Dustin Lance Black | Gay Marriage | Martin Sheen | Proposition 8 | Theatre

Prop 8 Play Raised $2 Million, Attracted 200K Viewers Online: VIDEO

Sheen_pitt_8

The star-studded Los Angeles premiere of Dustin Lance Black's play '8' about the Proposition 8 trial which was streamed Saturday night on YouTube attracted 200,000 online viewers according to director Rob Reiner, and raised more than $2 million (double what it raised in NYC) for the American Foundation for Equal Rights.

I've posted one of the most rousing, riveting scenes from Martin Sheen (As Ted Olson) to whet your appetite, AFTER THE JUMP...

EW reports on the show, and on changes that were made since the NY premiere:

“I felt after the New York version that I wanted to know the plaintiffs more, I wanted to know their personal stories more,” Black told EW after the show. “So I took out a few of the legal arguments that were a bit I guess redundant in a way, or at least they made the same point twice in two different ways. And I added more personal stories. Really, in the end, it’s the personal stories that change people’s minds.”

More details on the cast, crew, and audience, from the Hollywood Reporter.

If you haven't seen the whole production, it's a must, and you can watch it HERE.

Follow all of Towleroad's breaking headlines on Twitter @TLRD.

Comments

1. I find it very distracting that everybody's reading from the script. Is this a play or a a reading?

Posted by: ct | Mar 5, 2012 8:07:00 AM

2. It's a reading of a play, you uneducated moron.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Mar 5, 2012 8:25:16 AM

3. Was Maggie in the audience stuffing her face again?

Posted by: sylvatica | Mar 5, 2012 8:42:00 AM

4. Riveting and rousing indeed.

Posted by: Miguel | Mar 5, 2012 8:51:16 AM

5. This was the most boring thing I've ever seen. I feel bad for any sucker who puts money to capitalize this as working play. They'll guaranteed lose everything.

Posted by: David in NYC | Mar 5, 2012 9:06:03 AM

6. Sorry there are no bewbs and explosions guys. It just so happens to be Hollywood a-listers reading the transcript of one of the most important civil rights trials of our lifetimes.

Posted by: AJ | Mar 5, 2012 10:04:26 AM

7. This play was great. A nice balance of humour, drama, and sadness. Great performances all around. I'm glad that it was posted online for the entire world to see. AND it's good to see that it raised money for a good cause.

Especially liked Jane Lynch's rendition of Maggie.

-Rob

Posted by: ROBfromVA | Mar 5, 2012 10:06:08 AM

8. 2 million, thats freakin awesome

Posted by: Mark | Mar 5, 2012 10:10:05 AM

9. as to them holding the scripts in their hands... i believe that this play was intended to be a WORD FOR WORD rendition of the proceedings at the prop8 trial. my guess is that it makes it hard for NOM to claim that they didn't give the real words at the trial if the actors were HOLDING THE TRIAL TRANSCRIPTS IN THEIR HANDS. i've also seen 'the vagina monologues', and the actors in that also hold cards with the script on them. the writer meant it to be that way so that you could always feel the presence of the woman who ACTUALLY SAID THOSE WORDS, even though she wasn't there.

Posted by: stephanie | Mar 5, 2012 10:31:12 AM

10. I thought it was fantastic! Laughed, cried, got happy, got angry...it really covered the range of emotions that everyone involved in this debate have felt. WELL DONE!

Posted by: C.J. | Mar 5, 2012 11:24:59 AM

11. Readings like this are still commonplace and, at one point in time, were actually the way theater was done. (Heck, the famous Elizabethan era was all readings, as I understand it.)

Amazing theater can be had from these sorts of readings. I especially love Shakespeare done in this way. There's a theater company that does Shakespeare like this and will put on several shows in several days, trying to conjure up the frenzied pace and style that was its original source.

I don't find it distracting at all, and the performances are not effected, despite the fact that this whole thing was put on very quickly, with an entire cast that is obviously busy with many other projects. If people bother to get past the first scene, I think the vast majority quickly forget that the actors are reading from a script at all.

It's really little different than any other form of a suspension of disbelief, be it the seats we're sitting in at the theater or dim lights glowing at the bottom of hallways and stairs at the movies. As a species, we are eminently capable of blocking out almost any distraction with a little time and open mind.

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 5, 2012 11:36:09 AM

12. everyone complaining about "holding the scripts" sounds like a midwestern tourist attending a performance of "the Lion King" and saying "i don't know what the fuss is about, i can see the sticks holding them puppets up!"

well DUH.

it's a STAGED READING. industry standard. it also helps emphasize that these are not "roles" with "lines" but VERBATIM WORDS FROM THE TRIAL.

what next? complaints that "the set for Our Town was cheap! it was just a few chairs! they didnt' even build a whole set!"

or complaining that "they shoudn't call this play 'Waiting for Godot', because Godot never even showed up, what a rip off!"

no. you're just not bright.

anyway, kudos to the money raised! watched it on youtube. it was terrific

really makes you think, eh?

WE get George Clooney and Brad Pitt. THEY get Kirk Cameron.

we win.

:D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 5, 2012 11:51:24 AM

13. It was INCREDIBLE!!

All our friends watched and were moved by the HUMANITY these actors brought to their performances.

I actually feel pitty for any soul who didn't 'get it' and the reason they read from their scripts. Poor little souls. lol. For the rest of us who did....very powerful!

Posted by: Kevin T. | Mar 5, 2012 12:09:37 PM

14. Sophistication. Please, get some. Not all theatre is "Phantom." No, really.

And KIWI -" The set for Our Town was cheap! It was just a few chairs!"
    You are my snark god. And how about that wall in "The Fantasticks" - not. even. there!

Posted by: TJ | Mar 5, 2012 12:12:18 PM

15. I was in the audience watching and thought it was great. I bought my tickets before YouTube announced live streaming. At first I thought wow, i paid alot for something someone else gets for free, but the cause and being there was incredible. Only thing, I have never felt so underdressed in my life, the gowns and tuxs, and that was just them men.

Posted by: Matthew | Mar 5, 2012 12:24:50 PM

16. Yeah, I hope the people who collectively shelled out the 2 million bucks don't feel too ripped off. Having this on YouTube with a star-studded cast is the best response to the Prop 8er's pathetic but successful efforts to keep the trial video under seal.

I felt it started off a little slow, but definitely picked up steam as it went along. The changes from the Broadway version to add more of the personal stuff from the plaintiffs was a great idea; courtroom scenes can come off a little dull. (But my friends who saw the New York production say that's their favorite of the two, with even better performances.)

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 5, 2012 2:10:30 PM

17. Wonderful. Christine Lahti is always a jewel. And with this large cast, it's now down to, what, 2.3 degrees of Kevin Bacon?

Posted by: Mark | Mar 5, 2012 3:58:54 PM

18. Just give Martin Sheen a Tony for that speech.

Posted by: Sam | Mar 5, 2012 4:06:16 PM