Chile | Crime | Daniel Zamudio | News

BigGayDeal.com

Neo-Nazis Attack Gay Chilean Man, Slice His Ear, Burn Him, and Brand Him with Swastikas

Zamudio

A hideous attack has been reported on a gay man in Chile. Daniel Zamudio remains hospitalized in a coma after a group of neo-Nazis attacked him over the weekend. Chilean news reports can be found here, here, and here.

Daniel_zamudioMichael Lavers at EDGE translates the reports:

El Mercurio reported that Daniel Zamudio, 24, was found in Parque San Borja early Saturday morning. El Movimiento de Integración y Liberación Homosexual (Movilh), the country’s largest LGBT rights group, told La Tercera that Zamudio’s attackers struck him with blunt objects before they cut off part of his ear, carved swastikas into his abdomen and burned other parts of his body with cigarettes.

Zamudio’s mother told the newspaper that her son had gone to work at a store on Friday, but she did not know his whereabouts until he was found in a park the following day. She told La Tercera that neo-Nazi groups had previously threatened Zamudio inside a popular Santiago nightclub.

More information is available for Spanish speakers at MOVILH's (Chile's LGBT rights group) Facebook page.

Said MOVILH in a statement: "We condemn this cruel act that tramples the equal dignity of all human beings. We ask the Chilean authorities to bring the guilty to justice. A crime this hateful cannot go unpunished."

Ricky Martin has also spoken out about the attack, tweeting: "No más odio,no más discriminación. Espero que se haga justicia YA. Mucha luz para Daniel y toda su familia."

Rm

Comments

1. Rory,

I think the poster asserting a Chilean connection to Nazis fleeing Germany was just confusing Chile with Argentina. Sadly, we in the U.S. tend to be shockingly ignorant of the diversity among the Spanish-speaking nations to our south.

Posted by: Todd | Mar 7, 2012 1:33:16 AM

2. Of the three links provided at the start of this article, only the first is from a Chilean newspaper. The second is from Perú and the third is from Bogotá's El Tiempo, the country's paper of record.

It was interesting for me as a gay Colombian to read the most of the 254 comments left on El Tiempo site. As a gay man, the thought of me being able to lead an open life in Colombia just wasn't in the cards. I knew full well the bigotry and ignorance that my own family held and they are by Colombian standards very liberal. They certainly have been accepting of me but I don't think I could ever introduce a partner to some of them.

There were certainly a fair number of bigoted, hateful comments among those 254 comments. Most of those had religious overtones but there a few that really crossed a line. One that found just plain weird written supposedly by an ex-gay saying how glad he was to have been freed from this disease. But to be honest, I was really buoyed by how many heterosexual Colombians denounce bigotry and defended the right of homosexuals to be who they are.

Bogotá is actually from what I hear becoming quite the gay destination. Perhaps not Rio or Buenos Aires yet, but it does have a lively gay district. Still, I know my countrymen too well. Bogotá is not Colombia and being gay in Colombia still has risks.

This story, the appalling attack of Daniel Zamudio, brings me to tears. He was branded like some animal. Lucky he is alive and it looks like Chile will toughen its hate laws. Much love to Daniel Zamudio and his family. ¡Fuerza Daniel, te amamos!

Posted by: Charles Lemos | Mar 7, 2012 2:21:16 AM

3. I'm Chilean and I agree with Rory. Chile has a considerable mestizo population AND a sizable population of European descent (I descend from Catalonians). And the 'Germans' (Alsatians, Austrians, Bavarians, Prussians, Swiss) have been in Chile since the XIX century. I think it's a big mistake to equate White people with racist violence. Many Chilean neonazis, for instance, could be ground to a pulp by their European 'brethren' just because of their looks/complexion. Intolerance and violent ideologies go way beyond skin color.

Posted by: Andreu | Mar 7, 2012 3:23:16 AM

4. Chile is built of many races: Italians, germans, spanish, croatians, irish, english, etc

I do not know why some americans think that all south americans are short, dark skin, indian faces. That is totally fake, chileans are white like argentinians and uruguayans.

I hope Daniel get recover soon, he was a very good looking lad and very intelligent. My prayes to him :)

Posted by: Mark | Mar 24, 2012 9:48:10 AM

5. I'm from Chile so for clearing some of the doubts. Indeed Chila has German population but the "neo nazis" who killed Daniel weren't German https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/426841_10150722031531963_192836511962_11238636_2051270871_n.jpg There you have a photo of the four guys who were arrested for this crime. The call themselves "neo nazis" just because they hate gay people :/

Posted by: Roxana | Mar 24, 2012 10:52:02 PM

6. These Crimes can happen any where, in any country. I am in UK and I could say it doesn't normally happen here but then I see all the hatred around and I believe it can happen here as well. I think it is a shame for LGBT can not be ourselves. We are in the 21st century but sometimes it seems we are still in the 18th, 19th or even early 20th century. Nazis was and still is all about hatred. They can never know what love is with all that hatred in their souls.
    My heart and prayers go out to Daniel Zamudio and his family.

Posted by: Marina | Mar 25, 2012 5:10:47 AM

7. homophobia destroys lives and results in pain

Posted by: elena | Mar 25, 2012 2:14:22 PM

8. Друзья! Всё это ужасно! Искренние соболезнования и сопереживания! Давайте быть терпимыми друг к другу и не уподобляться дикарям! (Россия, Москва)

Posted by: Вадим | Mar 27, 2012 10:45:58 AM

9. Good advice for some lovely present!! Thank you

Posted by: Prada Schuhe | Jun 3, 2012 10:18:09 PM

10. Wow, fantastisch-Blog-Layout! Wie lange sind Sie schon für Blogging? Sie machte Blogging einfach aussehen. Das allgemeine Aussehen Ihrer Website ist fantastisch, wie auch der Inhalt!.

Posted by: Moncler Daunenjacke | Jul 14, 2012 4:19:14 AM

11. Thanks a lot for this beauty Enjoying article with me.

Posted by: Moncler | Jul 16, 2012 5:08:23 AM

12. I am so happy to read your post , it is wonderful . I like it and thanks for sharing it .

Posted by: Moncler Jakker | Jul 24, 2012 4:22:36 AM