Bruno Mars | I'm Gay | I'm Not Gay | Music | News

Bruno Mars Did Not Come Out of the Closet

Mars

A CNN iReport claiming “The famous pop-star Bruno Mars admits his homosexuality" caused the singer's name to trend on Twitter yesterday.

Gossip Cop reports that Mars' representative denies any closet door has been opened:

A second outlet played up the rumor, claiming that Mars “admitted to a small Chicago radio station” that he was gay, first supposedly under the guise of April Fools’ Day to test reaction, and then for real. It’s 100% false.

The singer’s rep tells Gossip Cop the reports that Mars has come out of the closet are “completely fabricated” and “false.”

Comments

1. "I have a silly & totally irrational crush on him. And...it kinda would fizzle if I knew he were gay. Ofcourse it would win him new fans who would replace me so I guess it doesnt matter. And yes I know its totally crazy & illogical but I cant sexually crush on a gay man"

Yep. That comment speaks volumes, more than a thousand other comments on this site combined. And trust me, your feelings are the norm, which explains the phenomenon I referred to in my first comment.

And that would hold whether you are a gay man or a straight woman.

The truth is that being an "out" gay man is not sexy to anybody....as the few gay performers who have come out will tell you....and that is as much a reflection on how gay men feel about themselves and each other as it is about anything else....feelings that remain largely negative....and so coming out as a performer can only hurt you.

And the real reason most activists want to force some of these guys out of the closet is to enhance their ability to tear them down and damage them in some way, not because they think that (or care whether) their coming out will help eradicate homophobia.

No group in society is nearly as nasty to its own kind as gay men are--none even comes close.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 3, 2012 12:11:02 PM

2. Really, Nikko? A child could write the lyrics to his songs.

"Today I don't feel like doing anything
    I just wanna lay in my bed
    Don't feel like picking up my phone
    So leave a message at the tone
    'Cause today I swear I'm not doing anything."

Wow. So original and moving.

Posted by: Sean | Apr 3, 2012 12:11:43 PM

3. My heart skipped a beat when I heard this. Big Bruno Mars fan here who should pay more attention to rumours and less to the man's incredible talent. I guess there'll be a lot of "spin" around this. Too bad. Bruno, don't be afraid to come out. Meanwhile, I'll catch "The Lazy Song" over on YouTube again because when Bruno shakes his hips in his boxers, I go ecstatic!

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 3, 2012 12:22:52 PM

4. Who cares if it's true or not. What pisses me off is that in 2012 CNN would refer to a coming out as "admitting" being gay, as if it's a crime or something dirty. People don't "admit" to doing things that aren't considered bad. It's like saying a person was "accused" of being gay.

Words are POWERFUL and need to be used correctly, particularly by journalists.

Posted by: TampaZekex | Apr 3, 2012 12:57:37 PM

5. Never heard of this guy & could care less.

Rick, you need to get out more, man. Three out gay men, who huge numbers of other gay men, and women, find sexy as hell come to mind: George Michael, Ricky Martin, Matt Bomer. Where do you come UP with this stuff?

Posted by: jim | Apr 3, 2012 1:34:41 PM

6. George Michael? In what year?

Posted by: Mohammed | Apr 3, 2012 2:12:54 PM

7. MOHAMMED: REALLY? ...

Posted by: Stuart | Apr 5, 2012 1:26:44 AM

8. Actually, her love life does not concern us but if he was gay it would mean that Chanel Malvar and Jessica Caban are ... MEN!!
    OH MY GOD! ^ ^
    of course this info is a fake, and I think he likes women too much to be gay XD

Posted by: #ParisGoesWell | Apr 20, 2012 1:33:29 PM

9. Hey 'EO' just so u know he is not gay and even if he was, it wouldn't change the fact that his music AND his personality is awesome so can u please stop being a jerk

Posted by: lovebruno | Dec 19, 2013 4:24:25 PM

10. dude i don't care if he is gay or not whether he is or he is not, it wouldn't affect the fact that he is awesome and the people who posted those comments, can u please shut up for a sec and just listen to how he sings, i call that true talent

Posted by: bruno4evs | Dec 19, 2013 4:28:50 PM