2012 Election | China | Deaths | Education | Gay Youth | Mitt Romney | Russia | Science

NEWS: A Death In The Family, Mitt Romney, Strange Eggs, And Google's April Fools Joke (VIDEO)

Mitt-Romney

Towleroad-roadicon Mitt Romney very nearly has it wrapped up ...

Towleroad-roadicon ... but what, exactly, is a Mitt Romney

Towleroad-roadicon He was good looking, well-liked, relentlessly upbeat gay therapist hitting a professional peak. He killed himself just after New Year. Why?

Towleroad-roadicon HuffPo blogger Amelia has been writing for months about her openly gay seven-year-old. Now her husband steps up and responds to the haters:

I don't see how a father, or any parent, can look at their son, the one they've loved since before the child was even born, and upon hearing him say, "Dad, I'm gay," turn their back on him. The comments from men much older than me telling stories just like that break my heart. My wife always wants to adopt the teenage kids who write to her; I want to adopt the 60-year-old men who cry when they read that I tell my son how awesome he is. I don't care if they are as old as my father; they deserve love just as much as anyone else.

Towleroad-roadicon Gay groups take root in military academies.

Towleroad-roadicon Novelist Kergan Edwards-Stout writes a letter to his long-dead bully:

How lonely you must have felt, Dirk, as you tied that rope. Could you really see no path forward? Was there no one you could have reached out to? Was there no friend, family member, priest, counselor -- not one person you could've trusted with your pain?

Later, I heard that you'd left behind a note, writing that although you did not like girls, you did not want to like boys. And suddenly it became horribly clear to me. You and I were exactly alike. That anger and venom you directed at me, you were also directing at yourself.

Towleroad-roadicon The Moscow Times has a sunny take on the way Russian gay life has been driven underground:

The city's gay scene is surprisingly busy and accessible to all, with four well-established clubs and a smattering of bars and saunas— it differs little from the scene to be found inany other European city. While visibility is increasing, nearly all establishments remain somewhat discreet about their nature, so you can still expect good old-fashioned videophone entries andunsigned venues, which just adds to the sense of adventure.

Worstalbumcovers06 Towleroad-roadicon Salon on the ongoing right-wing takeover. (Curiously, they leave out the bit about how libertarians and objectivists have run the Fed for a generation.)

Towleroad-roadicon These are supposed to be the worst album covers of all time, but I think they're kind of awesome.

Towleroad-roadicon Archaeology from space:

By combining the earthly and the bird's-eye, Menze and Ur have so far created "the largest archaeological record for a landscape in Mesopotamia." That record currently maps about 14,000 different sites -- spanning, in all, about 8,000 years of human history.

Towleroad-roadicon Big in China: Eggs boiled in the urine of boy virgins ...

There is no good explanation for why it has to be boys' urine, just that it has been so for centuries.

The scent of these eggs being cooked in pots of urine is unmistakable as people pass the many street vendors in Dongyang who sell it, claiming it has remarkable health properties.

"If you eat this, you will not get heat stroke. These eggs cooked in urine are fragrant," said Ge Yaohua, 51, who owns one of the more popular "virgin boy eggs" stalls.

"They are good for your health. Our family has them for every meal. In Dongyang, every family likes eating them."

Towleroad-roadicon Finally: Google Maps for the Nintendo Entertainment System. We've waited so long! If you don't have a NES, or if you can't be bothered to pull the dear old thing from your parents' attic, you can get a look at what Google Maps will look like when crammed through your 8-bit Nintendo processor by visiting Google Maps and hitting "Begin Your Quest." Otherwise, watch Google's introductory video AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. In response to the article from the NYT about Bergerson.

On Bergerson's website he talks quite a bit about cruising and hook ups. I think this is the problem. As gay men, the media and even our "community" often seems to value looks and sexual encounters more than meaningful relationships. It's all good when you're young, but at some point in life, without a stable partner or a life beyond superficiality, we will all end up with a sense of loneliness. For straight men, at least it's more socially acceptable for them to have relationships with huge age disparities, but not so much in our case.

