Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Kentucky | News | Pat Robertson | Tornado | weather

BigGayDeal.com

Pat Robertson Says Prayer Can Stop Tornadoes: VIDEOS

Robertson

On yesterday's The 700 Club, Pat Robertson was asked about the tornadoes that have ravaged parts the country and killed at least thirty-nine people, Right Wing Watch reports.

Said Robertson: “If enough people were praying He would’ve intervened, you could pray, Jesus stilled the storm, you can still storms.”

In related news, a Kentucky woman tried to pray away an approaching funnel cloud as it passed over her home in a video played on CNN. Nearby West Liberty was ravaged by the storm.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Tornado

Woman prays away a tornado:

Comments

1. If you pray long enough, the tornado will go away. Of course, if you just sit there for the same amount of time, the tornado will also go away. So, what it boils down to from Pat's position is how much money you put in that all important collection plate.

Posted by: Bill | Mar 6, 2012 1:54:03 PM

2. I'm surprised he said that its a very Republican area.

Posted by: Vern Dufford | Mar 6, 2012 2:38:05 PM

3. The insanity of Calvinist thinking at work here is fairly strident if you follow the bouncing ball: you can't pray for salvation because that is determined by God before you are born, but you can pray away tornadoes despite them being God's will to punish the wicked (whom he deemed irredeemable before they were born). And you can't determine who is headed for salvation or not, but should they die, for whatever reason, that would put their salvation in doubt because the saved get bodily carried into heaven. I think we can stop here.

Posted by: anon | Mar 6, 2012 2:45:04 PM

4. God is an awesome God -

It is a shame that people like Pat Robertson
    and Rick Santorum "represent" such closed minded
    and bigoted ideas of who God is

Posted by: Lala | Mar 6, 2012 3:00:26 PM

5. 3 Suggestions instead of praying to Jesus: 1. Move to a less tornado-prone area 2. Dig a basement 3. Don't live in a mobile home (God hates those).

Posted by: Rance | Mar 6, 2012 3:01:35 PM

6. Just remember, Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell, who is always mentioned on the short list of potential GOP VP candidates, got his start in politics as Pat Robertson's right hand man.

Posted by: JONNY NYNY2FLFL | Mar 6, 2012 3:11:38 PM

7. UFFDA!

Were the power of prayer to have any discernable effect on anything, believe me, humanity would have figured that out by now and EVERYONE would be praying CONSTANTLY.
    When this unfortunate woman first saw that cloud, it could have progressed in any direction --360 degrees. Her house probably represented about 1 degree of the arc of that circle. Which means that if the tornado is traveling a random path, the chances are 359 to 1 that the tornado would miss her house. I think the odds were greatly in her favor and her prayer had nothing to do with it. Just sayin'!

Posted by: Dan Cobb | Mar 6, 2012 3:17:01 PM

8. @LALA :

What do you mean, God is a "who" ?????

I am not a "who" nor a "what".

Signed:
    God.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 6, 2012 3:46:20 PM

9. @Dan Cobb :

Agreed Dan.

But by praying the tornado away from her one degree she caused and called destruction down on top of the degree that got it !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 6, 2012 3:48:07 PM

10. isn't a more accurate explanation that the woman's prayers resulted in the deaths of others?

after all, it wasn't no Christian prayer of "Dear God, take me and spare others", it was "dear god, not ME!"

one could very well say this woman's prayers killed other people. YAY!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 6, 2012 4:00:14 PM

11. There's never been a disaster Pat Robertson couldn't make a buck off of. Praise the Lord. (and pass the collection plate)

Posted by: true colors showing | Mar 6, 2012 4:20:43 PM

12. Hee hee.....

Yeah God, don't phuck me , phuck someone else down the road.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 6, 2012 4:44:35 PM

13. You know, if we all pray hard enough, and I know most of us are, Pat Robertson will drop dead. Don't lose faith, just keep praying for it and it WILL happen. (As Jesus is my lord. (This little incantation makes it official.)) Amen.

Posted by: true colors showing | Mar 6, 2012 4:59:41 PM

14. UFFDA - I pray every day that elephants will not stampede my house down. No elephants ever show up (so far, anyway). Is that proof that my prayers worked? If I stop praying, and elephants still never show up, is that proof that prayer has nothing to do with it, or do I then rationalize it by thinking that I must have prayed hard enough in the past? If elephants do show up one day (circus in town, train derails), do I say that I should have prayed harder? Or is it just possible that sh*t happens, or doesn't, and my praying or not or being a good person or not, has absolutely no effect?

