Bullying | Dan Savage | News | San Francisco

Stephen Schwartz, Dan Savage and SF's Gay Men's Chorus Team Up For 'Testimony:' VIDEO

Testimony

Broadway composer Stephen Schwartz and Dan Savage recently joined forces to turn segments of the Savage-created "It Gets Better" project into a sweeping emotional song encapsulating all the emotions that go with coming out and staying out in an at-times confrontational world.

"The song urges LGBT youth to hang on, telling them they're not alone, and showing them that life gets better," reads the video's YouTube description.

Performed by the San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus, the track, appropriately called "Testimony," can be found AFTER THE JUMP, but fair warning, it may not be safe for work if you don't want your colleagues to see you getting a bit misty.

Comments

1. I was at the premiere this week... not a dry eye in the house. Powerful!

Posted by: S.W. | Mar 22, 2012 2:48:24 PM

2. Just looking at that photo makes me wonder anew why so few gay men ever seem to look like the proverbial boy next door (much less act like him). Beards, shaved heads, thick glasses....or something.....in so many cases.....

Why? I don't get it and I guess I never will.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 22, 2012 2:56:39 PM

3. because, RICK, these gay men aren't terrified of straight people knowing that they're gay. unlike you, who still lives a cowardly closeted life.

you don't need to get it. you'll die in the closet your father demanded you stay in. it's ok, you're not missed.

the song is beautiful, the vocal performances are stirring, and i got chills right down my spine.

these are men who have lived and fought and MADE IT to adulthood, despite growing up in this overwhelmingly bigoted world culture. they're an inspiration, and i thank them for lending their voices and faces to What Gay Is, which will undoubtedly inspire more people to find strength in who and what they are.

very very very moving. thanks to all who continue to lend their voice, and give a Face to the LGBT Community, and helping open the doors for the next generations.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 22, 2012 3:03:41 PM

4. I wish a lesbian choir was also asked to participate.

Posted by: yep | Mar 22, 2012 3:08:05 PM

5. This is fantastic. The fact the it's released during Lent is extra special. Clear parallels between the movements in this song and the Triduum. From the Last Supper to the Agony in the Garden to the Crucifixion to the Resurrection. Very nice.

Posted by: Parallelogram | Mar 22, 2012 3:08:14 PM

6. I don't know what RICK is looking at.

I see a pretty typical cross section of guys. Except they're not typical...they're actually doing something for the greater good, as opposed to sitting in their jammies in Mommy's basement, making intentionally inflammatory comments just to get the attention they so desperately seek because Daddy rejects them because they like to look at weenies.

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Mar 22, 2012 3:08:20 PM

7. Sean In Dallas, RICK is just bitterly seeing Openly Gay Men.

he's not one, so he complains about them.

but yeah, you get it perfectly :D

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 22, 2012 3:16:06 PM

8. The piece is about accepting one's self and one another. So let's start doing that, rather than comparing each other to the boy next door, or knocking those who are not ready to be out. :)

Posted by: Michael | Mar 22, 2012 3:17:48 PM

9. As an SFGMC Singer, I can say I'm shocked and slightly appalled by the hate going on on this page. Sean and Kiwi, it's true that Rick is saying negative comments, but that doesn't mean to send hate toward him.

However, Rick, again, as an SFGMC Singer, I can honestly say you're wrong. We have more than people with "beards, shaved heads and thick glasses". Watch the video, and you'll see our first two singers are what would be considered "boy next door"

But really, are we still trying to live in a world where labels are for people as well? Isn't that what we're trying to get rid of in making this video? To make it so that gay isn't a label, but a characteristic?

Why do we insist on telling people that they fit into a certain label? And why do we continually call someone the "boy next door", or "twink" or "bear"? We should be more into their mind and personality, and not their body type.

Posted by: Izzy | Mar 22, 2012 3:18:13 PM

10. Why does Rick Santorum keep posting here. Doesn't he have campaigning to do?

My only response to the vid is to wish, not for the first time, that I could carry a tune. Alas.

Posted by: melvin | Mar 22, 2012 3:19:53 PM

11. IZZY - Rick is a troll. "Rick" is one of the many aliases he uses to slander women, black people, and men he deems to be "effeminate".

make no mistake, the best contribution Rick could give to the LGBT Community would be to show us all his best Sylvia Plath and introduce his face to the back of an oven.