Posted by: Bryan B. | Apr 1, 2012 12:34:44 AM

2. The Worst Album Covers link is wrong.

Posted by: MarkUs | Apr 1, 2012 12:49:03 AM

3. Markus: Link fixed! Mea culpa. - BKT

Posted by: Brandon K. Thorp | Apr 1, 2012 12:58:07 AM

4. So glad the link got fixed, cuz these is truly awesome! A must-see! For some of the album covers, there are no words that can describe the awesome.

I want more!

Posted by: TJ | Apr 1, 2012 1:11:22 AM

5. That Bergerson article was very depressing.

A few years ago, I was terrified of hitting 30, which was once described to me as "the gay death." Now that I'm a few years closer to 30, and -- EEK -- found a few grays, I'm not nearly as worried, but it took a while to get there.

I've tried to remind myself that life isn't a checklist or contest -- that I'd rather just find simple ways of making me happy than making myself absolutely miserable doing crap I don't want to do.

Not every day is great, not every day is bad, and I certainly have regrets... but I don't let myself live by them anymore. Mentally, I'm much healthier now than when I was younger.

The things I cared about at 17 or 20 or 23 just don't matter much to me at (almost) 28 anymore -- and that's helped me avoid a lot of the mental health pitfalls that used to plague me throughout my teens and early twenties, in which I battled depression and even considered suicide.

In any event, I hope Bergerson has found peace, wherever he is, and I hope his family and friends will remember all the good he did in life and love that he had. Too often, when someone dies, especially with things like suicide, all we think about is the death or choice... instead of the life that was lived.

Posted by: R | Apr 1, 2012 1:11:54 AM

6. As for the virgin boy urine egg story; as much as a believe in life-long learning, there are some things about which I wish to reman blissfully ignorant. This story is a poster child.

Posted by: TJ | Apr 1, 2012 1:16:41 AM

7. Ha, The Worst Album Covers was very good. I've seen "Joyce" and "Let Me Touch HIm" before I think on DListed but "Jesus Use Me" just made me LOL.

Posted by: MarkUs | Apr 1, 2012 1:21:56 AM

8. >sorry, I can't resist<

I do not like them here or there,
    I do not like them anywhere.
    I do not like urine eggs and ham,
    I do not like them, Sam I am!

Posted by: TJ | Apr 1, 2012 1:25:46 AM

9. Sadly, Mr. Bergeron never found the love and acceptance he needed the most, his own. One does not need a "meaningful relationship" to be complete and content, on the contrary, one needs to be complete and content to have meaningful relationships. My thoughts are with those Mr. Bergeron left behind, and I hope his story helps others.

Posted by: Kenneth | Apr 1, 2012 1:28:26 AM

10. R - wait til you hit your mid 50's!

It's hard becoming invisible. It's hard becoming "Sir," and not in the fun way.

But a life filled with so much more than looking young and pretty sure makes up for it.

Posted by: TJ | Apr 1, 2012 1:30:48 AM

11. As I suspected the Worst Album Cover "Jesus Use Me" by "The Faith Tones" according to one blog I just looked at is an internet hoax and those really are guys. It sure is a funny cover.

Posted by: MarkUs | Apr 1, 2012 1:36:59 AM

12. @R - IMHO 30-35 are peak years - if I could pick any age to be 'forever' it would probably be about 33.

After 34 or 35 I definitely started feeling the slow physical decline - I'd be sore after exercise longer, not quite weak the peak I once could etc.

----
    re: Moscow - The city's gay scene is surprisingly busy and accessible to all, with four well-established clubs and a smattering of bars and saunas— it differs little from the scene to be found inany other European city.

Yeah - 4 well established clubs in a city the size of NYC. I.e the same scene to be found in European cities a tenth of its size.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 1, 2012 1:39:44 AM

13. The Bergeron story is sad beyond belief. There is life after 40. Great life! As a man who is 46, and happily single, I have faced the sadness of thinking I may be single forever. That the fairy tale lie of finding mister right is exactly that. So what? I have bigger fish to fry. Sex hook ups don't have to be without meaning, and friends and chosen family are rich and valuable. Maybe I find a great dude to spend the next decades with and maybe I don't. I am not as attractive to some as I may have been ten years ago but I am way more attractive to others. God knows I am more intelligent and interesting. Each day is a new adventure that I could not have predicted. Growing older is not for the weak. It is rough. But the rewards are great.

