Ban-Ki Moon | News | United Nations

Secretary General Ban-Ki Moon Condemns Anti-LGBT Violence at Historic UN Hearing as Muslim, African Leaders Walk Out: VIDEO

Bankimoon

Yesterday, at the start of the UN Human Rights Council’s historic hearing on LGBT equality, UN Secretary General Ban-Ki Moon denounced violence and discrimination against LGBT people:

Said the Secretary General:

"To those who are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, let me say, you are not alone. Your struggle for an end to violence and discrimination is a shared struggle. Any attack on you, is an attack on the universal values the United Nations and I have sworn to uphold. Today, I stand with you and I call upon all countries and people to stand with you too. A historic shift is underway. More states see the gravity of the problem…We must tackle the violence, decriminalize consensual same-sex relationships, end discrimination and educate the public."

Several leaders from Islamic and African nations from the 57-nation Organization of Islamic Cooperation walked out, Think Progress LGBT reports:

A diplomat from Pakistan described homosexuality as “licentious behavior promoted under the concept of ‘sexual orientation’ is against the fundamental teachings of various religions including Islam.” He added, “From this perspective, legitimizing homosexuality and other personal sexual behaviors in the name of sexual orientation is unacceptable to the OIC,” he added.

Representatives from Nigeria joined the walkout, “saying that violence against citizens based on their sexual orientation or gender identity simply didn’t occur in the state, while Mauritania, of another Arab group, all of whose members are also in the OIC, warned that any so-called attempt to impose ‘the controversial topic of sexual orientation’ would threaten to undermine progress on other human rights issues.”

Watch Ban-Ki Moon's address, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I am so very tired of reading the excuses from third world governments blaming all of their self-destructive and inexcusable human rights violations on "colonialism." Colonialism ended a half century ago -- two and a half generations ago.

It's ridiculous for people who were born after it ended to keep blaming it. It's as ridiculous as Greece blaming its economic crisis on "Soviet oppression."

Everyone has rights, and many third world governments have decided to violate the rights of individuals in a savage and inexcusable way. It's their own choice, their own decision and their own responsibility. Period.

Posted by: Excuses, Excuses | Mar 8, 2012 5:04:30 PM

2. @David Ehrenstein Muslims are being pushed off the world stage? Hardly. It is the fastest-growing religion in the world and the countries in which it is practiced tend to have the highest birth rates. And thanks to feminism, birth rates in Europe have plummeted at the same time....so you might actually be looking at a Republique Islamique du France in another generation or two, certainly not what you would like......I don't know how Jewish you have to be to harbor the delusional idea you just expressed.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 8, 2012 5:31:54 PM

3. Thanks to feminism? Way to totally discredit everything you just wrote.

Little Kiwi - we must hail from different parts of the world. Or, more likely, that plus you study the subject, while I just observe. It's very true the most cosmopolitan places also tend to be the most provincial - but from my perspective of having lived only in New York and Los Angeles, it seems there couldn't possibly be any gay men that are in the closet, since both cities are simply crawling with out gay guys.

I'd also like everyone whose lives or livelihoods would not be endangered by doing so to come out of the closet ... why is it you believe so many are still in?

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 8, 2012 5:54:59 PM

4. "And hey, apparently it's ok to be bi and homoactive in Syria. I don't think the same can be said of Iraq. So I don't quite think it's a muslim thing."

It's everywhere in the Islamic world. I think the incidents you have heard about in Iraq recently are probably due to the American presence......and the "gay" idea that comes with American/Western culture--an idea that truly is alien in much of the world.

I only used Syria as an example of a state that is usually considered repressive.....in places like Morocco and Egypt, if you don't get hit on repeatedly over the course of a visit of a few weeks, you are either unattractive or you are just not paying attention.

Lots of really hot, horny--and young--guys for the having in all these places if you just relax and exercise discretion....and stop thinking "gay" and forget about all the scary stories you have heard about the Arabs.

I had heard all those stories too and was apprehensive until I began to understand how things work in that part of the world, which only comes from experience, experience that very few Americans have had.....

