2012 Election | American Family Association | Bryan Fischer | Mitt Romney

BigGayDeal.com

Bryan Fischer To Romney: Don't Hire Gays

Bryan-FischerAndy reported on Friday that Mitt Romney has hired openly gay communications strategist Richard Grennel to be his campaign spokesman. You'd think Republicans would welcome the news. Grennel's hiring shows that Republicans are generous enough to uncomplainingly rub elbows with sinners, and the promulgation of that message could (who knows?) attract a few gay and gay-friendly votes.

That logic either never occured to or doesn't suffice for the American Family Association's Bryan Fischer, who yesterday tweeted this message:

Romney picks out & loud gay as a spokesman. If personnel is policy, his message to the pro-family community: drop dead.

Horrible as Fischer is, this is still rather shocking. Fischer has never before said that moral employers oughtn't hire gays, nor is it currently a plank of the American Family Association's platform that LGBT folk should be denied the dignity of work. And maybe that's not what Fischer believes, either -- maybe he believes only that politicians oughtn't work in close quarters with gays, lest we corrupt their ethics. Either way, I hope he elaborates.

Comments

1. Denise, do you have a problem with transpeople?

I'm a proud gay man who stands in solidarity with my trans brothers and sisters. They're actively discriminated against to an even higher degree than gays and lesbians.

There is such thing as LGBT, whether you like it or not. We're all in it together.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 22, 2012 3:58:59 PM

2. Proof, as if it was needed, that "pro-family" is synonymous with anti-gay. This issue has literally nothing to do with families, but he still plumps for that term, I suppose to conceal the fact that he preaches hatred, bigotry and prejudice underneath a layer of doublespeak.

P.S. In related news Richard Grennel is a piece of sh!t.

Posted by: Sean | Apr 22, 2012 3:59:38 PM

3. Proof, as if it was needed, that "pro-family" is synonymous with anti-gay. This issue has literally nothing to do with families, but he still plumps for that term, I suppose to conceal the fact that he preaches hatred, bigotry and prejudice underneath a layer of doublespeak.

P.S. In related news Richard Grennel is a piece of sh!t.

Posted by: Sean | Apr 22, 2012 3:59:40 PM

4. i'm consistently irritated at the fact that "legit" newsmedia outlets refuse to point out that the AFA and the similarly-named groups are also anti-Semitic.
    AFA, Focus on the Family, Concerned Women of America...they're no just anti-gay, they're anti-Jew, anti-Muslim, anti-Secularist.

they'd be given less credence to your average headline-browsing citizen if they realized that it aint just GAYS these groups hate - it's anything and anyONE not a Conservative Christian.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 22, 2012 4:04:09 PM

5. Has nobody ever told Mary the big male secret? Mary, sit down..., the vast majority of straight men experimented with each other during puberty. Do you think circle jerks and the other clichés are just urban myths? Half the homophobia around the would is most likely caused by guilt about these youthful experiments. (the other half are closeted gay men.) circle jerks, comparing size, who can come first or furthest and any number of games. When boys hit puberty they usually only have male friends to go through it with. I can't believe women still don't know this!

I'm serious Mary. So if you're worried about "experimenting," you're about ten thousand years late.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Apr 22, 2012 4:37:44 PM

6. michaelandfred, it's one of those things that you KNOW has haunted the Rick Santorums of the world to this very day. He probably got "caught" - and he's spent his adult life insisting it never happened, because he "hates the gays."

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 22, 2012 4:41:18 PM

7. Mary it partially right: one change within Fundamentalist Christianity is - at least in some Christian Colleges like Evangel College is that one can 'be' gay as long as one does not engage in 'gay' sexual acts. The change is that being gay got you booted out of school (this still happens in many places) whereas, Christian schools are more tolerant. This thinking extends - psychologically speaking - to Far Right Republicans where gay people are tolerated as long as they keep their mouths shut. It's all that 'love the sinner and hate the sin" crap.

