Afghanistan | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News | Tony Perkins

BigGayDeal.com

Hate Group Head Tony Perkins: American Soldiers Endangered by Gay Pride Flag in Afghanistan

Afghanistan

Hate group leader Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council has his homophobic panties in a bunch over a photo that appeared last week on the Wipeout Homophobia Facebook group of a soldier raising a Gay Pride flag at an Afghanistan base camp. The photograph was of the husband of a woman named Nicole Jodice.

JodiceWrites Perkins:

The Obama administration doesn't typically run its agenda up the flagpole, but at a military base in Afghanistan, the soldiers did it for them. There, in the dusty desert of war, an Army outpost saluted the colors of the homosexual lobby by flying a rainbow flag in place of Old Glory. Back home in America, a woman named Nicole Jodice posted the picture on Facebook, praising her husband for promoting, not the stars, but these stripes...

...Just three weeks after President Obama publicly apologized for offending the Islamic community with the accidental Koran burning, this base is pledging its allegiance to an act that is nearly as incendiary. Where is the concern now for angering Afghan Muslims, who vehemently oppose homosexuality? The issue is as much an issue of military security as it is of religious morality. After February's accident with the Korans, American lives were lost. What price will we pay because some want to use the military to show their gay pride?

(FB comment screencap via buzzfeed)

Comments

1. OK, Kiwi, I was just trying to give you an inkling of how the constant nature of your refutational diatribes may be seeming to some of the sane amongst us. I hope you know your screeds likely have zero effect on the trolls.

Posted by: Zlick | Apr 2, 2012 2:59:28 PM

2. @Littlekiwi: I generally agree with your posts, but I'll take exception to those where you seem to try to change the behavior of other posters. That's a losing battle and, as others have noted, you damage your own arguments by those attempts. The causes of others' behavior is only "obvious" to those who too liberally use stereotype with too little information about those others.

As for Tony Perkins, it's really amazing that anyone can believe all of the claims he makes about the "inevitable" results of opposing his hateful policies. Next thing you know, he'll begin prophesying the Apocalypse. He could only degrade his credibility further by running in hysterical circles waving his arms.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Apr 2, 2012 3:14:28 PM

3. Troll. I always hated that word. It is so disrespectful. If there is to ones argument an intellectual component that gives the argument, whether or not all agree with the argument, a level of respect toward others, backed by good reasoning, and some facts, then I do not understand why people feel the need to call someone a troll, or any pejorative.

If you feel someone is totally off point, their argument laced with bias, specious, and utterly without merit, or worse, a blatant attack, then, if you feel the need to respond at all, treat them like that crazy old aunt or uncle. Just patronize them.

It does not bode well for a conversation when 75 percent of the comments are totally off point.

Posted by: Ricco | Apr 2, 2012 3:21:46 PM

4. Oh lord, Ratbastard is on here as well? Still the same old rightwing shtick huh? And to think I believed that no longer frequenting Queerty would mean I'd never have to read your insane xenophobic tripe any more. And now your father was in a wheelchair from a violent crime? Next you're gonna say that a black guy did it to him right? Not all opinions should be taken seriously, especially when they come from people who are so obviously racist.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 2, 2012 5:14:00 PM

5. @Jay,

Yes, he was the victim of a violent crime.

Yes, he was left in a wheelchair

Actually, since you asked, yes, he was shot by a black male[s]

And why would this shock or surprise you?

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 2, 2012 6:03:47 PM

6. It's not a surprise it's pretty much what I expected you to say. You've created a fake persona and given it a back story that would make sense to the type of person that makes excuses for voting Republican. It's really shameful that you have to invent a story about black men shooting your father in order to justify your hatred of black people. What justifies your hatred of progressives? Did a bunch of progressives shoot your mother?

Posted by: Jay | Apr 2, 2012 6:23:29 PM

7. @Jay,

You are either a troll or mentally ill. I'm neither. My 'persona' is not fake. And what happened to my dad and the fact he's now dead, also is not untrue or fake.

