Gay Marriage | Music | Music Video | News

The Most Amazing Song and Dance Gay Marriage Proposal You've Probably Ever Seen: VIDEO

Danny

My friend Danny Rose made this amazing video of a song he wrote to propose to his boyfriend Aaron. Danny's not in the music business but when he told friends he wanted to make it they volunteered.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

RoseDanny tells me:

I started writing the song in December and took me a month to complete. Then I prepped the music video for a few weeks and shot it all in one day at the culver studios. I had everything donated from techno crane to cameras and fx. I had a killer director, DP, editor and choreographers all who volunteered their time and amazing talents. I spent about a month in post.

The funny thing. Very funny thing... Is that Aaron was planning to ask me !! He actually beat me to the punch and devised his own proposal adventure for me on Valentines day!  I was in the midst of prepping the video!  I said yes but told him I was still going to ask him and continue my plan!

I presented the video in the backyard.  When he saw the screen he thought I made a slide show of our lives together!

After the video I got down on one knee and asked him to make me the happiest person in the world and spend his life with me!  He said of course and it was a great moment.  But wanted to watch the video again 30 more times. There are a lot of inside jokes and even some wardrobe choices in there designed to experiences in our history.

Danny has put the song up for sale on iTunes and is donating 100% of what he makes on it to marriage equality charities. He added this to his explanation of the song there: "I just wanted to do a project for my proposal that was a mixture of music and comedy which is very much the way we live our lives."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. that was something else. congrats.

Posted by: lotusmoon | Mar 28, 2012 11:40:04 AM

2. Plastic surgery red alert...

Posted by: st | Mar 28, 2012 11:41:11 AM

3. unalloyed joy.

Posted by: Jed | Mar 28, 2012 11:49:27 AM

4. vanity project under the guise of a marriage proposal.
    aside from that, i wish them all the best.

Posted by: David in Houston | Mar 28, 2012 11:54:02 AM

5. While everyone at this forum knows that Tank is a bold fighter for gay rights, they also know that Tank needs to keep it real. So, while I think this video had its heart in the right place, the execution was pretty awful, I must say. So many cliches and stereotypes that just reinforce society's negative view of gay people. It was just a big, campy, over the top mess. And the guy trying to sing really needs to face the reality of aging with more grace: no fifty year old has skin that smooth and toned unless he's a robot or someone who spends a fortune on monthly botox injections.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 28, 2012 11:56:30 AM

6. Totally cute in a dorky kinda way . . . Not gonna lie, got a little teary eyed.

Posted by: Brent Corrigan | Mar 28, 2012 11:58:39 AM

7. AMAZING! I want that!

Posted by: Frank | Mar 28, 2012 12:00:18 PM

8. See, this is what I mean! I think this is the "real" reason that Maggie et al are so much against marriage equality. Once the gays get a hold of the proposal and marriage thing, they're going to take it to a whole new level - a level where the self-righteous and uninspired simply won't be able to compete!

Congrats to the happy couple!

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 28, 2012 12:01:27 PM

9. The video and song are cute, and hey we all should be so lucky as to have someone not only write a song but goes out and makes you video to tell the world that he want to be with you...awesome! Best to you both!!

Posted by: AJ | Mar 28, 2012 12:01:40 PM

10. AWESOME.

Posted by: DiatribesAndOvations | Mar 28, 2012 12:02:12 PM

11. OK, I realize I'm going to come across as a crank here... (And it's possible I AM a crank.)

But some of the gay proposal/marriage videos I've seen strike me as bridezilla/groomzilla nonsense. "This is MY special day and it better by-god be perfect!" It becomes all about the EVENT, a single day, instead of (ideally) a life-long commitment.

Plus isn't a little odd that you never see the guy he's proposing TO?!

Posted by: Caliban | Mar 28, 2012 12:03:07 PM

12. Hey Tank, if you're so into "keeping it real" why not provide us with the URL to your own website or youtube page where we can see this incredible "non-stereotypical" example you claim to be living.

Because, you know, you're all about "keeping it real" - well, there are a number of commenters here that keep it real, as in from a place of non-anonymity.

can you do the same? ten bucks says you can't. ;-)

you can call it a "big campy over the top mess" - doesn't change the reality that at no point will any man ever propose to you.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 28, 2012 12:04:35 PM

13. Sweet, but I'm wondering if the total budget for that video (which looks to be substantial) could have been donated to marriage equality right from the start and his proposal been kept sweet and short and personal.

Posted by: YankeeFan | Mar 28, 2012 12:05:13 PM

14. @ tank

Botox is for sissies. This video is about a pair of cheek implants singing and dancing.

Posted by: st | Mar 28, 2012 12:05:46 PM

15. Hey Little Kiwi. Take a chill pill man.

Posted by: st | Mar 28, 2012 12:07:21 PM

16. hey ST & Tank, I call your bluff.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 28, 2012 12:08:55 PM

17. wonderful.
    exuberant.
    Now, THAT's a Proposal!
    KO

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Mar 28, 2012 12:11:07 PM

18. curious - what's a "negative stereotype" about this video? happy people in love with friends and family singing songs and dancing?

look, just because your own family won't let you sing and dance doesn't mean that singing and dancing are "negative stereotypes" - it means your family are pieces of s**t.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 28, 2012 12:21:14 PM

19. I am not sure how to comment. On one level I like the concept, but on another level I have to agree with some of the posters calling this a "vanity" project.

And on another level one has to wonder how nice it must be to have such connections to get all of those production costs "donated".

Needless to say, I am happy for the couple and wish them the best.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Mar 28, 2012 12:23:07 PM

20. That anyone would make a negative or petty comment about this video or what this guy did to propose to his partner is truly a sad and sick thing. And that's keeping it 'real'. Get over yourselves girls! Congrats to this couple, and how fabulous for them!

Posted by: Gary A | Mar 28, 2012 12:23:45 PM

21. THE ONLY SONG AND DANCE GAY MARRIAGE PROPOSAL I'VE EVER SEEN

Posted by: David in NYC | Mar 28, 2012 12:26:13 PM

22. No tears here. If a dude sent that to me I would run as far as i could. No marriage, no kids, no picket fences.

Posted by: Tim | Mar 28, 2012 12:26:24 PM

23. Why can't this just be a very sweet, homemade proposal? And when was the last time you made your own song and video for marriage equality, and then donated any proceeds? The guy's 38 - not 50 - according to YouTube (something that could be easily found with a minimum of effort), and Andy made clear that this guy is not in the music business. For an amateur production, it's pretty darn good.

And negative cliches and stereotypes? Huh? Like what, having lots of friends volunteer to sing and dance with you? Really? I'm so tired of all this ridiculous, catty judgment. It's a lovely sentiment, and what we need right now is more of this, not less. IMHO, Bravo!

Posted by: BNELSON | Mar 28, 2012 12:29:12 PM

24. hmmm

A for effrot

A for being goofy because goofy is always good, and lets be real...life, love, and sex all have very goofy aspects to them

yes it does come off as a vanity project. I personally would consider a proposal a much more private thing like under the moonlight on a beach and then F@cking like mad dogs in the waves ....:-P but completely private and personal without anyone else involved

F for the music and singing

Posted by: say what | Mar 28, 2012 12:35:48 PM

25. @BNELSON, thank you for writing my thoughts, exactly. I LOVED this video and song. Shows a TON of effort and creativity. I especially loved the "Back Off He's Mine" marching band. Got a good laugh out of that followed by amazement that he managed to get and actual marching band to donate their time and energy to something like this. Amazing accomplishment, to say the least. Well done!

Posted by: MattS | Mar 28, 2012 12:41:27 PM