Hate Group Head Tony Perkins: American Soldiers Endangered by Gay Pride Flag in Afghanistan

Afghanistan

Hate group leader Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council has his homophobic panties in a bunch over a photo that appeared last week on the Wipeout Homophobia Facebook group of a soldier raising a Gay Pride flag at an Afghanistan base camp. The photograph was of the husband of a woman named Nicole Jodice.

JodiceWrites Perkins:

The Obama administration doesn't typically run its agenda up the flagpole, but at a military base in Afghanistan, the soldiers did it for them. There, in the dusty desert of war, an Army outpost saluted the colors of the homosexual lobby by flying a rainbow flag in place of Old Glory. Back home in America, a woman named Nicole Jodice posted the picture on Facebook, praising her husband for promoting, not the stars, but these stripes…

…Just three weeks after President Obama publicly apologized for offending the Islamic community with the accidental Koran burning, this base is pledging its allegiance to an act that is nearly as incendiary. Where is the concern now for angering Afghan Muslims, who vehemently oppose homosexuality? The issue is as much an issue of military security as it is of religious morality. After February's accident with the Korans, American lives were lost. What price will we pay because some want to use the military to show their gay pride?

(FB comment screencap via buzzfeed)

Comments

1. says

what a plebe. gotta love how Perkins is now taking the side of the “extremist Muslims” he’s spent years vilifying.

I’m not sure why he’s worried about a “loss of lives”, however. He’s not minded the LGBT suicide rates one bit….

2. Steve says

The Afghans don’t even know what the flag means. There was a story some time ago about them taking a liking to rainbow stickers on imported cars. Until someone explained their meaning to them

3. Peter says

You know, I’m not so sure that it’s a good idea. Yes, we can be out in the military, thank god now, but you don’t see Christians raising cross flags or Jews raising the Star of David. Yes, we are not a religion, but a minority. We are all supposed to be fighting for the same country. My long time partner is a decorated Vietnam Veteran and he doesn’t agree that the rainbow flag should be raised at all.

4. ratbastard says

Afghanis are ignorant as dirt of the outside world. They’re still living like it was the middle ages.Sorry if that offends the narrative and agenda of some ‘progressives’, but it’s the [God-Damn] truth. It’s the truth about a lot of the places in this world.

Be thankful you’re living in North America, Western Europe, Australia/N.Z., parts of Asia,parts of South America.

And I suspect this story will irritate some ‘progressives’ further because it involves the U.S. military, who of course are uniformly evil.

5. David Hearne says

Peter,

The only relevant question is if soldier wear, bear, or display other flags while at war abroad, and indeed they do.

Follow this link to see the Confederate flag displayed in various military locations abroad. The Confederate battle flag is a symbol of the regional identity of the south, and as such is little different from a Rainbow Flag’s role as an symbol of gay pseudo-ethnicity.

6. says

Peter, your “long time partner from Vietnam” doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Flying this flag doesn’t mean that some of us are fighting for a “different country” – it’s in fact a solidifier that we’re all in this together. Or should be.

No, you don’t see Christians flying their flags. You see them proudly and visibly adopting the iconography of their faith and talking about it and never once shying away from the fact that they have that faith.

In case you hadn’t noticed, many gay people have yet to have the same fearless confidence in being gay.

That’s one reason, of many, why flags get flown – a reminder that we’re all in it together.

7. ratbastard says

@Little Kiwi,

You need to stop being such a smart-a** with a big mouth. I can’t believe I’m the first person to tell you, you behave like a little b*tch.

You can say what you want about me, but have the decency to leave anyone else, including my dead father, out of your smack talk, please.

8. Adam says

@littlekiwi You need to calm down, it’s his opinion, you sound like the republicans who think their opinion is the only one that matters. Sad littlekiwi.

9. Ricco says

And my friend, also a decorated Vietnam veteran, agrees with the raising of the rainbow flag.

We could go back and forth all day, Vietnam vets, WWII vets, Iraqi war vets, friends and lovers of veterans, each with an opinion and a justification of that opinion, but I thought HANK made a good point that “The troops are probably more in danger by the raising of an American flag.”

If, as Tony Perkins, and the GOP, are fond of saying that our very way of life, and love of liberty, our culture, is an affront to Muslims then surely the good old Stars and Stripes will convey much more than the pretty rainbow flag, the latter only confirming everything they suspect about us.

The point is moot.

To understand, STEVE, the point of raising the rainbow flag, you need only a rudimentary understanding of military pride, historically and most traditionally shown by the flying of flags, banners, and standards.