Posted by: TK96 | Apr 1, 2012 1:58:37 AM

14. 2012 Burberry Fashion Week was attended in Paris in Mar 12, 2012. The latest Burberry products such as Burberry bags, clothes were first shown in the world. As the fashionable

Posted by: Burberry Outlet Online | Apr 1, 2012 2:08:32 AM

15. 2012 Burberry Fashion Week was attended in Paris in Mar 12, 2012. The latest Burberry products such as Burberry bags, clothes were first shown in the world. As the fashionable

Posted by: Burberry Outlet Online | Apr 1, 2012 2:09:18 AM

16. @Bryan B. - It may appear that all gays value looks and sexual encounters more than stable, long lasting relationships, but that may be because the long term relationship couples tend to blend into the greater community. That's because we have houses to take care of and often times children. My husband and I tried to visit one of the local bars at least once a month. Unless we ran into friends, nobody seemed to notice us. We didn't really expect them to notice us. We were content with the way things went.

Lets not criticize those who do not want a long terms relationship. That's their choice and I bet they're happy with it.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Apr 1, 2012 2:45:16 AM

17. To each his own, said the old lady as she kissed the cows ass. One of the many sayings that my, long since gone, Irish immigrant grandmother use to say.

Posted by: jack | Apr 1, 2012 2:50:44 AM

18. R, if anyone were to say to me that 30 is "the gay death" I'd be forced to assume they were either making a (bad) joke or a dumbazz.

I turned 30 last July and got married this year. Very much alive!!

Posted by: redball | Apr 1, 2012 4:03:32 AM

19. I read the article, and at the end Bergerson says that his book is a lie based on false information. And that he is "done". Sobering. The act of giving up one's obsessive vanity and accepting that it is time to move on to another stage in life is sobering, but it can (and must) be done. In the end, I guess he felt he could not let go of that image of himself. It is something that gay men hang on to because of the extreme societal pressure they live with, but it is no substitution for self-acceptance and growth as a human being. We must find a way to evolve as a society to facilitate gay men along the stages of life. Perhaps it is being done in a broad sense by the quest for civil rights and marriage. I wish Bergerzon could still be here to help make a difference.

Posted by: TonyT | Apr 1, 2012 8:15:49 AM

20. Hey R -- I'm 65. And I certainly haven't been dead the past 35 years.

Internet hook-ups are inherently dangerous. I'ts much better to meet people in real world -- not the virtual one

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 1, 2012 8:18:17 AM

21. Bergerzon's not here because he was DEEPLY superficial, TonyT.

If you base your life on how you look then you've got no life at all.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 1, 2012 8:29:25 AM

22. Why don't you report on the gay whores who went to the Caribbean and decided to put on an animalistic show for the locals. All of the gay blogs, including this one, were making them out to be matyrs to the gay cause. Why don't you show the photo of them debasing themselves for the sake of pleasure in full view of the locals in Dominica? You people are truly sad and I will be praying that you all become free of these disgusting desires. There is also this sick idea that this behavior is common among heterosexuals, please find me a photo of a married heterosexual couple having sex in full view of locals on a cruise, I will be waiting. Most decent women would never behave this way, only fallen women, aka prostitutes would do such disgusting things. If a straight couple behaved like animals I would condemn them too, but fortunately this behavior is not acceptable among most heterosexual couples, however, for gay men it is very much cheered on. I also have to admit that lesbians also do not behave in this way.

Posted by: Susan | Apr 1, 2012 8:33:41 AM

23. You don't get out much, do you "Susan"?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 1, 2012 8:44:01 AM

24. My point was that he may have been at a moment of realization and enlightenment, and instead of offing himself, he should have hung on. That is all. It was a depressing read.

Posted by: TonyT | Apr 1, 2012 8:47:26 AM

25. The David Javerbaum piece on Quantum Mitt Romney is brilliant and hilarious. Thanks for linking!

Posted by: bcarter3 | Apr 1, 2012 9:13:22 AM