New York | News | Sue Simmons

BigGayDeal.com

NY News Anchor Sue Simmons Fired

Simmons

WNBC New York is firing local anchor Sue Simmons after 30 years as lead anchor. "Last week, the station gave her the bad news that her contract would not be renewed — and come June, she’s history."

Of course, she'll live on in YouTube, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I don't know whether the decision has to do with her age (She'll turn 70 in May of next year).
    But I've seen similar stories in which an older anchor lost her job when management decided it wanted a young, new face.
    My thought on the issue always comes down to the fact that, as much as experience lends an air of credibility, TV is always looking to appeal to certain demographics and so no hiring decision is EVER "fair."
    I'm sure when she got hired, she beat out thousands of others who were not pretty enough, or maybe even too pretty, or too old or too male or too white or too black or weren't blessed with a "news" voice or didn't have symmetrical eyes or had distracting freckles or whatever.
    Most people in the journalism industry never get the chance to be in such a position for a single day, let alone for decades.

Posted by: Gregv | Mar 7, 2012 3:48:07 PM

2. Thanks, Tank. This middle-aged queen didn't know any better until shown the light from you youngsters. Also, I'm surprised at your knowledge of what EVERYONE around the entire country thinks of NYC newscast. Is there nothing youth can't do!

Posted by: hodzer | Mar 7, 2012 4:15:11 PM

3. REEE MIX

(and her MILLIONS will surely comfort her while her haters talk trash when they should be working...get back to the fries, bitches)

Posted by: Corey | Mar 7, 2012 5:05:19 PM

4. I love Sue!

Posted by: Ted | Mar 7, 2012 5:10:40 PM

5. I used to see her all the time at Arizona 206 (now Patsy's) She was always pleasant enough.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 7, 2012 5:45:51 PM

6. Who cares whether she is old, young, black, white, male, female, controversial, or milktoast. I can't believe that the person who was in the booth who is supposed to turn the MICROPHONES OFF when the talent goes to a break...is not being blamed!! THAT PERSON is at fault. The moment the talent goes OFF, live, the mic should be cut. Take it from a 27 year radio veteran that who has spewed more than her share of curse words during commercial breaks!!

Posted by: Taylor Morgan | Mar 7, 2012 11:37:15 PM

7. I mean IF they fired her for being a lesbian that's completely and totally WRONG...but if you have ever seen the video of her dropping the F-Bomb on TV it makes one assume its for other reasons...she seems like a not so nice person.

Posted by: Jeremy | Mar 8, 2012 2:08:09 PM

8. Chick cursed so she's out. That's one of the first things you learn in broadcasting school. Also she should know better to not curse at all near a camera. Peace out home girl.

Posted by: Sam | Mar 10, 2012 10:18:20 AM

9. Whoever was supposed to have "killed" her mike, and did not, is the one who should be fired.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Mar 10, 2012 9:53:17 PM

10. That f-bomb happened THREE YEARS ago, so she's not being let go because of that. I'm sure it's a combination agism and $$. She will be missed.

Posted by: Kevin | Mar 12, 2012 4:52:12 PM

11. Everybody has an opinion about everybody else,good grief!.sad thing is we know nothing about why sue is leaving,just another chance to point the finger at someone else and forget about your drab lives for awhile. This lady has paid her dues,and probably has,and will continue to have a great life.All of you who've heard or said the word f--k for the first time raise your hands,yeah right.How many of you have retired or been fired with millions backing you up? Don't cry for Sue Argentina.
    Will truly miss you Sue,you made the news palatable. Continue to have fun with your life.Bless you. A long time viewer.

Posted by: pat | Mar 14, 2012 2:16:23 AM

12. I grew up with Sue and Chuck.
    This is a Crying Shame and a Travesty!

Posted by: aucarter | Mar 20, 2012 5:17:43 PM

13. Fantastic article, well written and extremely useful, thanks. This information is great to me. Thank you guys for your awesome posts. I have been looking for this for a while.

Posted by: Jodi Breakers Songs | Mar 23, 2012 8:29:54 AM

14. Sue's departure is not entirely true. According to insiders she is actually moving to a cable channel and unseating a very famous news commentator. I read this on the TheDamienZone.com today as its headlines story. I was kind of shocked but the source is unimpeachable.

Posted by: Damien | Mar 24, 2012 12:23:58 PM

15. I think those two have a relationship such as being together all these years they've become very "comfortable" with each other. He no doubt has the same comraderie towards her he is just more astute when using their "comfortable" language. I doubt very seriously if he would let her just run roughshod over him in a demeaning way.

Posted by: bree | Apr 8, 2012 6:56:03 PM

16. I am still in shock. Sue is NYC, as I am
    I hope another station would take her. She would be great on sports, as she loves it,
    and used to play sports. No Sue? No me. Chuck & Sheba? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Jeanne | Apr 19, 2012 11:18:51 PM

17. Twitter hashtag and Facebook petition were started up recently... in hopes of it saving the job of long-time WNBC anchor Sue Simmons. I'm hoping that NBC will reconsider this bad decision too.

Twitter hashtag: #SaveSueSimmons
    Facebook petition: SAVE Sue Simmons

Canning Sue is a bad decision. I would much rather Sue be allowed to stay on at WNBC... her being allowed to announce her decision to retire, on her own.

Posted by: Eric | Apr 25, 2012 12:03:24 AM

18. Sue you will be missed! 32 years! Champion of the TV industry and you have inspired many. too bad that NBC treat women differently than men,,,a lesson to for all other women newscasters, including Russell

Posted by: pjk | Jun 25, 2012 7:56:34 AM

19. Posting words like crude and vulger I am sure not one of you can ever say you have never used crude or vulger language or have ever been rude to a person. All of you sound like a bunch of hypocrites. We are allowed a few mistakes in our life. Those without sin cast the first stone.

Posted by: Kini 59 | Jul 19, 2012 4:51:19 PM

20. By the way folks she was not fired her contract was just not renewed theres a difference.

Posted by: Kini 59 | Jul 19, 2012 4:56:56 PM

21. sue simmons sorry about the low life comments .. those people are losers .. i will miss you .. enjoy the rest of your life.

Posted by: MadamTechy | Aug 21, 2012 1:52:30 PM