Discrimination | Nebraska | News | Omaha

A 9-Minute Clip of Nutty, Homophobic 'Christianist' Testimony on the Omaha LGBT Non-Discrimination Bill: VIDEO

Hearing_omaha

Earlier this week I posted a report on a hearing on an LGBT anti-discrimination ordinance being considered in Omaha. Among those testifying were Oscar-winning screenwriter Alexander Payne (for), a native Omahan, and University of Nebraska Assistant Football Coach Ron Brown (against).

Blogger Aksarbent has posted another clip of testimony, featuring those opposed to the ordinance.

One speaker says she was attacked for bringing an Easter book to work, A pastor describes how he was attacked by gay activists who surrounded him with a rainbow flag.

Another woman speaks of Judgment Day and the consequences of going against natural law. The son of a minister tells them that God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Barney. Another says that gay is a choice, and if the LGBT discrimination ordinance is passed, those who will be discriminated against are those who object to gay people.

Another complains about the "billable hours" he gave up that afternoon to come in and preach to them the "truth about love". A former street preacher is upset that men will be able to play on women's sports teams.

And one guy is confused, and is for the good guys.

Watch it all go down, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Does anyone know of an instance when a Christian has been bullied and discriminated against to the point they have committed suicide?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Mar 9, 2012 10:22:56 AM

2. Re: DASTIUS KRAZITAUC, maybe during the time of the early Roman empire.
    Bring back the Coliseum.

Posted by: RobWest | Mar 9, 2012 10:28:15 AM

3. haha, yeah i'd gladly feed these f***ers to the lions

Posted by: DanSwon | Mar 9, 2012 10:30:27 AM

4. Thank god for the confused guy. I was just getting more and more upset as the video went on. It was nice to be able to end with a calm, empathetic voice.

Posted by: Zack | Mar 9, 2012 10:47:31 AM

5. I really can't stand to watch stuff like this. I'm glad somebody went to the effort to compile it but if I wanted to stew in crazy I'd get a job in an asylum.

Posted by: Caliban | Mar 9, 2012 10:50:57 AM

6. "Adam and Barney, Eve and Rosie". How can anyone take him seriously after that?
    All in all, who are these people and in what kind of groups are they?

Posted by: Matt26 | Mar 9, 2012 10:57:15 AM

7. so Paul's teaching that women should have their hair covered (so angels can tell them apart from men) and remain SILENT! never telling men anything pertaining to "morals" etc gets tossed out because THE GAYS are so icky

blah

back in the day those women would be stoned to death for not wearing a head covering and talking to men not their husbands (snark)

Posted by: say what | Mar 9, 2012 11:02:43 AM

8. Oh cry me a river,folks! I get so tired of hearing these Christianists tell these "incredible stories" about how they were "attacked" or "belittled" for their faith. It was almost nauseating to listen to these whiners complain about how their faith is not protected and that they feel like THEY are the victims rather than the gay people.

If I read my Bible correctly(and I know I have)there is a part in the Bible where jesus tells his disciples that "You are not OF this world, but you live in it." meaning that since you follow me(Jesus) do not expect your lives to be easy because there are people out there that do not see the world as you see it.

What in the hell did these Christians expect to have happen when they went up against those who oppose them? Did they think that we would just accept their take on things and let them have their way, even if it meant that what they believed in wasn't what everyone else believed in?

To all you whiney little Christianists, I say this to you: SUCK IT UP AND SHUT THE F**K UP ABOUT HOW YOU FEEL SO PUT UPON! It's a story that gets old with every re-telling and frankly, I'm just that much annoyed to hear it. Enough said...

Posted by: Ray Sager | Mar 9, 2012 11:07:31 AM

9. I'm a gay man living in Omaha.....it's sickening that people can get up and say anything they want based on lies. Someone's religious beliefs should not be able to effect my civil rights....it's called a separation of church and state! EVERYTHING they are saying has been proven false by the Prop 8 trial.

Posted by: John Wichman | Mar 9, 2012 11:08:27 AM

10. I've said this before, but it needs to be repeated-----the audacity these people have to feel so entitled, that they can stand there, with LGBTQ citizens in the room, and go out of their way to denigrate the lives of an entire community solely because of that communities' sexuality, yet feel they aren't hateful or their bigotry isn't *really* bigotry because they (think) they adhere to the principles a 2000+ year old book, is as shocking and offensive as it gets. The delusion, their attempt to portray themselves as victims, is absolutely sickening.

