Advertising | Facial Hair | Grooming | News

Bears Not Included: VIDEO

Dollarshave

If the body hair and beard trend is suddenly over, we know who to blame.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Men, please shave, please look like you're clean, please don't think having a huge belly and being classless is cute. It never was, and never will be, and never will make a comeback, even if you put a stupid psuedo label like -bear- on it.

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Mar 7, 2012 1:56:40 AM

2. "not into bears" "not into smooth" "not into twinks" : people will always find some excuse to discriminate against others not like themselves or who don't share their opinions

Posted by: RML | Mar 7, 2012 2:44:29 AM

3. This guy looks like the kind who comes home, gets drunk and slaps his boyfriend around. The perfect man for KIWI.

Posted by: uffda | Mar 7, 2012 8:07:49 AM

4. God I hope the "body hair and beard" trend isn't over for a long time! We already had the "Smooth as a baby's butt and looks like a 12 year old" trend from the late 80s till just recently. Do NOT wanna go back to that!

Posted by: Rob | Mar 7, 2012 8:14:34 AM

5. Come to the Pacific Northwest...you'll be a bit out of place without a beard or body hair. :-) Flannel not required...

Posted by: jay_max | Mar 7, 2012 9:28:03 AM

6. @Kyle, Ionmoves. Having body hair and being a "bear" are mutually exclusive.

Posted by: jay_max | Mar 7, 2012 9:30:24 AM

7. @VANNDEAN: What the hell are you talking about?? Do you live in the wild, free from consumer products?

Posted by: Rex Mundi | Mar 7, 2012 9:50:33 AM

8. Guy actually looks like the young Robert Morse back in his "How To Succeed in Business..." days. Give him a beard or a goatee, he'd be a blond Jeremy Sisto ("Suburgatory"). Either way, he's sexy.

Posted by: Dback | Mar 7, 2012 10:03:40 AM

9. That guy is SO sexy !! I'm moist already .....

Posted by: Andrew | Mar 7, 2012 10:03:47 AM

10. Really, nearly 50 comments and no one can tell me his name, number, and current whereabouts? (I'd settle for his Facebook page)

Anywho, his name is Michael Durbin. He's the actual founder and CEO of the company, and he recently raised $1 million from investors to launch.

Posted by: endo | Mar 7, 2012 10:28:33 AM

11. Am I the only one who sees the irony in the fact that all the pictures of shirtless men being displayed on this site (Channing Tatum and Darren Criss among them) are hairless. What trend?

I tend to like the bear scene because it tends to attract a less uppity type of gay. That's not to say there aren't guys in that scene that aren't as exclusionary as the average queen in the Pines. But on the whole, I never feel left out because I am not wearing $500 jeans from Barney's, live in a non hip neighborhood, or am not a stylist/banker/lawyer/six figure earner.

Besides, I'm generally more attracted to otters or muscle bears and cubs. Said muscle bears and cubs don't give me the time of day, but I have had plenty of luck with otters :)

Posted by: Alejandro | Mar 7, 2012 10:36:47 AM

12. Effing brilliant! I'm signing up because I always forget to buy new razors. Wtf with all the weird musings on bears in the gay community? And why do guys who like twinks always make bears out to be the worst thing since Santorum in your wheaties? You guys have a boy fetish and bears like to play dress up. Everybody got their somethin'. Btw, dude in commercial is Hella hot and working me in those jeans.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Mar 7, 2012 10:42:00 AM

13. Getting way tired of these Old Spice "guy walking with a stoic face while funny things happen around him" ads.

Never found them funny.

Posted by: Stuart | Mar 7, 2012 11:18:37 AM

14. Wait Alejandro, aren't otters and bear cubs the same thing? Now I'm confused.

Posted by: Winston | Mar 7, 2012 2:33:17 PM

15. Winston,

No. Cubs are young bears. Otters are skinny/lean bears.

Frankly, the whole animal nomenclature is silly. I do tend to be attracted to guys with body and facial hair (but have and can be turned on by smoother guys).

Posted by: Alejandro | Mar 7, 2012 4:19:14 PM

16. Why does everyone immediately jump to bears when the topic is shaving your face?

I'm a nearly hairless, with a 14" beard.

I think the two are pretty much uncorrelated.

Posted by: Mousie | Mar 7, 2012 7:28:26 PM

17. I need a product demonstration.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 8, 2012 12:14:46 AM

18. And his jeans are really sexy. Would love to unbuckle that belt!

Posted by: Randy | Mar 8, 2012 12:32:38 AM

19. Great idea. But there's big names/money behind it:
    Dollar Shave Club launched out of private beta Tuesday. It is the fifth company to launch out of Santa Monica tech studio Science, founded by former Myspace CEO Mike Jones.

Posted by: Oliver | Mar 8, 2012 3:35:52 AM

20. @MOUSIE, the topic jumped to bears because the silly writers here at Towleroad made a claim that there was currently some sort of body hair trend going on. Of course, Towleroad has provided no evidence of this trend at all. Show me all the examples of body hair on mainstream male models to prove this trend exists, please.

Posted by: Tim NC | Mar 8, 2012 7:41:25 AM

21. I want Alejandro's spot on the train.

Posted by: Ava | Mar 8, 2012 3:40:52 PM