Posted by: Daniel | Apr 22, 2012 4:57:45 PM

8. Michael, first off, experimenting with behaviors that are socially taboo to any extent is something that has occurred since the beginning of time due to human nature (of which I'm well aware.) The "forbidden" can be fun. It can also be fun to be "ideologically promiscuous" and "flirt with the enemy" - as I do on a regular basis by visiting Towleroad and posting here. But we have no way of knowing how many people experiment with taboo behaviors. The very fact that they are still taboo means that those who try them are not likely to talk about this. So we really don't know what percentage of young males try homosexuality. It is certainly higher than the number who would ADMIT experimenting, but there are always people who DO adhere to social norms. Your assumption that "all boys" do what you and your friends did is naive.

And experimenting to be "cool" when you're a teen is not the same as experimenting when you're an adult because you've developed a true relationship with someone of the same gender and are now starting to speculate that maybe you really want to make this person you're life partner. This is less a "let's do something wild" instinct than a "maybe I should reassess how I want to live" instinct, which is something entirely different. I was referring to the second type of experimentation and not the first. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Posted by: Mary | Apr 22, 2012 5:04:17 PM

9. as i've said before, people who don't have sex and love lives of their own can't seem to stop worrying about the sex and love lives of others.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 22, 2012 5:06:20 PM

10. Fischer of course is head of AFA, and its on the hate group list per the splc

He is of the same religious beliefs as those that justified slavery as per the bible

And given his utter hatred one wonders whether he is another George Rekers, founder of the hate group FRC and former head of the 'fix the gays group NARTH"

who of course it turns out is a Queer with a capital Q (sri, thats my word for self hating gay people)

the big deal with Rekers is that to rent that boy for a two week period runs, per the rentboy.com website, is about $15000

Hate is a great business in the USA.

JUst as it was a great biz to hire black people for zero wages, rape their women by the "massa", and then they would sell their own progeny as if they were cattle.

BTW another evangelical xtian is named Anders Brevik of Norway. Its obvious that he was proud of what he did.

Posted by: billywingartenson | Apr 22, 2012 6:37:23 PM

11. I canjust see Fischers pappy or grand pappy putting in a news paper the job ad from the 1930s I found in my fathers papers. Ending ......

JEWS AND COLORED NEED NOT APPLY"

We shoujld send off Fischer (thats a german name btw as spelled) to some island with minimal population, as hte Brits did re sending criminals to Au long ago.

I'd suggest Borneo - they still have headhunters.

I know people who'd pay a million to have Fischer's shrunken head on the wall

Posted by: SteveMD2 | Apr 22, 2012 7:19:22 PM

12. How is the American Family Association not a hate group? Seriously.

Posted by: Alexx | Apr 22, 2012 7:27:30 PM

13. @Mary...michaelandfred wasn't talking about teenage boys "experimenting to be cool". He was talking from experience -as a former teenage boy- about boys during puberty showing off their brand new "toy" to each other. My straight identifying older brother and his friends did this when they were around 12 to 13 and I got to go along with the ride since we shared a room. Only one of them could you say was "trying" homosexuality - he and I fooled around until I was 17 and he was 18.
    Talking with many men over the years - with those who identify as gay or straight or as bisexual - many, many have recounted similar experiences, in fact almost all of the men I have met over the last 60 years have had similar experiences. The only exceptions were men who grew up in very isolated or extremely religious households where sleepovers were either uncommon or prohibited.
    The fact that homoerotic behavior is fairly rampant among pubescent boys tells ME that 100% straight males are about as common as Triple Crown winners. Zero on the Kinsey scale is not, I believe, the majority. Most people are somewhere between 1 and 5...they just do not or cannot admit it.
    As for gay men like Ric Grennel, I don't see them as "self hating" which seems to be a knee jerk reaction comment about any and every gay conservative. I see him and his brothers as having over inflated egos, more in love with themselves and their sense of entitlement and that they have very little empathy for "others", especially those who fall outside their socioeconomic class of privilege, ambition and power.

Posted by: Paul Keckonen | Apr 23, 2012 9:18:35 AM

14. So let me get this straight: if I were Mr. Fischer's employer, Federal law would prohibit me from firing him for espousing his bigoted views because they spring from his religious beliefs, but if I worked for him, he could fire me without repercussion because I'm gay. It sickens me when I hear so-called Christians claim that they, not LGBT folk, are being persecuted.

Posted by: Fritz | Apr 23, 2012 11:30:16 AM