Catholic Church | Gay Marriage | News | Washington

BigGayDeal.com

Catholic Priest Gets Standing Ovation from Congregation for Opting Out of Washington's Anti-Gay Marriage Campaign

Rev. Tim Clark of Seattle’s Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Church received a standing ovation from his congregation over the weekend when he announced it would not participate in a campaign to roll back the state's marriage equality law, the SeattlePI reports:

SartainThe parish became the sixth in Seattle to opt out of the petition drive for Referendum 74 that has been endorsed and foisted on parishes by Archbishop J. Peter Sartain (pictured).

“I am happy to report that Our Lady of the Lake parishoners have been overwhelmingly and, thus far, unanimously supportive of the decision I made NOT to gather signatures in support of this Referendum,” Clark wrote in response to an e-mail. “The standing ovation experienced during one of the Masses says less about me and much more about the health of this parish.  I only wished the archbishop could have experienced the sustained applause — the ‘sensus fidelium’ — of the people.  He needs to listen to this ‘voice.’ That is my prayer.”

If supporters collect 120,577 valid voter signatures by June 6, they will be able to block marriage equality from taking effect in Washington and put the measure on the ballot in November

Clark, whose announcement was in response to a letter from Sartain, added: “I deeply believe, and say this with boldness, that this approach is not in the mind of Christ.”

Comments

1. Andy, if you coudl get this priest's email address i would be happy to send him a thank you note! finally some courage from a pastor

Posted by: Ted | Apr 18, 2012 6:53:24 PM

2. He is my childhood parish priest.

FrTim@OLLseattle.org

He is an amazing man

Posted by: Tom Keener | Apr 18, 2012 6:58:38 PM

3. I'm with Ted. It's about time the good Catholics of the world stand up to the tired venom from the Vatican and the bishops.

Posted by: Rick Aiello | Apr 18, 2012 7:00:29 PM

4. It's a shame what wonderful people they toss aside.

Posted by: John Normile | Apr 18, 2012 7:56:05 PM

5. Great Job!! He should lead the church not some 80 man out of touch with the group.

Posted by: Brian | Apr 18, 2012 8:16:10 PM

6. The troops are rebelling. The end is near for the Rome-based church.

Posted by: Thank god | Apr 18, 2012 8:23:58 PM

7. Catholic priests are not addressed as "Reverend". That's more common in Protestant Christianity.

Posted by: Lucrece | Apr 18, 2012 10:11:00 PM

8. Hmmm Catholic priests not towing the party line. Students in Catholic schools rebelling. It would seem as if the Church leadership are facing a growing movement within the church that are ready to stand up to Rome and say "the 21st century has arrived,adapt or fall, you cannot turn back the clock".

Posted by: Swiminbuff | Apr 18, 2012 11:09:19 PM

9. He is very brave, and if I was a religious person, I might even attend his services. However, he will be forced out like all the others who dare question the increasingly insane edicts of Rome.

Posted by: happyday | Apr 18, 2012 11:38:57 PM

10. A beautiful collection of inspiring anecdotes which brings a ray of hope when dark clouds gather, or a bit of sunshine during the rains or a speck of warmth during the cold….and I believe just a small inspiring word is enough to swim across the tides in life…:))

pizza by the slice houston

Posted by: Filip Norman | Apr 19, 2012 12:41:38 AM

11. A beautiful collection of inspiring anecdotes which brings a ray of hope when dark clouds gather, or a bit of sunshine during the rains or a speck of warmth during the cold….and I believe just a small inspiring word is enough to swim across the tides in life…:))
    pizza by the slice houston @ http://www.barryspizza.com/

Posted by: Filip Norman | Apr 19, 2012 12:42:41 AM

12. A beautiful collection of inspiring anecdotes which brings a ray of hope when dark clouds gather, or a bit of sunshine during the rains or a speck of warmth during the cold….and I believe just a small inspiring word is enough to swim across the tides in life…:))

Posted by: Filip Norman | Apr 19, 2012 12:46:19 AM

13. http://www.datebi.com is a site for bisexual and bicurious singles and friends.Here you can find hundreds of thousands of open-minded singles & couples looking to explore their bisexuality.I am also a member there under the username "lilygreen123".sign up for free.Come in and discover the excitement you deserve! ^_^

Posted by: yoyo | Apr 19, 2012 1:35:47 AM

14. WHEN CLARK IS REMOVED BY THE BISHOP

EVERYONE MUST MARCH ON THE CATHEDRAL

Posted by: Bob | Apr 19, 2012 2:55:56 AM

15. I was raised in this parish and attended its school from 1957-1965. They taught a strong sense of social responsibility and treating others like you would want to be treated. I dropped religion when the bishop of Seattle started preaching in favor of the Vietnam War effort. I finally admitted my homosexuality at age 40. I am heartened by the current priest who leads Our Lady of the Lake! He will be reprimanded by church leadership I am sure. I remain hopeful for the future happiness of all gays in Washington State.

Posted by: Howard | Apr 19, 2012 3:28:41 AM

16. Amen, Father, Amen. Finally, someone gets it. Jesus is about love, not hate. Do not use His house for hate. There is no room for hate in the heart that loves Jesus. Jesus would not approve of the petition, and neither should the IRS.

Posted by: millerbeach | Apr 19, 2012 4:48:46 AM

17. Oh, oh. I hear the Vatican is reviewing the procedures for burning someone at the stake! Talk about doing it "old school"!

Posted by: what century is this? | Apr 19, 2012 8:05:07 AM

18. I'm confused. The Archbishop has foisted a petition drive on parishes to overturn civil matters. Publicly. How is this not considered a lobbyist (and therefore no longer tax exempt) organization?

Posted by: Brian | Apr 19, 2012 10:20:42 AM

19. Sartain is the same person who not only did the research & report on American nuns but also was put in charge to 'get them in line.'

he's another one of those people who should realize that every time he prays to god, he's only talking to himself...

Posted by: mike/ | Apr 19, 2012 11:06:57 AM

20. It is uplifting to see a member of the catholic clergy supporting the glbt community by not getting on the church supported homophobic train, if anyone knows how to contact this priest, please include the information in a comment.

Posted by: lk | Apr 19, 2012 2:42:03 PM

21. Where's the damn IRS? I work with a 501c(3) and we can't even whisper about anything political for fear of losing our tax-exempt status. But the RC Church gears up the political machine to overturn a citizen approved mandate? C'mon!@

Posted by: grego | Apr 20, 2012 2:15:19 AM