Every Group has its own distinct flag, banner or standard, as does each distinct brigade, battalion, and company, when marching, carried by a standard bearer.

And yes, PETER, there are Christian flags, flags with a cross, flown proudly on the jeeps of chaplains, and outside their tent when in the field, or in a war zone, much like what we see in the above picture.

Perhaps not the most apt comparison, but the planting of a flag, or running it up the pole, is much like a dog marking its territory by urinating.

Military pride is not always something civilians appreciate, but even for those with a military background, even gay “decorated” veterans may feel that military bearing should still be reserved for Christians and heterosexuals.

The thing is the genie is out of the bottle. You old gay vets with your fond memories of the closet, and you homophobic vets and civilians are never going to convince a military gay man or woman not to mark his territory.

Besides killing the enemy, it’s the military way!!

10. ratbastard says

@Little Canadian,

I don’t have to ‘prove’ anything to you, boss. I simply expect [as should you] a modicum of respect on these posts. I may say stuff you disagree with, that doesn’t mean you should respond like a D-bag and a punk [only a punk would talk smack about someones mom, dad, children, etc.]

My father is dead. He was in a wheelchair for many years because he was the victim of a violent crime. He was a good, decent guy. Stop behaving like a little pr*ck, Little Canadian.

11. jack says

Tony is grasping at straws. He opposed the repeal of DADT and said it would give us a military that would do only parades well. He also said it would make re-enactment of the draft necessary because straight soldiers would cease reenlisting. None of his awful predictions are happening so he doesn’t know what to say. This navy veteran is thrilled DADT is dead.

12. Zlick says

Ok, Little Kiwi, I’m one of your biggest fans on this site. And I’m no fan of Ratbastard, Rick, Jason, Tank, or any of the other trolls, trollish-posters or sock-puppets of same who post here with annoying regularity – – but please stop with the ad hominum attacks on people’s family members. It’s not cool, and it’s tiresome already. Your pop psychology about everyone with opinions we find absurd and disdainful uniformly boiling down to gayboy vs. papa issues is freudian quackery of the worst order, reduced to imbecility by your constant parading of your crystal ball omnipotence to see into the souls and histories of people you don’t even know.

Please knock it off already. You’re making an ass of yourself.

13. Michael says

The gay flag is going to piss them off??? Huh? You mean their love for America will be no more???

Btw it says it all its a heterosexual man raising this flag. Suck on it Perkins.

14. Hue-Man says

Peter, look up the Swiss flag – it flies over every Swiss embassy and consulate, including Afghanistan, Egypt, Algeria, Bangladesh, etc.

I always knew “flagpoles” were sacred ground…

15. says

Zlick, – it’d be quackery were it not the truth about rickjasontankbastard.

you wanna know why insecure racist self-hating homophobic men come onto sites like this to blame blacks, liberals, progressives, women and others for their problems, all from a place of anonymity?

because what i’m saying about them is sadly true.

ratbastard will continue to lie and post his b.s. under various handles. and it’s obvious why. and pathetic.

16. ratbastard says

@Little Canadian,

I O.N.L.Y. post as ‘ratbastard’. At one time I had another handle. That’s it; I’m not jason, tank, etc.

Neither am I a troll. I simply have some opinions different from yours. This doesn’t make a poster a de facto or any other kind of troll.

17. Zlick says

OK, Kiwi, I was just trying to give you an inkling of how the constant nature of your refutational diatribes may be seeming to some of the sane amongst us. I hope you know your screeds likely have zero effect on the trolls.

18. Chuck Mielke says

@Littlekiwi: I generally agree with your posts, but I’ll take exception to those where you seem to try to change the behavior of other posters. That’s a losing battle and, as others have noted, you damage your own arguments by those attempts. The causes of others’ behavior is only “obvious” to those who too liberally use stereotype with too little information about those others.

As for Tony Perkins, it’s really amazing that anyone can believe all of the claims he makes about the “inevitable” results of opposing his hateful policies. Next thing you know, he’ll begin prophesying the Apocalypse. He could only degrade his credibility further by running in hysterical circles waving his arms.

19. Ricco says

Troll. I always hated that word. It is so disrespectful. If there is to ones argument an intellectual component that gives the argument, whether or not all agree with the argument, a level of respect toward others, backed by good reasoning, and some facts, then I do not understand why people feel the need to call someone a troll, or any pejorative.

If you feel someone is totally off point, their argument laced with bias, specious, and utterly without merit, or worse, a blatant attack, then, if you feel the need to respond at all, treat them like that crazy old aunt or uncle. Just patronize them.

It does not bode well for a conversation when 75 percent of the comments are totally off point.

