Adam Lambert | Jimmy Kimmel | Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

Adam Lambert Performs on Jimmy Kimmel Live: VIDEO

Lambert

Adam Lambert brought two tracks from his forthcoming album Trespassing to Jimmy Kimmel Live last night.

Check out his latest efforts "Trespassing" and "Never Close Our Eyes", AFTER THE JUMP...

Instinct_lambertIn an interview with Instinct magazine, Lambert recently suggested that it hasn't been easy getting a solid gay male following:

The outspoken entertainer, one of very few openly gay recording artists signed to a major American label, didn’t shy away from discussing what he sees as the elusive gay demographic early on and without prompting when he sat down to chat with Instinct.

“As a community, we’re a little bit resistant to a gay male pop star ourselves,” Lambert says. He’s confident. His delivery indicates he’s spent time thinking about the topic. “It’s very easy for people to look at my origin, which is American Idol, and automatically assume that I’m a commercial sellout or a puppet or a flash in the pan. I don’t think I’m any of those things.”

A laugh, marinated in tension, inspires him to get a little more personal.

“There’s something weird there. We’re very eager to celebrate a strong female. But to celebrate a fellow gay man—it gets catty sometimes.”

Check out his performance on Kimmel, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. ARGH! This bugs the crap outta me because I genuinely like Adam Lambert and I really enjoyed him on American Idol.

Gay males aren't resistant to embrace him because he's gay. We don't embrace him because his music is feckin' awful!

If he recorded an album of Queen-style anthems and beautiful "Mad World" ballads, I have no doubt gay men would love him. But his record label has him recording bland, safe pop crap to placate the American Idol audience of tween girls and cat ladies.

How does he not get this?

Posted by: endo | Apr 27, 2012 12:13:44 PM

2. I don't think it's cattiness. He just hasn't written a Vogue or a Ray of Light, or even a La Isla Bonita, really.

Posted by: yonquersconquers | Apr 27, 2012 12:22:55 PM

3. The lack of a gay following is probably because his music is not that great. Another problem is that he is not as cute/hot as he and his middle aged female fans think he is. That Thompson Twins look has got to go.

Posted by: Jacoby | Apr 27, 2012 12:50:46 PM

4. He tweeted "I'm still learning.Sometimes I state my opinions as fact and make generalizations.I apologize to the LGBT community. Great music is the key." just after that article came out. I read article and it's too bad because otherwise it's an interesting piece.

Maybe you could add the tweet to the post Andy?

I do like him and he's generally a positive guy. Sounds like he's a bit frustrated through. I think his talent is greater than his songs but I haven't heard the new album yet.

I hope it's good because he is breaking barriers on radio and his success will make it easier for the next guy.

But let's be honest, there's still plenty of cattiness along with guys who just just don't like his music.

Posted by: IAN F | Apr 27, 2012 12:57:33 PM

5. So what the first three posts are saying is that Lambert's music isn't gay enough for them and he isn't hot enough.

Yep, Lambert nailed it. Catty.

Posted by: QJ201 | Apr 27, 2012 12:57:44 PM

6. Adam's record label doesn't "have" him recording anything. He's writing and recording what he loves to do - pop. It's OK if it's not to your taste, but his music is a boatload better than most of the pop out there today because it's creative and doesn't need to be autotuned. He has a stellar voice that's amazing regardless of the genre he sings, and he's even better live. He's just not interested in being cast into the rock "box" that a lot of people who loved him on Idol would like to see him fit into.

And as far as the cattiness goes, he's dead on about that. I do follow him and can't tell you how many snarky articles and nasty comments I've read by gay men who disparage him for his hair, face, clothes, personality (seriously? when Adam is the nicest guy ever), and everything BUT his music. He deserves a lot better for being the out and proud gay man that he is, whether one likes his music or not. A lot of teens (as well as others) have written heartfelt messages to him about how his openness has saved them from despair or made it easier for them to come out to family & friends. He's a role model for a lot of people - too bad some of you don't get that.

and "cat ladies" - what the hell is that? lol

Posted by: timesmasher | Apr 27, 2012 1:02:11 PM

7. @ENDO,

Exactly. If he had some real talent, we as a community would support him.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Apr 27, 2012 1:05:05 PM

8. "his music is not that great" but lady gaga, katy perry, and all these other broads gay men adore is??

Posted by: Emmy | Apr 27, 2012 1:19:38 PM

9. @QJ201 (what are you, an AM radio station?): You completely missed the point. His songs are not good. That's not catty. That's just honest.

@timesmasher: You are incredibly naive about how the music industry works. RCA has total control over artists like Adam Lambert. Clive Davis chooses (and pays for) the producers that Lambert works with and the type of songs. If you don't think so, just ask Kelly Clarkson about her experience with My December.

@Phoenix Justice: FALSE. Adam Lambert is enormously talented.

Posted by: endo | Apr 27, 2012 1:25:54 PM

10. I cannot believe some of you find him without talent. My ears must have been damaged from Ke$ha- who I secretly love- because I find Adam's voice really amazing and his songs from the first album are great. Just don't get the average reviews of him overall.

Posted by: Drew | Apr 27, 2012 1:26:39 PM

11. I think no one wants to admit it, but there's truth to what he's saying. The gay male community is more likely to support female artists, and to criticize and exhibit internalized homophobia to gay male artists.

Not that mediocre music isn't PART of it, but as @Emmy pointed out, our community does sure seem to get behind a lot of mediocre music from women.