There are a lot of people in this country who truly believe it's perfectly moral and totally OK to basically call gay people the reincarnation of the devil. Isn't it interesting how all these people gush about their gay/lesbian friends they "love" so much? I wonder how they would feel if their gay friends attacked their religious beliefs as much as they attack homosexuality.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 9, 2012 11:12:20 AM

11. Am I the only one who sees even posting this crap on here as wrong? It is doing nothing but giving these nut jobs yet another place to air their disgusting views. Yes, Andy, we know people like this exist. Does not mean I need to waste 9 minutes of my time listening to their ignorant views. It does me absolutely no good.

Posted by: AJ | Mar 9, 2012 11:14:37 AM

12. These 9 minutes alone are a good argument for the separation of church and state.

Posted by: Peter M. | Mar 9, 2012 11:29:28 AM

13. I think it is vital that Andy continue to post the views and rantings of the obviously stone-mad on this page.

There is a seriously strong coordinated effort by the christians and other to push nab against us having equal rights to straights..........we need to know about these nuts and their fundraising and their bigotry and we need to follow the money and call out the bigots.

and please let's not forget my old friends "Opus Dei" and "Legionnairs of Christ" behind this.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 9, 2012 11:33:54 AM

14. So your religion tells you it's wrong to be in a same-sex relationship? Wonderful. Don't be in a same-sex relationship.

Imagine if a group of Jewish people came up here saying how their religious beliefs against pork should allow them to force everyone else to not eat it. Instead...they just make the personal decision to not eat pork and leave everyone else alone.

Separation of church and state means that even the majority religion is given no greater deference when it comes to the law in comparison with any other religion.

Posted by: Bill S. | Mar 9, 2012 11:47:49 AM

15. Homophobia is a choice.

Posted by: Jexer | Mar 9, 2012 12:10:43 PM

16. I don't know why everyone's ticked off, I think it's hilarious!! I'd LOL if it wouldn't make me look crazy right now! All I see is "christians" showing themselves up for how selfish and unemPATHETIC they are. And, of course, the extreme hilarity when they try to make their poorly-thought-out arguments.

Posted by: Deee! | Mar 9, 2012 12:27:51 PM

17. JEXER - you win the day with that post! Sums it up, I'll use that line for sure.

Posted by: uffda | Mar 9, 2012 12:50:13 PM

18. I'm sick and tired of people defending their behaviors as CHRISTIANIST. Get real--they're out and out Christians. It's not as if they're interpreting the Bible wrong or misrepresenting their church. This revisionism started by a Catholic apologist (hello, Andrew Sullivan) is just as selectively-sighted as anyone who hates gays and eats shrimp.

Posted by: Seth | Mar 9, 2012 1:03:17 PM

19. the great news is that there wasn't a single intelligent, rational, logical, fact-based "argument" against Marriage Equality.

the only arguments made made about as much sense as Jews working to ban Gentiles from eating pork products.

"it's wrong because my church says so!"

great. then you and your church can choose not to marry gay people. the end.

you show me an anti-gay Christian and I'll show you an anti-Semite: these people's arguments are indeed an attack on non-Christians as well as LGBT people. I'm frankly stunned they have the audacity not to notice.

Oh, and then the "we anti-Equality people are the real victims of discrimination" thing. Hilarious. Because everyone knows the real "victims" of the Civil Rights Movement were the whites who lost their patriotic american freedom to freely hate on the black communities.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 9, 2012 1:07:32 PM

20. I live in the Omaha area. It's very discouraging. We have no protections here. None. Nada.

Posted by: fedorajoe | Mar 9, 2012 1:37:09 PM

21. although the downside is there's no Scion Of Intellectual Reason standing before all these people and saying "thank you for your statements, but your personal religious beliefs should in no way affect the lives of those who do not share those beliefs. that would be like those Muslims you people all fear coming over and forcing your to abide by their interpretation of the Qu'ran"

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 9, 2012 1:39:15 PM

22. So many Christians, so few lions.

Posted by: Charles Lemos | Mar 9, 2012 3:08:12 PM

23. I want the whole thing in fast forward mode so as to make it a little less painful. It's not as though it makes it more difficult to understand, either.

Posted by: BibleName | Mar 9, 2012 8:39:45 PM

24. Those homophobes are uuuuuuuuuuuugly people, inside and out!

Posted by: FunMe | Mar 9, 2012 8:53:54 PM

25. Put them all in a big blender and pour them into the Sea of Galilee where they can reassemble themselves after the Second Coming, or something.

Posted by: uffda | Mar 10, 2012 1:36:07 AM