Catholic Church | Gay Marriage | Kathleen Turner | News

Kathleen Turner Plays Power-Catholic Faced with Lesbian Daughter in 'The Perfect Family': VIDEO

Kathleen_turner

"I'm a Catholic. I don't have to think!"

The trailer has just been released for The Perfect Family starring Kathleen Turner, which closed the Outfest Film Festival last summer, and is currently doing more of the festival circuit.

The Wrap summarizes the plot:

When she is nominated for the coveted “Catholic Woman of the Year” award, Eileen Cleary (Turner) jumps through hoops in order to win, at the expense of her own family. Though her personal efforts earned the nomination, the prospect of a family screening and home visit leave Cleary scrambling to uphold her image. Her firefighter husband Frank (Michael McGrady) is a recovering alcoholic, her son Frank Jr. (Jason Ritter) recently ended his marriage and has started up a new relationship with the local nail technician, and her daughter Shannon (Emily Deschanel) has a baby on the way with a lesbian partner Angela (Angelique Cabral).

Turner looks hilarious and in her element in the trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This looks wonderful. Might be the first movie in the theater in a long time! Been a while since I'e seen anything with Kathleen Turner in it, but she does a super job from what I see in the preview.

Posted by: zeddy | Mar 15, 2012 11:50:21 AM

2. This is has got be a must see! I love the line "I'm a Catholic, I don't have to think!" is just perfect and totally describes the Christian-right to the max.

It's all about outside perceptions rather than what's in one's heart. Too sad.

Posted by: Dale | Mar 15, 2012 11:51:47 AM

3. Thanks for posting this, Andy. The trailer made me laugh and just the thought that it might make Santorum's head explode made me happy.

Posted by: RONTEX | Mar 15, 2012 12:00:05 PM

4. richard chamberlainas a catholic priest that is tooooo perfect

Posted by: Luke | Mar 15, 2012 12:08:43 PM

5. Hope it's as good as it seems...

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Mar 15, 2012 12:27:56 PM

6. Somewhere Bill Donahue's head just exploded.

Posted by: Swiminbuff | Mar 15, 2012 12:54:36 PM

7. What did Kathleen do to herself? She looks completely different. Did she gain weight?

Posted by: Wes | Mar 15, 2012 12:58:43 PM

8. The casting of this movie is excellent. Nobody does this kind of comedy better than Kathleen Turner.

Posted by: Bart | Mar 15, 2012 1:04:26 PM

9. I can't wait to see Emily Deschanel on the big screen.

Posted by: Sarah | Mar 15, 2012 1:20:40 PM

10. "What did Kathleen do to herself? She looks completely different. Did she gain weight?"

Age, maybe? I haven't seen her in a while, but as someone who admires her acting, I like the way she looks. Her face has natural character, which will serve her well in the roles she plays.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Mar 15, 2012 1:40:26 PM

11. Now that's funny.

Posted by: PLAINTOM | Mar 15, 2012 1:41:01 PM

12. How awful. Catholics have rights ya know!

Posted by: uffda | Mar 15, 2012 1:42:25 PM

13. Kathleen has rheumatoid arthritis that once put her in a wheelchair. The meds have done some damage, I hear, so let's lay off the old gal!

Posted by: AdamA | Mar 15, 2012 1:55:43 PM

14. The music drowns out the dialogue, but from what I could hear, it sounds very funny and Turner is always a pleasure to watch.

Posted by: Kevin | Mar 15, 2012 2:02:49 PM

15. "What did Kathleen do to herself? She looks completely different. Did she gain weight?"

Kathleen suffered from severe rheumatoid arthritis for much of the 90's. The disease and the meds she was on caused her appearance to change noticeably. She almost stopped working altogether as a result. She's in remission now thanks to new treatments.

Posted by: James C | Mar 15, 2012 2:21:57 PM

16. Turner looks great—someone with wisdom and balls. And I will always love Ms. Emily D.

Can't wait to see this one.

Posted by: David R. | Mar 15, 2012 2:39:03 PM

17. I would love to see her in an Almadovar film.

Posted by: Joel V | Mar 15, 2012 2:47:57 PM

18. The real funny thing about this comedy is that it is not far from reality. "I'm Catholic, I don't have to think." Ouch.

Posted by: Reggie777 | Mar 15, 2012 4:09:39 PM

19. There isn't a Catholic in the world who would ever utter the line "I'm a Catholic, I don't have to think." This is a bigot's view of what a Catholic would say. And what is this movie about? Just another "Christian conservatives are not as perfect as they think, look how hypocritical their families are" BS film.

If people in the film community want to promote acceptance of gays they should lay off the insults to religious people. But they won't. They make movies like this because it makes them feel superior to insult others.

If they were as "thinking" as they imagine themselves to be they'd be seeking dialogue with the more moderate elements within the Catholic and Evangelical communities and try to build bridges. But they don't care enough about the gay rights cause to do this. Sad.

Posted by: Mary | Mar 15, 2012 4:23:03 PM

20. But Mary, you yourself object to LGBT couples being legally allowed to marry for absolutely preposterous and religiously-fueled nonsense beliefs. You also have claimed, many times, to be a fan of Rick Santorum.

It doesn't make people in the "film world" feel "superior" to point out that people like you, and millions of other hypocritically pious conservative religious folks, are actually the ones grappling with massive inferiority complexes.

This is not about a film being made "to insult Catholics" but about the hard cold reality that RCC doctrine is what splits famlies up - not LGBT issues or people.

and while a catholic may not say that line, they sure do follow it.

"OH, wise man in expensive robes in a marble palace, tell me exactly what to do because I can't think for myself"

day in and day out.

sorry, Mary. You can't be mad at the rest of us for seeing through your own B.S.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 15, 2012 4:33:56 PM

21. It doesn't matter what Mary has said in the past, she is making perfect sense. She is absolutely right in that no catholic would ever utter that line, it's just insulting and I can't think of any other reason besides some need to feel superior that anyone would say that. Bad call, Andy.

Posted by: Alex | Mar 15, 2012 4:48:19 PM

22. Severe rheumatoid arthritis? Just looks like a bad face lift to me, but I will take your word for it. Serial Mom is the only John Waters movie I can get my Catholic Mother to watch, she loves Kathleen Turner. This will be a great movie for us to see together.

Posted by: Thomas | Mar 15, 2012 5:09:01 PM

23. "There isn't a Catholic in the world who would ever utter the line "I'm a Catholic, I don't have to think."

It doesn't appear to be a documentary.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Mar 15, 2012 5:38:35 PM

24. Gee Mary and Alex, it appears as though this movie is a comedy. Perhaps you've heard of the genre...or not.

Kathleen Turner is an actress who needs to do more film work already. Fantastic as the evil wife in Body Heat, wonderful in comedy, and unbelievable in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof on stage. Can't wait to see this.

Posted by: jim | Mar 15, 2012 7:15:34 PM

25. You don't have to take anyone's word about the brilliant Kathleen Turner's arthritis. Any MORON can use google, and learn about her life, career, and difficulties.
    I've been a fan for 30 years, and I will always love her. Body Heat, Prizzi's Honour, Serial Mom, and, the role of a lifetime, Chandler Bings father on Friends. This is a girl with talent, and balls.

Posted by: scotsyank | Mar 15, 2012 7:34:22 PM