Posted by: Rick | Mar 8, 2012 6:23:53 PM

5. Oh yes, I'm sure that gangs of thugs went around just after Saddam's regime was toppled, and again this week, and rounding up gay or gay seeming men by the dozens and torturing them to death because of the American presence. Thanks, you've just discredited everything you wrote, also.

Let me remind you. These men were bound, their rectums sealed with glue and fed diarhetics until they burst open and died after days of agonizing pain. Yeah, American presence responsible for that.

Thanks for playing.

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 8, 2012 7:25:33 PM

6. I'm proud to say it! I'm Nigerian, and I used to f*ck ALL THE TIME in high school! Come and get me from 6000 miles away, you bigots!

Posted by: Deee! | Mar 8, 2012 8:14:11 PM

7. What do you expect from savage, backwards animals? Those are countries people flee *from*, not flock *to*.

Little Kiwi, you just keep living in your Western-privilege bubble believing that America and Christianity are the problem. You don't even know how ignorant you are.

Posted by: Max | Mar 8, 2012 9:17:12 PM

8. @Rick Bottom line is that in these Arab countries homosexuals are not equal and are a second class citizen. If you step up and demand your rights you will find yourself the victim of gang rape at the hands of guards in a prison, because in Muslim (and African) culture male-male sex is legitimized as a weapon (e.g. the Iranian uprising in 2009 where a number of men contracted serious STI from being gang raped by prison guards). Rick, you cannot have the rule of law without equality under the law.

What the East needs is a sexual revolution. Women need to be equal. Then they need a homosexual revolution. In that order, sex and then gender and gender identity need equal protection under the law.

But the concept of equality under the law is not an Islamic principle - nor are human rights. That makes your statements part of the problem.

Posted by: Brim | Mar 8, 2012 11:23:30 PM

9. The louder they scream the louder they scream.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Mar 9, 2012 9:04:29 AM

10. @Peter: When she did they did.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Mar 9, 2012 9:07:50 AM

11. As a gay man living in Africa, I find some of the comments on here appalling. “Bomb them back to the 12th Century”? Really? I’m sure (though I could be colossally mistaken) that that statement was made in jest.

I work for the Gay and Lesbian Coalition of Kenya (Yes. We have such an organization) and I have been to Uganda to speak to the sexual rights activists on fighting the anti-homosexuality bill in that country so let me give you a bit of the African perspective. Culture and religion does play a big role in undermining human rights in Africa. There is a false rhetoric that homosexuality is a western import and against the African culture. I have done extensive research on this and can say without a doubt that homosexuality existed in Africa way before the west got here. People also say that it is against religion…to which I tell them…why pick out the “western import” that you find more appealing and use it to put down another “western import”? Hypocrisy?

That said, one cannot compare the societal attitudes towards alternative lifestyles in Africa with those in the USA for example. We are not at the level people in the USA are. I am sure that at some point in time, people in the USA had almost similar opinions on homosexuality as people in Africa do now. We have a long way to go. The main thing on my job description is to spearhead the decriminalization of homosexuality process in Kenya. This is a HUGE task involving talking to so many people and with the potential of immense resistance (which I am already facing). But for true freedom to be achieved in Africa, societal attitudes have to be changed. We are working on that. The people who walked out…they are our prime targets. Ignorance and hate is something that can change…and we are trying to change it.

So don’t bomb us back to the 12th Century. Some of us are working on changing the situation.

By the way…in Nairobi…you WILL get hit on by a guy in the street.

Posted by: Anthony from Kenya | Mar 9, 2012 10:41:27 AM

12. Anthony -

Best message of all. I wish you all kinds of luck in fighting the negativity back home and also in other parts of the world.

People over here react badly to the situation you must face every day - and by badly I mean with extreme rage either directed at your culture or at their own. You sound like a smart guy who has moved past the indulgence of anger and is trying to create solutions.

Hang in there Anthony.

Posted by: Yeek | Mar 9, 2012 10:53:02 AM

13. QUOTE: Backwards, ignorant people resent being reprimanded and simply cling harder than ever to their positions out of spite. Gentle persuasion doesn't work too well either. They cannot be changed.

I wonder if the pink mafia realise you are talking about them>

Posted by: Truth v Lies | Jan 5, 2013 10:42:57 PM