Mar 24, 2012 10:04:19 PM

16. Last year I use to read the hard right wing hysteria posted on Fox Disqus comments site. The ignorance, mean spiritedness and just plain vitriol was stunning. Now I read the hard left's mean spirited, hateful, and vitriolic comments on this site and they are equally stunning. The reason may be that average, hard working Americans go about their daily lives without the need to post comments on internet sites. So we are left with a lot of fringe people who have the need to convince everybody that they are right. From the angry and mean tone of many of the comments on both sites, I think many of the commentors are friendless. I can't imagine that many of them are fun to be around.

Posted by: jack | Mar 25, 2012 11:34:38 PM