20. Jay says

Oh lord, Ratbastard is on here as well? Still the same old rightwing shtick huh? And to think I believed that no longer frequenting Queerty would mean I’d never have to read your insane xenophobic tripe any more. And now your father was in a wheelchair from a violent crime? Next you’re gonna say that a black guy did it to him right? Not all opinions should be taken seriously, especially when they come from people who are so obviously racist.

21. ratbastard says

@Jay,

Yes, he was the victim of a violent crime.

Yes, he was left in a wheelchair

Actually, since you asked, yes, he was shot by a black male[s]

And why would this shock or surprise you?

22. Jay says

It’s not a surprise it’s pretty much what I expected you to say. You’ve created a fake persona and given it a back story that would make sense to the type of person that makes excuses for voting Republican. It’s really shameful that you have to invent a story about black men shooting your father in order to justify your hatred of black people. What justifies your hatred of progressives? Did a bunch of progressives shoot your mother?

23. ratbastard says

@Jay,

You are either a troll or mentally ill. I’m neither. My ‘persona’ is not fake. And what happened to my dad and the fact he’s now dead, also is not untrue or fake.

Deal with it Jay. I’m keeping it totally real.

24. Jay says

Something as violent as you father being shot and confined to a wheelchair must have been reported in the media. What was his name? Just wanna make sure I’m not making false assumptions about you, you can help me by continuing to keep it totally real and pointing me toward a police report. These things are all on the internet, you know.

25. TommyB says

Jay, everyone who reads this blog knows that ratbastard is a miserable lying troll. Just ignore him. Everyone else does.

To comment on the post I have to say that it’s wonderful that the flag is being flown in Afghanistan. I hope it sends a strong message to the Out soldiers, and the not-yet-Out ones, that their home and their fellow men and woman in arms support and accept them.

26. Billywingartenson says

Tony is an unrepentant Racist looking for more fodder. A pal of DAvid Duke, a known Kluxer. Tony was a LA legislator

That info courtesy of someone who was in the LA legislature as a lobbiest

No wonder the SPLCenter calls the FRC a hate group.

27. Tom Cardellino says

Man alive! or, should i say Humankind alive! For a straight soldier to welcome his fellow soldiers by such a simple yet elegant gesture is astounding. When African-Americans were finally integrated into the US Armed Forces, I hope that many if not all of them witnessed their comrades-in-arms, even if just a few, welcome them as truly and finally equal in their citizenship, their service to their country, and in their humanity. As to what any Afghan observer of the Rainbow Flag being raised above an obviously American Military Base (thus the redundancy of “having to raise” an American Stars & Stripes alongside simultaneously, nit-pickers) those worldly enough in their knowledge for the most part will understand just how far beyond the Bronze Age Americans have evolved. The opportunistic “career driven” ignoramuses of Islam will hate us if the base’s McDonalds raises its usual “double rainbow” flag! To ignore the importance of such an historic and memorable-for-the-ages moment caught on film is to have your head so far shoved up your ass that you need mud-grade windshield washers to see straight! USA!

28. jack says

People would be better off if they ignored both Kiwi and Ratbastard. They don’t care about solutions to problem. They are bomb throwers who want to cause havoc. If we ignore them, we can reach some reasonable compromises.

29. jack says

I have one thing in common with Tony Perkins, we have both served in our nation’s military. I happen to believe that the death of DADT is a good thing, he doesn’t.I have many political positions in common with littlekiwi, but I just don’t like him. I can’t imagine that anyone does.

30. says

Ugh, I probably should not get into this but, Little Kiwi has an amazingly large heart from what I have seen and he really does put himself out there, you can watch his youtube videos, read his blog. He certainly gets upset with the trolls here but no one else is REALLY taking them to task and he alone has gotten them to shut up and leave a thread more than once when the message has gone so far in the wrong direction (e.g.: racism, misogyny, homophobia). I would never put him in the same category as Tank, Rick or Ratbastard and some of the other trolls here. It has never been a differing opinion with those trolls, they only have one point of view that they come from – hate for everyone different from them.

As for the story, I find it amazing and wonderful. I thank the troops for their service and think this gesture has HUGE meaning.

31. jack says

Tony Perkins like Pat Robertson, Rick Santorum, Michael Phelps , Joseph Ratsinger et al know that they are on the losing side of history in the debate about equality for LGBT folks. There is nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come.Who’s time has come???? LGBT EQUALITY!!!

32. jack says

I just wish that some of the extremists on the left would stop driving the centrists to the right. Wish exremists like Littlekiwi had a clue and wasn’t just interested in bomb throwing.