Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Kentucky | News | Pat Robertson | Tornado | weather

Pat Robertson Says Prayer Can Stop Tornadoes: VIDEOS

Robertson

On yesterday's The 700 Club, Pat Robertson was asked about the tornadoes that have ravaged parts the country and killed at least thirty-nine people, Right Wing Watch reports.

Said Robertson: “If enough people were praying He would’ve intervened, you could pray, Jesus stilled the storm, you can still storms.”

In related news, a Kentucky woman tried to pray away an approaching funnel cloud as it passed over her home in a video played on CNN. Nearby West Liberty was ravaged by the storm.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Tornado

Woman prays away a tornado:

Comments

1. Yes, T.J. Certainly human beings shouldn't spend all their time praying for God to rescue them - they should, of course, be practical and do what they have reason to believe will help protect themselves. I wasn't suggesting they shouldn't. All I meant was that prayer is done in addition to these other things. God has his own reason for granting or not granting our requests - reasons we can't be expected to always understand.

Also, what do you think my chances are of getting Kiwi to take my offer seriously? Would he refrain from more "poop suggestions" to see a marriage equality group get some money, or would he rather continue his vulgarity (because the offer was completely serious)? Something tells me that unfortunately, it's the latter.

Posted by: Mary | Mar 7, 2012 2:25:36 AM

2. Evidence suggests that KIWI is himself sh*t that falls from Canada. At his too frequent worst. No one can do anything about it because his father has always been scared of him, never providing the disciplin necessary to a passionate boy with a fecal fixation, also preoccupied with the size of everyone's testicles. Alas, he could have been a gentleman instead of a bowel-loose cannon.

Of course he can say wonderful things that make a fan of everyone but his hubris is overarching and will certainly keep him less than amenable to cooperation with you.

I think that David Kuria, the gay Kenyan seeking political leadership against alarming odds, could be his cure. Imagine if someone as vile as KIWI aspires to be were to meet and fall in love with a young gay African gentleman who deserves all the respect and support in the world. Either he would be transformed and uplifted or by his toxic streak of instability be the downfall of both of them.

Posted by: uffda | Mar 7, 2012 3:08:09 AM

3. I've been praying for Pat, but it apparently can't cure stupid, either.

Posted by: ophu | Mar 7, 2012 3:12:49 AM

4. Rance, God doesn't hate trailers, Tornadoes hate trailers.

God hates people who pray to him to win game shows and move tornadoes away when they pretty much ignore him the rest of the time.

Posted by: johnny | Mar 7, 2012 7:01:11 AM

5. So I ate mushrooms, right, and I had this experience of the Universe that made me believe that we create the world we live in. So to this I say...yes, we can draw to us negativity--even storms, and yes, we could potentially shoo them away.

It's the whole Matrix thing, it is not so much trying to bend the spoon, but realizing that the spoon does not exist. This is almost next to impossible--especially since we are all so scattered from worries and technologies and cannot meditate or focus our thoughts. I think this is possible, however.

Now...call me crazy.

Posted by: Rin | Mar 7, 2012 7:36:24 AM

6. RIN - Cray-Cray!

Posted by: TJ | Mar 7, 2012 12:23:27 PM

7. I understand how prayer can makes us feel better. I understand how focusing our thoughts, meditating, can help us. I understand the self-fulfilling prophecy, where we rise or fall to the expectations of others or ourselves because belief systems affect how people treat others or themselves - thoughts become things.

But ultimately, I'm going to put my faith in science. Saying that God has reasons why he does or does not listen to and act upon prayers is an after-the-fact explanation. I believe in God because God believes in me. Because I believe in God. And go round and round and round in the circle game.

Posted by: TJ | Mar 7, 2012 12:34:14 PM

8. @TJ

I worked with HIV/AIDS for a lot of years and donated time at hospice. I have seen cancer eat up a body and disappear after prayer and I've seen people pray and pray and...nothing.

Some would say, "God's will". I don't. I think something else is going on.

Forget prayer for a moment...look at the placebo effect. If you tell someone that the pill works and they believe it...it can work. A sugar pill can work just as good as a chemo drug simply because someone's mind believes it so completely and faithfully that it works.

Call me cray-cray again, but why not study the placebo effect more? It works in a large percentage of people, so why not harness the brain's own power to help us learn how to self-cure instead of loading our bodies down with more drugs? Okay, realistically because it is not a money-making sort of venture, but...

I think humans have a lot more "power" than we realize, and shrooms (no judgments) helped me see this.

I swear, I am a mix bag of hippie and conservative ideas. This chick fits in nowhere. :(

Posted by: Rin | Mar 7, 2012 12:46:11 PM

9. Your wish is again my command: Cray-Cray! ;>)

I should think that a drug that doesn't have a statistically significant effect greater than that of a placebo, or doing nothing, would not be a drug I'd want to do. I'm a chairs and tables guy (or so my partner describes me). Show me the money, so to speak.

Posted by: TJ | Mar 7, 2012 1:17:24 PM

10. Gee; I thought that senile old man had died years ago. Is this false profit still preaching and collecting money like some people collect stamps? Oh, well, he's harmless for the most part.Yome marcheson.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Mar 10, 2012 9:26:32 PM