It's scary to accept that one has no control, so we try to make sense of things by finding justifications. We pray because we think it gives us some control. Bad things happen to bad people. Good things happen to good people. If you are a good "prayer," all things are possible. If something happens anyway, and we can't find a justification, we then say that God has a plan that we can't understand. It covers all the bases. Phew!

Posted by: TJ | Mar 6, 2012 5:15:27 PM

15. So, if I have the most sincere pumpkin patch, does this mean that the Great Pumpkin will stop tornados, too?

Posted by: TJ | Mar 6, 2012 5:16:54 PM

16. Someone make sure Pat takes his Thorazine. It helps to control the agitated, belligerent senile.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Mar 6, 2012 5:36:29 PM

17. And if she prayed to save the people down the road she would be a Communist or a Socialist......(per USA political philosophy.....Small wonder Repugs hate Health Care for all.....they are the same as this bit*h, "save me, phuck everyone else".)

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 6, 2012 5:40:48 PM

18. For once wacky Pat kind of makes sense- praying never hurts in dire circumstances but I if there is tornado coming first hide and then pray or you'll end up in Oz

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 6, 2012 5:48:54 PM

19. Three words. Gib. Ber. Ish. I don't mind prayer, in fact I pray rather regularly, but I most strongly object to people being false and lying, EVEN while praying. It was my main grouse with the pentecostal churches back in Nigeria. "Speaking in tongues" as described in the Bible, was when the Holy Spirit inspired Peter and the others to speak OTHER HUMAN LANGUAGES that they hadn't been taught so foreigners could understand. THIS is spouting senseless words just so you can feel blessed and empowered, and I think it's disgraceful to say the least. Who in her audience can say they understood her, and if she's talking to God, why won't English suffice? Big irritation, but I hope they're alright...

Posted by: Deee! | Mar 6, 2012 8:18:50 PM

20. I also kind of doubt the notion of praying away tornadoes. You can't pray away the gay, much less tornadoes. And while someone might say "If you have enough faith", someone with a truckload of faith can still be swept away, so, umm, yeah, NEVER SAY THAT AGAIN!!

Posted by: Deee! | Mar 6, 2012 8:21:39 PM

21. Maybe if I pray to God he'll get Kiwi to stop talking about defecating on people's graves? Honestly, Raymond, this obsession with poop is not healthy, and it won't contribute to a good image of gays. The first thing most homophobes would say is that "well, you can see why he's so into poop. I mean all that sodomy...." And no, this is not MY comment. But it will be others' comment.

I offered once to read a book on gay subjects if you'd stop talking about defacing graves. I can see it didn't work. How about a check to Marriage Equality USA or Freedom to Marry? Would that do it?

Posted by: Mary | Mar 6, 2012 9:27:54 PM

22. If prayer can stop tornados, then you should be ashamed of yourself, Patty. Get your decrepit ass down there to the tornados and start prayin'. You're going to Hell for not doing more to help those people.

Posted by: mododavid | Mar 6, 2012 10:49:54 PM

23. MARY - are you praying? And if so, what is the empirical evidence that it is working?

Lord knows, I've tried to curb KIWI's "enthusiasm" from time to time (his exuberance can sometimes cross lines). Prayer would seem the least effective method.

Posted by: TJ | Mar 7, 2012 12:36:58 AM

24. TJ, I was actually just kidding, but I really should pray for Kiwi anyhow. By offering to contribute to a pro-marriage equality organization I was hoping to show him how serious I am about convincing him that his inflammatory suggestions are uncalled for and harmful to the gay community.

Incidentally, we don't pray with the belief that God will always grant our requests. Nor do we give up on prayer because God usually doesn't give us what we pray for (or in some cases, has never given us ) We pray because ultimately all things are in God's hands. Prayer occurs outside the realm of percentages and averages of success rates.

Posted by: Mary | Mar 7, 2012 1:25:53 AM

25. MARY - so it is up to God's whim? We pray to influence, and hope for the best? Honestly, I think hope is the best thing ever. But I also believe in the fighting chance, agency, and working for your fate. You want to beat a tornado? Build a storm cellar, if percentages and averages and science supports the positive outcomes. Wishin' and hopin ' and prayin' only worked for Dusty Springfield. And only as the hook for a song.

Posted by: TJ | Mar 7, 2012 1:47:39 AM