Crime | Dallas | News | Texas

BigGayDeal.com

Texas Woman, 71, Arrested for Anti-Gay Hate Assault with Cane

A 71-year-old woman was arrested and charged with a hate crime for using her cane in an anti-gay attack on a man, the Star-Telegram reports:

DerbyWanda Derby attacked the 25-year-old man Wednesday night as her son was moving into the man's apartment, Richland Hills police said.

"This apparently angered Derby," Richland Hills Detective Tye Bell said in a news release.

Derby referred to the man with a homosexual slur and told authorities that the man "has AIDS and is going to kill her son," according to the news release. Derby, who was arrested Wednesday, was free Thursday afternoon on $11,500 bail, according to Tarrant County criminal court records. She is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, enhanced as a hate crime, and assault causing bodily injury.

...Derby is accused of hitting the man, who was not identified, several times with a cane and choking him by placing the cane against his throat. The man's mother saw the attack and went to help. As she called 911, she was hit in the face, Richland Hills police said. The man had marks and bruises on his throat and body and was treated at the scene, police said.

Derby's Facebook page is littered with angry rants about her neighbors, including this one about her son.

Derbyson

UPDATE: Derby's victim is speaking out. Check out his interview HERE.

Comments

1. Wanda Scurvy is a butt-load of class...

Posted by: Marcito | Mar 30, 2012 8:15:15 AM

2. If she's 71 and her son's companion was 25, how old is her son and what was he doing living at home. Weirdness. Anyway it's nice to see a 71 year old meemaw not afraid of the new social media :-).

Posted by: MarkUs | Mar 30, 2012 8:20:18 AM

3. Hateful old bag.

Posted by: sparks | Mar 30, 2012 8:23:15 AM

4. This situation exemplifies the damage done to families by religion. Organizations like the Mormons and Catholic Church say they promote love, but their bigotry does nothing but tear families apart. This woman is pathetic.

Posted by: candideinnc | Mar 30, 2012 8:26:26 AM

5. I love it when an old battle-axe gets her just desserts! Her son is better off...

Posted by: Chopsie | Mar 30, 2012 8:29:41 AM

6. Oh my!...we know what side of the political isle she sides with...and what family values she has.

Posted by: FreddyMertz | Mar 30, 2012 8:30:25 AM

7. Vile hate-filled cünt.

Posted by: EO | Mar 30, 2012 8:36:57 AM

8. I'm sure her attacked was motivated by her deep faith in Jesus Christ as her personal lord and savior.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Mar 30, 2012 8:40:58 AM

9. And the Mother of the Year goes to ...

Posted by: John | Mar 30, 2012 8:51:36 AM

10. Admittedly I don't use Facebook, but I have no ability to understand why anyone would feel the need to broadcast the details of their personal lives, especially when it comes to a situation like this one. I find that almost as deranged as the physical attack.

Posted by: Sean | Mar 30, 2012 8:54:33 AM

11. Aren't stories like this a bit of an abuse of hate crime laws? Yeah she's an angry stupid old bat but this is about her son and someone she doesn't want him to be with (because it seems she already hates him as a neighbour). I just think this kind of situation is a bit of an insult to people who suffer genuine serious assaults in other parts of America where there is no hate crime enhancement to the charge. And i don't think gay slurs shouted in the heat of the moment equate to a crime that was purely motivated by homophobia.

Posted by: DanSwon | Mar 30, 2012 8:58:20 AM

12. Sounds to me like this "mom from hell" has had serious issues with her son for some time and used the gay issue as an excuse for venting her rage. This goes beyond homphobia. She's seriously evil and needs to be locked up. And yes, a mother announcing on Facebook that she's disowning her son is truly weird. I hope the man she assaulted will be OK.

Posted by: mary | Mar 30, 2012 9:03:07 AM

13. @DANSWON - And the swinging of her cane that caused bruising to two people don't count as a crime either? Her attack was fueled by hate for gay people. How is this not a hate crime?

Posted by: Gigi | Mar 30, 2012 9:03:20 AM

14. "Admittedly I don't use Facebook, but I have no ability to understand why anyone would feel the need to broadcast the details of their personal lives, especially when it comes to a situation like this one."

Sean, I know a nurse at the hospital I work at who learned her son (who lives in the same city) had gotten married by reading his Facebook. Unbelievable. And she said it like she was saying she had read on his page he had bought a new car. All within earshot just stood with their mouths open.

Posted by: MarkUs | Mar 30, 2012 9:05:06 AM

15. I am surprised they even recognize hate crime laws in Texas. I'm surprised Rick Perry didn't give her a medal.

Posted by: Lee12 | Mar 30, 2012 9:06:53 AM

16. Very sad, sounds like an extremely distressing ordeal. I agree with what everyone said, if this is the "family values" social conservative and religious bigots are all talking about than I sure am glad I am *supposedly* lacking in it. Hopefully the son and his boyfriend just hang in there because, ultimately, together they will be so much better off.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 30, 2012 9:08:27 AM

17. The most shocking part of this story for me is that, according to her facebook page, she worked for the Red Cross. I just can't picture her helping out hurricane victims.

Posted by: Brian | Mar 30, 2012 9:15:33 AM

18. @ SEAN :

As my Tee shirt says :
    "No, I'm not on f#&*ing Facebook".

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 30, 2012 9:28:09 AM

19. It's amazing that her facebook is public...the crap she posts and gosh..nice work experience...what the heck is she being allowed to work at the Red Cross and such places?!

A hate spewing trash idiot.

Posted by: mak136 | Mar 30, 2012 9:29:51 AM

20. He's better off.

Posted by: Michael W. | Mar 30, 2012 9:32:24 AM

21. Mental impairment comes to mind. Anyway, he couldn't defend himself? Did she sneak up from behind or something? Bizarre.

Posted by: anon | Mar 30, 2012 9:44:46 AM

22. I would like to clear some things up about this situation. I am the sister of the young man that this happened to. First, he is not a couple with her son by any means. The reason her son moved in with my mom is because Wanda kicked him out and he needed a place to stay. We have known him for over 10 years, but only met her a few months ago. My brother did no wrong and did not deserve any of this. My family accepts his choice and always will.

Posted by: Lynn Childers | Mar 30, 2012 9:51:22 AM

23. It sounds like she doesn't just hate gay people, but everyone around her

Posted by: Steve | Mar 30, 2012 9:54:43 AM

24. HELP! I'm being oppressed for expressing my Christian faith!

Get ready for this kind, loving, gentle grandmother to be the next poster victim for the Religious Oppression industry. NOM needs a diversion and they can't be too choosy right now. Besides, by the time Brian Brown and Maggie Gallagher get finished with this story Grandma will look like a defenseless invalid who was set upon by a mob of rabid, foaming at the mouth, Christian hating homosexuals.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Mar 30, 2012 9:58:09 AM

25. I bet she 'Teabags for Jesus' =)

Posted by: Jakrabt | Mar 30, 2012 9:58:36 AM