Catholic Church | Gay Marriage | Kathleen Turner | News

Kathleen Turner Plays Power-Catholic Faced with Lesbian Daughter in 'The Perfect Family': VIDEO

Kathleen_turner

"I'm a Catholic. I don't have to think!"

The trailer has just been released for The Perfect Family starring Kathleen Turner, which closed the Outfest Film Festival last summer, and is currently doing more of the festival circuit.

The Wrap summarizes the plot:

When she is nominated for the coveted “Catholic Woman of the Year” award, Eileen Cleary (Turner) jumps through hoops in order to win, at the expense of her own family. Though her personal efforts earned the nomination, the prospect of a family screening and home visit leave Cleary scrambling to uphold her image. Her firefighter husband Frank (Michael McGrady) is a recovering alcoholic, her son Frank Jr. (Jason Ritter) recently ended his marriage and has started up a new relationship with the local nail technician, and her daughter Shannon (Emily Deschanel) has a baby on the way with a lesbian partner Angela (Angelique Cabral).

Turner looks hilarious and in her element in the trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Kiwi, I suppose I'm asking for trouble with this question but what makes you think I have an inferiority complex?

If you're being honest you'll remember that my objections to gay marriage have nothing to do with religion. I've been a social conservative since childhood (and I'm not from a socially conservative or political family, incidentally - or even a religiously homogenous family). I've seen social change start out with good and noble intentions and proceed to make a mess of American life, so I'm reluctant to see major social institutions and values tampered with. It's really that simple.

But congratulations on getting through an entire post without telling me to commit suicide or gloating over my childlessness. On another post I was so exasperated at your vulgar suggestion about how to get revenge on Michele Bachmann that I offered to send a check to Freedom to Marry if you'd start showing more civility.

Posted by: Mary | Mar 15, 2012 8:14:50 PM

2. Rude Catholic schoolboy joke: Why can't Jesus eat M&Ms? They keep falling through the holes in his hands.

You see, Catholics are very self-effacing, and if they do not say self-deprecating things about themselves and beliefs as adults, they certainly remember doing so in their youth. Mostly Catholic Irish- and Italian-Americans tend to belong to lively cultures with a good collective sense of humor, and kind of hot, no? Thus traditionally an interesting subject for film.

Posted by: J.D. | Mar 16, 2012 12:27:53 AM

3. Catholicism isn't a religion, it's a cult.

The film looks pretty great, too bad the music couldn't be under a bit more so you could hear the funny lines...

Posted by: johnny | Mar 16, 2012 4:38:26 AM

4. Glad to see Kathleen is working still. She's a great actress. I am glad she's been able to overcome some of the issues with RA. She's fabulous.

Posted by: Rich Monsoon | Mar 16, 2012 5:16:35 AM

5. Gay people will stop calling out the hypocritical bigotry and piety of the Roman Catholic Church when the roman catholic church stops resorting to hypocritical piety and the promotion of exclusivity and prejudice to make money.

and while no catholic may say that line, the vast majority LIVE it.

if they didn't then the church would have made the great leap from the Dark Ages decades ago.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 16, 2012 12:45:48 PM

6. The trailer looks great and I LOVE Kathleen Turner so I'll be checking this out upon it's released. Shame that her battle with rheumatoid arthritis has kept Kathleen from doing more movies, she's an incredible and very underrated actress who deserves much more screen time.

Posted by: Matt | Mar 16, 2012 1:59:34 PM

7. I agree with Kevin..the music drowns out the dialog...but from what I could her it looks very funny.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 16, 2012 6:34:38 PM

8. This looks like a take on her film, Serial Mom! That was a hilarious flick. This one seems to be much more serious.

Posted by: J Ascher | Mar 17, 2012 3:57:33 PM

9. I saw this film at last summer's Provincetown Film Festival, and had the pleasure of saying hello to Ms. Turner. ("Ms. Turner, I just have to say you look terrific," I said. "You do, too!" she replied.)

The film is sweet and touching and genuinely funny, and her performance is pitch-perfect. I hope this modest but lovely movie receives a wide and successful release....it deserves it.

Posted by: CDMatthew | Mar 17, 2012 11:55:33 PM