Argentina | Nature | News

Massive Glacier Collapse Caught on Film in Argentina: VIDEO

Peritomoreno

Tourists at The Perito Moreno Glacier in Los Glaciares National Park, in southern Argentina, began gathering late last week to watch the spectacular collapse a massive glacier near the city of El Calafate in the Patagonian province of Santa Cruz, southern Argentina.

MSNBC reports:

As Perito Moreno moves forward, it cuts off a river feeding the lake. Water builds up pressure and slowly undermines the ice, forming a tunnel until ice comes tumbling down. The phenomenon repeats itself at irregular intervals, with the last major ice falls occurring in 2008. The glacier collapsed on March 4, 2012, after several large chunks broke off.

This time, a major portion of the collapse was caught on film.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(photos here)

Comments

1. Interesting but a little hard to appreciate with no sense of scale in the video!

Posted by: don | Mar 5, 2012 12:55:20 PM

2. Don, you're right, that glacier could have been the size of a VW Beetle. GET A GRIP MAN! The trees nearby gave me scale. Knowing that glaciers are big helped too. Mist being thrown into the trees on the shore line helped me understand that the glacier was bigger than a bread box, yet smaller than a planet. Don, hold you hand up to the screen for scale. :-) Actually this is all CGI, did you bring your 3-D glasses?

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Mar 5, 2012 1:10:40 PM

3. the only part I found annoying was the guy (and you just know it was some douchey straight guy) who felt the need to do that Football stadium whistle every time something fell.

Seriously, man, get a grip.

Posted by: jasun mark | Mar 5, 2012 1:21:26 PM

4. Cheering glaciers melting? Really?

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Mar 5, 2012 1:33:55 PM

5. I have no idea what there was to be whistling about. It's not a rugby match.

HURRAY FOR SEA-LEVEL RISE...!?!

Posted by: ROBfromVA | Mar 5, 2012 1:50:28 PM

6. A fairly common event just rarely caught on video.

Posted by: DiogenesI | Mar 5, 2012 3:07:08 PM

7. My partner and I trekked this glacier last year. this is a massive (and breathtaking) glacier. If you ever want to take an amazing excursion - el calafate and the environs are spectacular. Eolo Lodge is lovely.

Posted by: Peter V | Mar 5, 2012 3:11:17 PM

8. @RODNEY and ROBFROMVA:

Climate change is real, but this isn't an example of it. This glacier is actually GROWING and this is a regular occurance, recorded frequently since 1917.

Be careful, when you shout about everything, it makes people stop paying attention when there is something worth shouting about.

Posted by: Deepak | Mar 5, 2012 3:30:06 PM

9. @Deepak: Melting glaciers are a result of global warming. The information that this glacier is unique, and not an example of warming, was not included in the story.
    So, yes, I'm alarmed at glaciers melting. And No, I was not crying wolf since I was not informed of the unique situation.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Mar 5, 2012 5:10:17 PM

10. Cool. I saw this happening when I was at Perito Moreno a few years back--not quite on this scale, but there are pieces of glaciers breaking off all the time.

I just wish I could believe it was not due to global warming--then, it would be much cooler.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 5, 2012 5:26:53 PM

11. Awesome sight. Thanks for posting it.

Posted by: jack | Mar 5, 2012 11:03:42 PM

12. There is global warming, but humans only add a small percentage of what is a natural occurrence of earth in a "warming trend". Beautiful video....with the sound off.

Posted by: Reppin2 | Mar 6, 2012 2:46:22 PM

13. Sad that many glaciers around the world are disappearing from the effects of global warming.

Posted by: bill | Mar 6, 2012 5:23:19 PM