Posted by: BenR | Apr 27, 2012 1:29:41 PM

12. @ENDO You are incredibly mistaken in this case. Adam is the Executive Producer of this album, meaning he is in complete creative control of what gets produced. While RCA may be recommending producers to him, they are not making the ultimate decisions about what he writes in collaboration with those folks or what goes on the album. Now radio play is another story. Many fans were distressed at what they consider "safe" first choices for his singles from this album, but accept that it's a strategic decision that had to be made to get him radio play by stations that are more attuned to the generic pop stuff that's out there these days. His own songs are much more interesting and will eventually get the exposure they deserve once people have heard the album.

Posted by: timesmasher | Apr 27, 2012 2:04:44 PM

13. I just don't like his music, but I want him to succeed.

Posted by: Monrob | Apr 27, 2012 2:05:57 PM

14. Drew: It's called jealousy.

Posted by: Jason | Apr 27, 2012 2:08:43 PM

15. Adam isn't far of the mark at all. There are dozens and dozens of gay artists out there toiling away without a major label record deal. Many of them are self producing amazing music of all genres. Many of these men have amazing voices, are stunningly beautiful, and are incredibly talented.

So why aren't they a hit with gay men? Why aren't they the star performers at gay pride events instead of your generic disco diva who had one hit 30 years ago? Why doesn't there stuff sell?

Because too many gay men are more interested in style rather than substance. we're drawn more to fantasy than reality. Because shallow still passes for depth in our community.

It's why Madonna ends up on the cover of the Advocate as a "Gay Icon" instead of an actual, you know, GAY PERSON, like k.d. lang.

If you've never been to the Queer Music Heritage site do yourself a favor put down your ipod loaded wtih Ke$sha/Katy/Gaga/Madonna and visit:

Sorry for the rant, but being married to a man who has produced, mixed and recorded 7 albums all on his own has made me a bit touchy about this issue.

Posted by: Geronimo | Apr 27, 2012 2:11:51 PM

16. Those of you making catty remarks, saying Adam has no talent, you need to the pull corncob out of your butt so your bigoted ass's can think and hear. If these really are gay commenter's they are also dumbass know nothings, not all gays are smart, or talented. It's not kool to be gay and stupid, and some of the comments here are stupid at best, but mostly just plain ignorant.......I have no time for people that lie trying to hurt someone, don't you fools know the rest of the world has ears. If you are truly gay I feel sorry for your dumb asses, but because you are not only dumb, YOU'RE STUPID! I happen to be gay and I recognize greatness when I hear it, apparently many of you don't, but in the meantime, shut the hell up, you don't know what you are talking about.

Posted by: Jessie | Apr 27, 2012 2:12:14 PM

17. I think there's something about a comment section that brings out the catty gene in many people, and not just on this site. I'm not the world's biggest Lambert fan (as a rural guy I really think he looks better when he loses the odd hair) but I don't think it's right to call him without talent.

Posted by: Butch | Apr 27, 2012 2:18:12 PM

18. Don't be fooled people, there's a group of people, bigots I should say, that follow Adam from site to site making disparaging remarks, they pretend to be gay, they are neither gay or former Adam fans, they are bigots. Only someone with an ear of gravel would say Adam Lambert has no talent, so pay these fools no mind.

Posted by: Ray | Apr 27, 2012 2:20:49 PM

19. @Phoenix Justice

"Yeah.....Exactly. If he had some real talent, we as a community would support him."

Curious....do you think Katy and Britney have 'real talent'? If so,your statement clearly tells the discerning listeners that you have hearing problems!!

Best laugh of the day!!

Posted by: b | Apr 27, 2012 2:21:50 PM

20. timesmasher: You just went from naive to flat out dumb. And honestly, you're starting to sound like a Stan, which renders you incapable of objective thought.

Music execs at the majors do not let artists have complete control. This is a business. They are out to make money. Artists do not make sound financial decisions.

Posted by: endo | Apr 27, 2012 2:28:10 PM

21. Well he ain't Connie Francis,but he does have the eyebrows and kind of her hair... he can scream like a girl...hell maybe he is Connie Francis!

Posted by: VDUFFORD | Apr 27, 2012 2:34:53 PM

22. I actually think he's right.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Apr 27, 2012 2:45:57 PM

23. "Trespass" is a boring song, but "Never Close Our Eyes" is pretty good and I've already heard a kickass dance remix of it. I hope DJs will play it. He still has that incredible voice. I'd love to hear him to an album of Sinatraesque standards one day. I was obsessed with him on "Idol," and loved his 1st album. He's an interesting talent because not many like him have come before, except for the guys like Freddie Mercury who could only hint at their sexuality back in the day. Only now are openly gay entertainers starting to get attention. How do we respond to them?

He's right about gay male support - gay men just don't flock to support other gay male entertainers. They're all over gorgeous straights who are idealized versions of gay men, like Ben Cohen, Darren Criss, etc. Internalized homophobia is a very, very tough nut to crack. Gay men find too much fault with each other. Gay men are used to supporting women for so many years, many of them don't know what to do with one of their own.

Interesting phenomenon - with Lady Gaga, you have a straight woman supported by gay men. With Adam, you have a gay man supported by straight women.

Posted by: Jim | Apr 27, 2012 2:47:46 PM

24. I have nothing against him, he's a fine person, I just don't care for his music.

Posted by: Locutus of Board | Apr 27, 2012 5:08:10 PM

25. Jacoby's comment proved Adam's point. Catty, catty.

Posted by: Bakeley | Apr 27, 2012 5:20:44 PM