Catholic Priest Gets Standing Ovation from Congregation for Opting Out of Washington’s Anti-Gay Marriage Campaign

Rev. Tim Clark of Seattle’s Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Church received a standing ovation from his congregation over the weekend when he announced it would not participate in a campaign to roll back the state's marriage equality law, the SeattlePI reports:

SartainThe parish became the sixth in Seattle to opt out of the petition drive for Referendum 74 that has been endorsed and foisted on parishes by Archbishop J. Peter Sartain (pictured).

“I am happy to report that Our Lady of the Lake parishoners have been overwhelmingly and, thus far, unanimously supportive of the decision I made NOT to gather signatures in support of this Referendum,” Clark wrote in response to an e-mail. “The standing ovation experienced during one of the Masses says less about me and much more about the health of this parish.  I only wished the archbishop could have experienced the sustained applause — the ‘sensus fidelium’ — of the people.  He needs to listen to this ‘voice.’ That is my prayer.”

If supporters collect 120,577 valid voter signatures by June 6, they will be able to block marriage equality from taking effect in Washington and put the measure on the ballot in November

Clark, whose announcement was in response to a letter from Sartain, added: “I deeply believe, and say this with boldness, that this approach is not in the mind of Christ.”

Comments

1. Swiminbuff says

Hmmm Catholic priests not towing the party line. Students in Catholic schools rebelling. It would seem as if the Church leadership are facing a growing movement within the church that are ready to stand up to Rome and say “the 21st century has arrived,adapt or fall, you cannot turn back the clock”.

2. happyday says

He is very brave, and if I was a religious person, I might even attend his services. However, he will be forced out like all the others who dare question the increasingly insane edicts of Rome.

3. Filip Norman says

A beautiful collection of inspiring anecdotes which brings a ray of hope when dark clouds gather, or a bit of sunshine during the rains or a speck of warmth during the cold….and I believe just a small inspiring word is enough to swim across the tides in life…:))

pizza by the slice houston

4. Filip Norman says

pizza by the slice houston @ http://www.barryspizza.com/

5. Filip Norman says

6. says

http://www.datebi.com is a site for bisexual and bicurious singles and friends.Here you can find hundreds of thousands of open-minded singles & couples looking to explore their bisexuality.I am also a member there under the username “lilygreen123″.sign up for free.Come in and discover the excitement you deserve! ^_^

7. Howard says

I was raised in this parish and attended its school from 1957-1965. They taught a strong sense of social responsibility and treating others like you would want to be treated. I dropped religion when the bishop of Seattle started preaching in favor of the Vietnam War effort. I finally admitted my homosexuality at age 40. I am heartened by the current priest who leads Our Lady of the Lake! He will be reprimanded by church leadership I am sure. I remain hopeful for the future happiness of all gays in Washington State.

8. millerbeach says

Amen, Father, Amen. Finally, someone gets it. Jesus is about love, not hate. Do not use His house for hate. There is no room for hate in the heart that loves Jesus. Jesus would not approve of the petition, and neither should the IRS.

9. Brian says

I’m confused. The Archbishop has foisted a petition drive on parishes to overturn civil matters. Publicly. How is this not considered a lobbyist (and therefore no longer tax exempt) organization?

10. mike/ says

Sartain is the same person who not only did the research & report on American nuns but also was put in charge to ‘get them in line.’

he’s another one of those people who should realize that every time he prays to god, he’s only talking to himself…

11. says

It is uplifting to see a member of the catholic clergy supporting the glbt community by not getting on the church supported homophobic train, if anyone knows how to contact this priest, please include the information in a comment.

12. grego says

Where’s the damn IRS? I work with a 501c(3) and we can’t even whisper about anything political for fear of losing our tax-exempt status. But the RC Church gears up the political machine to overturn a citizen approved mandate? C’mon!@