Deal with it Jay. I'm keeping it totally real.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 2, 2012 6:26:09 PM

8. And Jay, I'm not Republican. Neither am I a Democrat. I'm a registered independent, i.e. un-enrolled.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 2, 2012 6:28:38 PM

9. Something as violent as you father being shot and confined to a wheelchair must have been reported in the media. What was his name? Just wanna make sure I'm not making false assumptions about you, you can help me by continuing to keep it totally real and pointing me toward a police report. These things are all on the internet, you know.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 2, 2012 6:31:26 PM

10. Jay, everyone who reads this blog knows that ratbastard is a miserable lying troll. Just ignore him. Everyone else does.

To comment on the post I have to say that it's wonderful that the flag is being flown in Afghanistan. I hope it sends a strong message to the Out soldiers, and the not-yet-Out ones, that their home and their fellow men and woman in arms support and accept them.

Posted by: TommyB | Apr 2, 2012 6:43:10 PM

11. Tony is an unrepentant Racist looking for more fodder. A pal of DAvid Duke, a known Kluxer. Tony was a LA legislator

That info courtesy of someone who was in the LA legislature as a lobbiest

No wonder the SPLCenter calls the FRC a hate group.

Posted by: Billywingartenson | Apr 2, 2012 7:36:31 PM

12. Oh, Miss Tonette! How you do run on, you shameless hussy! Can anyone really take this clown seriously now? She's beyond absurd.

Posted by: Abel | Apr 2, 2012 8:19:02 PM

13. Man alive! or, should i say Humankind alive! For a straight soldier to welcome his fellow soldiers by such a simple yet elegant gesture is astounding. When African-Americans were finally integrated into the US Armed Forces, I hope that many if not all of them witnessed their comrades-in-arms, even if just a few, welcome them as truly and finally equal in their citizenship, their service to their country, and in their humanity. As to what any Afghan observer of the Rainbow Flag being raised above an obviously American Military Base (thus the redundancy of "having to raise" an American Stars & Stripes alongside simultaneously, nit-pickers) those worldly enough in their knowledge for the most part will understand just how far beyond the Bronze Age Americans have evolved. The opportunistic "career driven" ignoramuses of Islam will hate us if the base's McDonalds raises its usual "double rainbow" flag! To ignore the importance of such an historic and memorable-for-the-ages moment caught on film is to have your head so far shoved up your ass that you need mud-grade windshield washers to see straight! USA!

Posted by: Tom Cardellino | Apr 3, 2012 12:25:48 AM

14. People would be better off if they ignored both Kiwi and Ratbastard. They don't care about solutions to problem. They are bomb throwers who want to cause havoc. If we ignore them, we can reach some reasonable compromises.

Posted by: jack | Apr 3, 2012 7:58:38 AM

15. I have one thing in common with Tony Perkins, we have both served in our nation's military. I happen to believe that the death of DADT is a good thing, he doesn't.I have many political positions in common with littlekiwi, but I just don't like him. I can't imagine that anyone does.

Posted by: jack | Apr 3, 2012 8:14:18 AM

16. Ugh, I probably should not get into this but, Little Kiwi has an amazingly large heart from what I have seen and he really does put himself out there, you can watch his youtube videos, read his blog. He certainly gets upset with the trolls here but no one else is REALLY taking them to task and he alone has gotten them to shut up and leave a thread more than once when the message has gone so far in the wrong direction (e.g.: racism, misogyny, homophobia). I would never put him in the same category as Tank, Rick or Ratbastard and some of the other trolls here. It has never been a differing opinion with those trolls, they only have one point of view that they come from - hate for everyone different from them.

As for the story, I find it amazing and wonderful. I thank the troops for their service and think this gesture has HUGE meaning.

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Apr 3, 2012 9:00:15 AM

17. Tony Perkins like Pat Robertson, Rick Santorum, Michael Phelps , Joseph Ratsinger et al know that they are on the losing side of history in the debate about equality for LGBT folks. There is nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come.Who's time has come???? LGBT EQUALITY!!!

Posted by: jack | Apr 3, 2012 10:16:56 AM

18. I just wish that some of the extremists on the left would stop driving the centrists to the right. Wish exremists like Littlekiwi had a clue and wasn't just interested in bomb throwing.

Posted by: jack | Apr 3, 2012 10:50:04 AM