BigGayDeal.com

Trevor Thomas, Hope for Western Michigan in Congress: VIDEO

Trevor

Back in February I posted about Trevor Thomas, the former Communications Director for Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, and his run for Congress, challenging Rep Justin Amash, a Tea Party Republican from his hometown in Michigan’s 3rd District.

Both of Trevor's opponents are self-funding millionaires — Amash, and a Democrat named Steve Pestka who is both anti-choice and sees Trevor's positions on LGBT issues as "extreme".

Today, we're participating in a blogswarm to help Trevor face a critical fundraising deadline in the next 24 hours. I've posted an interview with Trevor by former Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm (for whom he used to work) which aired on Current last Friday night. Please watch it, and if you feel inspired to help Trevor out, you please do so HERE.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Bart Stupak is a former member of Congress who is not running. Steve Pestka is his potential Democratic primary opponent.

Posted by: jersey | Mar 29, 2012 9:26:17 AM

2. Dude, where are you getting your information? I live in Amash's district. Amash is no millionaire. He's also a pretty hard core libertarian, bucking the republican party frequently (he voted against SOPA, NDAA, etc). Bart Stupak is not running against him (stupak retired from the house). Amash's primary opponent is Steve Pestka, a former state judge and state representative. Sorry, but Trevor Thomas has no chance against Pestka or Amash.

Posted by: joe | Mar 29, 2012 9:29:26 AM

3. He resembles a young Jimmy Stewart - "Mr. Thomas Goes to Washington".

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Mar 29, 2012 9:40:35 AM

4. I live in Amash's district, too. Amash's family has amassed millions by importing Chinese-made tools -- their company is (rather misleadingly) named Michigan Industrial Tools. But he's not self-financing his campaign, he gets plenty of financial support from other well-heeled conservative families in West Michigan. "Conservative" is the operative word in this neck of the woods, where the Calvinist-inspired Christian Reformed religion is as dominant (and as intolerant) as any brand of Protestantism in the southern Bible Belt. I greatly admire Trevor Thomas, and I've contributed to his campaign, but Joe is right -- Trevor is fighting a lost cause. And good on him for doing so!

Posted by: eplin | Mar 29, 2012 9:44:31 AM

5. Joe, dude, where are YOU getting your information? Amash IS a millionaire; his company, Michigan Industrial Tools, makes cheap tools in China and sells them here for, I'm sure, enormous profits. Also, "Bart Stupak" was clearly a typo. Also, Steve Pestka is not Amash's primary opponent. Also, Trevor totally has a chance if true progressives support him. You think Dems are lining up to vote for a dude who's doesn't think victims of rape and incest should be able to have abortions. Yes, Trevor doesn't have the millions of dollars behind him, but he's got a shot and I'm excited to support the underdog.

Posted by: Joe Two | Mar 29, 2012 9:45:49 AM

6. If Pestka isn't Amash's main opponent, then who is? Pestka is the democrats' last "hail mary" to unseat Amash.

Posted by: joe | Mar 29, 2012 9:48:45 AM

7. Since when is it evil to import tools from china?

Posted by: tim | Mar 29, 2012 9:52:31 AM

8. I think will the changes in the district and the current political climate, Trevor really has a shot at making history.

No one said it was evil to import tools from China. It's just that inexpensive labor from China will put more money in Amash's pocket, whereas investing in Michigan manufacturing could be an investment in jobs in his own community.

Posted by: Joe Two | Mar 29, 2012 12:05:31 PM

9. Speaking of Michigan politics, when will someone finally out State Rep Bob Genetski, (R) 88th Dist from Sagatuck. Seriously.

Posted by: MetroDem | Mar 29, 2012 2:29:36 PM

10. Every elected Democrat in the 3CD is backing Steve Pestka for Congress because we know him and trust him. He's a former County Commissioner, State Representative and Judge as well as a successful businessowner. Pestka commissioned a poll that shows him beating Amash by 4 points. Trevor won't share his poll with most people, but one who has seen it says Trevor never gets above 34%. Trevor Thomas simply isn't viable and is unpopular in the district. Don't waste your money.
    And the falsehood about Pestka being anti-LGBT is simply a fabrication made up by Trevor (one of many).

Posted by: Phil Skaggs | Mar 29, 2012 3:53:37 PM

11. I really don't understand why MY CITY COMMISIONER, Phil Skaggs, is actively and openly going around to every blog to blast Trevor Thomas. My understanding is that Steve Pestka and Trevor are both within the margin of error in their numbers against Amash. Regardless, why isn't Trevor allowed to run and let voters decide? I'm excited to have an openly gay candidate running for the first time, and I think his presence in the race is good for the causes I care about. Pestka really doesn't represent me on big issues. Choice is an important issue to me, I would not be excited to back a candidate I see as a compromise, and the negativity directed at Trevor only makes me less excited about Steve. Phil, don't you have better things to do with your time? You're embarrassing me.

Posted by: Joe Two | Mar 30, 2012 12:10:41 PM

12. Joe Two, what I’m doing is what I believe is in the best interest of the Third Congressional District.
    We have a viability issue here. Steve has a poll showing him defeating Justin Amash 47-43. Have you seen Trevor’s poll? No? That’s because he refuses to show it with anyone and instead manipulates people by stating that he’s within the margin of error. What he’s in the margin of error with Steve is in name ID at the beginning of the poll (there both in single digits). But, what matters in these polls is the last matchup after biographies, positives and negatives on both candidates (because it simulates an actual election). So, we get Steve winning, and (according to someone on Trevor’s inner circle who talked to me), Trevor never gets above 34%. That’s way below the base Democratic vote in the district. What I want to do is win and get rid of a congressman who is bad for everyone in West Michigan because he puts rigid ideology over representing the district. I want someone who can win and govern. That’s the point of elections. Do I agree with Steve on everything? Nope. But I agree with Amash on almost nothing. I know Steve, he’s been a friend, ally and mentor. Supporting friends is never a waste of time.
    I’d be happy to talk more, just friend and message me on facebook.

Posted by: Phil Skaggs | Mar 31, 2012 5:56:52 PM

13. That makes sense, Phil, and if Steve wins the primary I'll probably support him. I haven't seen Trevor's poll, and I'm not an expert on polling, but my understanding is that he worked with the best pollster out there, Mark Mellman, who believed, based on their numbers, in Trevor's viability. I think some of what you report as facts about Trevor's polling are hearsay and speculation, and I don't think that's appropriate, particularly from someone in a role as important as yours. I am inclined to hold you to a higher standard, and while you accuse Trevor of bending the truth, I feel like you're doing it yourself. I understand you want to support Steve, but I don't think blogs comments are the appropriate medium.

Posted by: Joe Two | Apr 1, 2012 1:21:43 PM