Film | Gay Youth | News

BigGayDeal.com

This Gay and Age: VIDEO

Gayandage

This morning I posted about Joel Schumacher's short film about a closeted high school jock which is an entry in the PBS online film festival. Here's another film, a documentary short from the festival's 'Growing Pains' category, which takes a look at stereotypes and LGBT youth, and also pays a visit to the Anoka-Hennepin school district.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This was amazing. We MUST bring even more awareness to the plight of all LGBT, especially LGBT kids.

Posted by: Scott R | Mar 7, 2012 2:29:28 AM

2. We need to put the spotlight on this issue until every single parent and school board realizes that gays have been the floor mat long enough and they won't play anymore. That we demand rights and respect, and that includes gay children who older gays will stand up for.

Posted by: J | Mar 7, 2012 2:30:33 AM

3. The problem also stemms from the shame many gays have within themselves. For every out and well adjusted gay man, is a few who really do believe being gay is wrong, or they resent the gay community strictly because they've been told to. The amount of gay men on these sites (albeit, I imagine it's far less than it actually seems on paper, and really only just a few select trolls that post under different handles) who slam gays and make bigoted comments toward the gay community is alarming and proof positive the bullies are often closeted gays themselves toward other gays who are comfortable being gay.

Posted by: J | Mar 7, 2012 2:32:36 AM

4. People like UFFDA and Rick with their unhealthy fixation with masculinity and belittling fellow feminine gays don't help either. I know we're often told to ignore UFFDA and Rick because they seem to struggle with many issues on their own, but the message remains, the rainbow colors represent all kinds of gays and lesbians regardless of mannerisms, age, or color. If you can't grasp that, you are no better than the worst bully.

Posted by: Constance | Mar 7, 2012 2:34:58 AM

5. @ Constance: Amen! But you'll soon learn to ignore those trouble makers who thrive off stirring the pot on here. Most healthy minded gays know that the fem gays and butch lesbians are just as instrumental to our community, if not more fragile for taking the first bullets. Any gay man or lesbian who would put down a fellow LGBT based on how they talk & walk has many personal wounds they haven't confronted on their own soul. It says a lot more about them than the person they are judging. Just ignore em'

Posted by: IonMovies | Mar 7, 2012 2:37:20 AM

6. I stand side by side with every gay youth who has been made to feel lesser than for who they are. Whether that be the masculine lesbian or the effiminate gay young kid, you have my unwavering support as an ally, and I'll continue to fight and educate on your behalf. Diversity means just that. Diverse. And free to be who you are sans judgment and disdain.

Posted by: Mike Mitrels | Mar 7, 2012 2:39:18 AM

7. Haters and cynics will always exist on this site, and usually it's just two repetitive people (one nut job closeted self hating gay known as Ratbastard/Rick/UUFDA/Jasoin given the day and meds he took) or it's the resident straight homophobe. These two have a dance in nearly every post to see who can out troll the given topic with their commentary. Their commentary almost always has a hint of homophobia (sometimes blatant) attached to it. The good news? an overwhelming majority of gays are coming out, accepting being gay, and making no apologies for it while embracing fellow gay brothers and sisters. The trolls are now the minorities of our community, not one of us...as we've accepted who we are and have peace in our hearts (and in our writings on here) for it.

Posted by: ciela | Mar 7, 2012 3:07:08 AM

8. This is excellent. Effective and affecting. And the kids are so well spoken and insightful. This needs to be a full length film.

Posted by: peter | Mar 7, 2012 4:17:47 AM

9. This short is fantastic...This lil documentary should be shown everywhere...it is that good.
    I wish it was a feature-lenght film...
    =)

Posted by: George F | Mar 7, 2012 8:59:14 AM

10. Great docu. The segment on the Anoka-Hennepin schools was particularly wrenching.

I have a friend who was I guess a bit flamboyant in HS. All his troubles melted away when he transferred to a performing arts high school, just as portrayed in this film. I wish that were an option for more kids.

I almost feel guilty for having it so easy in High School myself. I was neither over-the-top obviously nor ignorably gay, yet I was never once bullied or derided or demeaned, and I never saw any such thing happen to any kid at my quite normal, NYC suburb school. (The Jr. High in this town was a different story, but it's great that by high school a modicum of maturity seemed to prevail.)

I almost feel that times are worse now than they were then, but I suppose that's because I'm paying so much more attention to the issue now, and it obviously differs greatly from place to place. I do think kids are coming out at earlier ages now (um, I was in high school in the late 1970's), and I hope their courage is increasingly met with respect.

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 7, 2012 9:21:49 AM

11. It was infuriating to watch the interviews from the Anoka-Henepin school distrist, Bachmann country. Here's the mother of a boy who killed himself sitting next to a boy who is always on the verge of tears when he talks about the school atmosphere there, and (at the time of filming) the school board was still refusing to do much of anything about the situation.

Contrast that with kids from other areas who had at least some protection and support from their school and they were relatively "together"- it's like the difference between chalk and cheese.

Posted by: Caliban | Mar 7, 2012 9:25:27 AM

12. I want to give Justin (the kid with the rainbow heart on his cheek) a big hug and tell him it'll get better, buddy. Someone's got your back.

Posted by: Dback | Mar 7, 2012 9:37:44 AM

13. Not available in my country? It's not like I live in the Duchy of Grand Fenwick...

Posted by: Randy | Mar 7, 2012 1:57:53 PM

14. Was anyone else just amazed at how well spoken and intelligent these young people were? Even beyond being as self-aware as they were, they were able to articulate their experiences so well. It was truly amazing. Kudos to these young people, and may they find a wonderful life in a world that's growing in acceptance every day.

Posted by: matt S | Mar 7, 2012 6:04:18 PM