News | Television | Zachary Quinto

BigGayDeal.com

Zachary Quinto, Jessica Lange Back as 'American Horror Story' Leads in Season 2

Jessica Lange and Zachary Quinto are back for more American Horror Story, Deadline reports:

Zachary_quintoLike Lange, [Quinto] will play a brand new character next season, which is set at an East Coast institution. What’s more, I have learned that Quinto will play one of two male leads and the nemesis to Lange’s character, which will be at the center of the Season 2 storyline. The part is sure to draw parallels to Quinto’s breakout role as uber-villain Syler on Heroes.

While Lange had been expected to return — she confirmed ongoing negotiations at the Golden Globes and the SAG Awards, where she won for her performance on the show, Quinto’s return had been kept under wraps until now. Quinto and Murphy are friends; that’s how Quinto’s original stint on the show came about.

Comments

1. Have not seen Jessica Lange in this program but will make it a point to watch! She is a real beauty and talent ,her black and white photography is just as stunning to look at.

Posted by: Vern Dufford | Mar 2, 2012 6:15:33 PM

2. Taking bets: Will he be cast as gay, or won't he?

Posted by: JC | Mar 2, 2012 6:27:32 PM

3. This show is TERRIBLE. Why they are bringing this mess back is beyond me.

Posted by: Alex | Mar 2, 2012 6:49:58 PM

4. I don't watch this show, how does it work, two actors back as two different characters? I love Quinto, but not sure I'm ready to take the plunge for yet another Ryan Murphy drama. Glee spiraled out of control very quickly.

Posted by: Amber | Mar 2, 2012 7:35:31 PM

5. I really enjoyed this show. I'm looking forward to seeing it again. :)

Posted by: w.t. door | Mar 2, 2012 7:47:03 PM

6. This show is phenomenal. Yes, you gotta pay attention. But it is soooo far removed from Glee! The first season is set in an old house. Maybe they've told all the stories there they can, so they are moving it to another setting! Can't wait! If you love Jessica Lange - get hold of the first season - she is beyond brilliant!!!

Posted by: madmatty | Mar 2, 2012 7:50:14 PM

7. AHS was the best show on TV this season, and Lange was spectacular in it. She'll surely get an Emmy to go with the Golden Globe and SAG Awards. Quinto was also excellent. Since he played a gay character this season, I'm guessing his character will be straight next season. (Next season will feature an entirely different story line, and the few actors who are returning from last season will be playing different roles.)

Posted by: josher | Mar 2, 2012 7:50:15 PM

8. @JC - He was already cast as gay on Season 1, prior to his come-out.

@Amber - AHS already started spiraling out of control. It's filled with cliches, packed with 3 plot twists every episode. But I liked it very much. Jessica's character is great.

Posted by: Syrax | Mar 2, 2012 7:52:52 PM

9. Spiraling out of control, cliches, 3 plot twists in every episode - you mean, that's a bad thing?

Posted by: TJ | Mar 2, 2012 7:57:05 PM

10. Wow, I had no idea it would be a different ghost story each season. Now that arc makes sense, since I wondered what would happen now that all the human protagonists are ghosts in the house. That's kinda cool, but I wonder if the daughter will ever forgive the high school serial killer, and now we'll never know!

I loved Jessica Lange's character, and hope her new one is just as juicy. Nothing wrong with more Zach Quinto either. But no more Dylan McDermott?! Gasp! Too bad. What a fine looking man (though, of course, his character was a total creep.)

Oh well, 3 more actor holdovers to be announced tonight. I'll cross my fingers for more McDermott!

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 2, 2012 8:09:09 PM

11. Great show, Jessica was excellent! Zach was good so I'm glad both on are on the new story second season. Now if they could only sign up Bomer we'd have some real fun!

Posted by: DBClark | Mar 2, 2012 8:21:09 PM

12. Seasonal Anthology, huh? More shows should try that.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Mar 2, 2012 8:41:26 PM

13. Syrax, I know that. What I'm wondering is if he'll always play a gay character, or if he'll play straight.

Posted by: JC | Mar 2, 2012 8:43:01 PM

14. This show is awesome, and anyone who says that it's terrible is a moron or scared. Sorry, but you're wrong.

Jessica Lange is by far the highlight. It would actually be cool for Quinto to be completely different, because his character was odd.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 2, 2012 8:45:24 PM

15. what about PRETTY GIRL???

Posted by: mattsy | Mar 2, 2012 11:42:43 PM

16. Tate!

Posted by: Gry | Mar 3, 2012 1:01:54 AM

17. PAUL R - I might beg to differ. I enjoyed the experience; therefore, I ignored the numerous flaws. And holy disembowelment and past time for the flight response, there were flaws. The show was a mess, albeit a highly, highly entertaining one. Despite flaws, I'll be first in line for he next season, with an eye peeled for the jumped shark.

Posted by: TJ | Mar 3, 2012 1:16:45 AM

18. This was one of my favorite shows of last season. Jessica Lange was great, but the real star was Taissa Farmiga! Soooo good! I loved all the plot twists. And there were some real scares as well. Brilliant!

Posted by: Joe De Hoyos | Mar 3, 2012 2:46:18 AM

19. @TJ: So you liked it, but you hated it, but you'll be watching breathlessly again to see it fail.

Well that makes a ton of sense. Sorry that my comment wasn't as clear as yours.

(By the way, you might to learn the term "suspension of disbelief." It's a horror show. Not many horror movies are reasonable.)

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 3, 2012 3:09:29 AM

20. I tuned out after enjoying Dylan McDermott's gratuitous butt shot in the opening of the last season. I just could not follow the story, nor particulariy cared for any of the characters. Perhaps I will watch it again on NetFlix when I can follow the "anthology" arc from start to fininsh.

That is not a new concept; NBC did it back in the 70's with, what was that? "Murder Mystery Movie"; that had Columbo, Banachec, The Snoop Sisters, etc... in a once-a-month serial (before they went into dedicated 1-hour series). Nice concept; perhaps basic cable can resurrect more of that kind of genre.

Posted by: 99% | Mar 3, 2012 9:36:02 AM

21. This was the second best new show I've seen recently (first being "Enlightened"). I love the idea of them bringing back actors in different roles, and would hope that they bring back Frances Conroy too. It's criminal that she doesn't work more than she does.

Posted by: Ben | Mar 3, 2012 11:08:05 AM

22. Paul R, so angry.

Posted by: CarlottaVonFunkenhowzer | Mar 3, 2012 1:17:55 PM

23. You're confusing sarcasm and anger. I have the least temper of just about anyone I know. I work in diplomacy, so it wouldn't really work as a long career if I were an angry person.

OK, I'll grant that "moron" was rude. Sorry. I worked about 100 hours this week, and that comment was unnecessary.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 3, 2012 2:23:20 PM

24. I'm looking forward to the next season! I love Zachary Quinto and Jessica Lange. They two of my favorites right now. I look forward to seeing who else is cast in the show.

Posted by: Tyler | Mar 3, 2012 5:25:05 PM

25. @ALEX You're dead wrong. Dead wrong.

Anyway, this is great news! Constance was probably my favorite character on television last year and although Lange won't be reprising the character - I'm glad to see she's coming back. She's terrific. And so is Zachary Quinto.

Posted by: James | Mar 3, 2012 5:45:41 PM