Harsh? Whatever. All of his aliases spew the same insecure nonsense - if there's an Out person who doesn't reflect what he thinks he looks like he gets angry. Angry that someone he wants to believe is "weaker" than him is actually, and provably, worlds stronger.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 22, 2012 3:24:21 PM

12. @Izzy I watched the video and, if I counted correctly 6 of the 10 soloists had beards and 2 of the others were wearing thick glasses.

That is way beyond the proportions you would find in the general population.....and I don't understand what any of that--or shaving one's head--has to do with one's sexual orientation.

It is hard not to conclude, therefore, that, as with effeminacy, there is something about the gay experience (rather than about being attracted to other men sexually, per se) that causes unusual behavior.

Groups of people get labeled, to use your phrase, because the general society looks at them and sees oddities that they don't understand....and if I, as a gay man, myself, do not understand some of these oddities, then imagine how it appears to everyone else.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 22, 2012 3:29:05 PM

13. If you are basing your idea of the "boy next door" on media impressions then you will always be disappointed. I think these men are a fine representation of the every day man. Funny, it turns out most of us look like the rest of the population in all their variety. What a surprise.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 22, 2012 3:31:34 PM

14. then you, RICK, can provide the URL wherein you show us, via webpage or your own youtube video, what YOU look like as a gay man.

that you, yourself, continue to refuse to Come Out and give "a face to what gay is" instantly negates your supposed stance.

you're a fully-grown closeted adult. at what point are you finally going to grow a pair of balls and Stand Up to be Counted?

peopel get labeled because wimps like you are still hiding in the closet, all because your pathetic bigot of a father never accepted you.

be a real man and realize your dad was a piece of s**t - his resentment of you has nothing to do with "femmes" and everything to do with him being a lousy human being. a trait he passed on to you. classy.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 22, 2012 3:33:59 PM

15. Rick, I say it again;
    Is that not what we're trying to get rid of? Labeling groups of people?

Not only that, but I hardly believe any of these characteristics are oddities. I was hoping that that'd be understood, because we shouldn't ostracize the ostracized even more.

Posted by: Izzy | Mar 22, 2012 3:34:35 PM

16. folks, rather than engaging TrollRick in dialogue ask him instead to back up his claims - what's stopping him from putting a face and name to What Gay Is?

truly. dont' talk to him. ask him to prove that he is what he says he is. and nothing more.

he'll run away like the wimp he is.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 22, 2012 3:37:00 PM

17. Hey, Kiwi? Just wanna let you know -- I adore you and respect you.

Posted by: Izzy | Mar 22, 2012 3:39:55 PM

18. for real though - stop feeding these trolls with questions that they use to pathetically vent their misery. ask for proof.

after all, why would a strong butch manly empowered masculine gay man refuse to stand up to be counted?

because he's none of those things.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 22, 2012 3:44:27 PM

19. Rick, if the visual representation of our singers in the SFGMC is offensive to you, then perhaps you should play the video and then move it to the background so that you can be freed from focusing on the superficial frivolities of the appearance of our members and focus on the importance of the lyrics, a plea to distraught and heartbroken teenagers completely without hope to NOT KILL THEMSELVES IN A FIT OF DEPRESSION AND DESPAIR.

Posted by: Christian | Mar 22, 2012 3:47:52 PM

20. or RICK could post his own video and show what a strong masculine manly boy next door (barf) image he claims to be representing as a gay man.

URL please?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 22, 2012 3:50:28 PM

21. RICK doesn't get it - and doesn't "get any."

Ever.

Posted by: TJ | Mar 22, 2012 3:57:23 PM

22. one has to sadly laugh at a grown-adult closet case who claims that 'effeminate guys and guys with shaved heads clearly have issues'

right. because being a fully-grown adult who lives in the closet doesnt' indicate massive issues....riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 22, 2012 4:00:19 PM

23. LOL! I guess I am a stereotypical gay man because I have thick glasses. Odd though, I thought my glasses had more to do with my being blind as a bat and not so much to do with my sexual orientation. Glad that's cleared up.

Posted by: Kevin | Mar 22, 2012 4:06:37 PM

24. Kevin, you should know by now that only weak effeminate queens wear thick glasses.

real masculine men just walk around semi-blind and "squint" because squinting makes you look totes butch

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 22, 2012 4:10:22 PM

25. @ LittleKiwi. So Mr. Magoo is the masculine height I should aspire to?

Posted by: Kevin | Mar 22, 2012 4:26:12 PM