Deepwater Horizon | Nature | News

Eyeless Shrimp, Fish with Lesions Seen as Result of BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill: VIDEO

Gulfshrimp

The April 2010 explosion of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig is suspect in a mass decline of marine life in the Gulf of Mexico and a wide variety of species which are turning up with sores and deformities, Al Jazeera reports:

Gulf of Mexico fishermen, scientists and seafood processors have told Al Jazeera they are finding disturbing numbers of mutated shrimp, crab and fish that they believe are deformed by chemicals released during BP's 2010 oil disaster.

Along with collapsing fisheries, signs of malignant impact on the regional ecosystem are ominous: horribly mutated shrimp, fish with oozing sores, underdeveloped blue crabs lacking claws, eyeless crabs and shrimp - and interviewees' fingers point towards BP's oil pollution disaster as being the cause.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I wonder if hell is being re-incarnated as an eyeless shrimp.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 18, 2012 10:54:23 AM

2. ..and thats one of the MANY reasons I do NOT trust seafood

Posted by: Disgusted American | Apr 18, 2012 11:44:37 AM

3. Since BP pumped all those unsafe oil dispersants that are not even legal in the UK into the Gulf I have refused to eat anything coming from the Gulf of Mexico. If the seafood came from that region or if it is not labeled where it came from I will not buy it. If the restaurant cannot assure the fish did not come from the Gulf I will not order it. I think the stigma is what killed off one of our local restaurants, The Gulf Coast Grill. I think they really should have changed their name. It wasn't long after the Deep Water Horizon that they went under.

Posted by: George M | Apr 18, 2012 12:23:48 PM

4. Interesting that this story had to come from Al Jazeera (gasp! Arabs! Muslims! Run for the hills!).

Drill baby, drill!

Posted by: David R. | Apr 18, 2012 6:45:42 PM

5. I'm sorry, but that thing looks like those things from "The Faculty." And good pun George M.

Posted by: Garst | Apr 18, 2012 10:31:36 PM

6. George M.- I'm curious if you eat seafood from elsewhere and if you have thoroughly researched the various issues with it.

I myself will not eat seafood from China or Thailand. I do not trust their standards. All the frozen fish in the grocery stores these days comes from China except the whitefish which is wild caught from Chile (that's what I buy). The crab comes from Thailand. Do they treat sewage properly in Thailand and China?

Almost all of the garlic in store now comes from China. There is no excuse for that. Canned pineapple, which used to come from Puerto Rico and Hawaii now comes from Indonesia and Thailand. Puerto Rican rice which used to be labelled "product of usa" now reads " product of usa, india, thailand or china". Take a guess on that one.

Posted by: David Hearn | Apr 19, 2012 12:14:53 AM