News

BigGayDeal.com

TED Speaker Confronted by Spinning Beach Ball of Death: VIDEO

Ted

A speaker's worst nightmare is played out by the NYC group Improv Everywhere at the TED conference.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Very creative!

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Mar 9, 2012 1:14:58 PM

2. As a Mac software and hardware Engineer I can tell you the spinning beach ball occurs for one of two specific reasons:

(1) insufficient ram available (too many programs open? using a machine with minimum RAM for major work) or,

(2) a poor or corrupt program file, i.e., the video he is trying to display has a problem and the RAM is working its little heart out to trying to play it.

This is, of course, a ruse probably put on by a Microsoft vendor or supporter. (Clue: People simply don't show up at a seminar with thousands of beach balls and beach umbrellas.)

Here's a quick tip for Mac users. Instead of minimizing a running program so it appears (twice) in your dock, hide the program instead. You'll use far less RAM. How to hid? Make sure the program is the focus then hit the Command and H buttons.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Mar 9, 2012 1:22:15 PM

3. Kind of lame. Improve Everywhere went from being mildly subversive to creating what is essentially a viral ad for an overhyped tech conference.

Posted by: Dave | Mar 9, 2012 1:28:51 PM

4. Best comment ever, OS2GUY.

Posted by: David | Mar 9, 2012 1:50:28 PM

5. OS2GUY completely missed that this was a setup and everyone was in on the joke. (Clue: It's labeled as being done by Improve Everywhere.)

Posted by: unruly | Mar 9, 2012 2:06:18 PM

6. Seriously, how could anyone not see that this was a joke, and not take it for what it is (i.e., cool, fun) because it wasn't subversive?

Sheesh.

Posted by: TJ | Mar 9, 2012 2:48:00 PM

7. Spinning beach ball of death? I always called it the spinning rainbow of death. Beach ball is better.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Mar 9, 2012 5:13:42 PM

8. Who is posting these lame videos and wasting my time? I watched 2 idiotic ones - guess I should know better than to come to this site on weekends. Please study towleroad's weekday style more - it's annoying to see such a difference on the weekends.

Posted by: Cal | Mar 10, 2012 12:56:27 AM

9. OS2GUY vs everyone else? What's happening? All I'm sure of is that TJ's hoping those elephants won't show up.

Posted by: uffda | Mar 10, 2012 1:22:28 AM

10. UFFDA - TJ is at the .001 level of significance that no elephants will show up ;>)

Posted by: TJ | Mar 10, 2012 3:33:21 PM

11. I prefer 'spinning color wheel of death' but I'm not going to split hairs oh wait I just did.

Posted by: DeeVee | Mar 10, 2012 7:13:49 PM