Harvard | News

Harvard Business School Says It Gets Better: VIDEO

Hbs

Out Harvard Business School students and the school's dean join the 'It Gets Better' video.

In response to the lack of women in the video, a commenter on YouTube notes: "There are no out lesbian students at Harvard Business School today. In the past we have´╗┐ had out women on campus but not this year. We are hoping more will apply."

Our tipster tells us there are five out lesbians who have been accepted in the incoming class.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. As a Wharton alum, I say poo on Harvard....you will NEVER get better and we will always own you!

There.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 20, 2012 2:38:38 PM

2. We had out lesbians at HBS twenty years ago, so hard to believe there are none now.

Posted by: Brian | Apr 20, 2012 2:40:04 PM

3. Some of these self-important career-absorbed queens really make me laugh when they portray themselves as being bold and courageous for coming out, because most of them would set off the gaydar of just about anyone with a pulse. I wish we had some guys with more personality and who were just a tad less stereotypical to represent our community. And if they think an advanced degree from Harvard and a lot of money will protect them from the homophobia in society they are wrong. Tank is not being negative here; he's just keeping it real. Yeah, I do shed tears for the misfortune of others, but not aspiring 1%ers!

Posted by: TANK | Apr 20, 2012 2:45:07 PM

4. "And if they think an advanced degree from Harvard and a lot of money will protect them from the homophobia in society they are wrong"

You are right about that.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 20, 2012 2:50:58 PM

5. and angry closet cases coming on here to vent more anonymous misery with fake aliases won't make your own lives better :-)

stop being angry that other people aren't afraid to have everyone know that they're gay. it's not their fault that you don't have the same courage or confidence.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 20, 2012 2:53:22 PM

6. @LITTLEKIWI: Listen, girlfriend, you really do look ridiculous when you chastise others for using anonymous aliases even as you continue to do the same thing! Also, my argument must be logically unassailable because otherwise you'd attack my words instead of my person. I'm not being angry or cowardly; I'm just saying that our community is very diverse in so many ways and in the media we are always portrayed by gay men who fit a certain set of stereotypes. There are lots of flamboyant and over the top gay guys but not all of us are like that... that's all Tank is saying, honey.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 20, 2012 3:06:29 PM

7. Tank and Rick are the same person folks! Speard the word.

Posted by: USC Trojan Fan | Apr 20, 2012 3:21:28 PM

8. Isn't Tank, Jason, Rick, Ratbastard the same poster? Wasn't there recently a huge long winded exchange about that recently? Didnd't they get called out for it?

Bud, the jig is up. You finally got 'outted' for something in your life. Stop having conversations with yourself with various fake handles.

Posted by: IonMovies | Apr 20, 2012 3:23:03 PM

9. Rick/Jason/Tank:

We all know you are the same character. Those of us who have been posting for years on these forums know a thing or two about a serial nut jobs.You can deny it and be up in arms about it all you like (which makes it more obvious) but we've all known you to be a pretty unstable poster. Your alias screenames are equally unstable, and ironically make the same points as all your other unstable screenames. No matter how many new screenames you create on here, when your words don't match logic, we'll call you out as being Rick/Tank/Jason (the same person)

sStop fighting it. Just own up to all the voices in your head that make you do it.

Posted by: Michelle | Apr 20, 2012 3:26:48 PM

10. What does Rick do for a living to literally be spending hours on this website crafting different psuedo personalities, with ignorant rants on here on a daily basis? Who has the time?
    LOL I picture an old, paralyzed, creepy as hell dude with boils sitting behind a computer screen.

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Apr 20, 2012 3:29:36 PM

11. of course it's the same closeted person.

and if he believed half of what he said he'd put a face and name to it, thus living by example.

this is why the "i hate femmes" gays fight a losing battle, with themselves. the people they have disdain for don't hide. and never willl :-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 20, 2012 3:34:43 PM

12. Tank, your arguments are pretty assailable, so I'll give it a whack. The overriding issue with your attack is that it completely misses the mark. The video is a bunch of Harvard students, and the dean of the business school, giving the "it gets better" message, that life as an out gay man gets better, that places like HBS will welcome them with open arms, etc. I think it does as good a job as any of these videos in showing that life does in fact get better, and that there are lots of different paths that will open up to you if you just don't kill yourself.

Since they did a fine job with that message, I guess you figured you had to attack some straw men. In no way do these people come across as self absorbed, self important, etc, but you attack that stereotype anyway. Likewise they don't claim to be bold or courageous, as you say, just that they were scared coming out, and much happier now than when they were kids, which is the whole point of the it gets better program.

Then you just launch a broadside at effeminate men and businesspeople for no particular reason since it has nothing to do with the it gets better video. So you make two criticisms that aren't related to anything about the video, and one criticism that is just made up (that they're arrogant pricks claiming to be heroes for coming out). As I said at the beginning, pretty assailable.

Posted by: Brian | Apr 20, 2012 3:35:31 PM

13. Good video.
    @Tank, Rick you wouldn't have studied in Harvard or Yale etc, if you had a chance? I was lucky to get a good education in an excellent university and there is nothing wrong trying to get to the best schools.

Posted by: Matt26 | Apr 20, 2012 3:35:50 PM

14. Don't forget me! I'm Rick too!

Lol at the bend over and smell your fart liberal fan club. Nothing sweeter!

Posted by: MarkUs | Apr 20, 2012 3:38:45 PM

15. @STEVE-ATL: I don't care if you and those other pathetic middle aged queens believe me or not, but Tank is just Tank! Ratbastard is a self-hating, obnoxious creep with an IQ much much lower than mine. As to Rick and Jason, I don't know who they are or what they say in their posts. I, Tank, work from home, and I am not old and not paralyzed. I'm not creepy, either, but I do get boils from time to time because my diabetes isn't quite under control. If you paranoid bitches took a moment to use logic, you'd ask Andy Towle to look at the IP numbers of Tank and those other weirdos: Tank makes all of his posts from the same old Dell Dimension desktop computer! Why in the heck would I post with different names?!

Posted by: TANK | Apr 20, 2012 3:42:03 PM

16. Steve-ATL: yup!! really makes you wonder. sad & creepy

Posted by: redball | Apr 20, 2012 3:43:05 PM

17. same thing. liberal-hating gay conservatives that can only speak from a place of complete anonymity.

it's why they're so useless: they give excuses for not coming out and being totally visible at the same time that they're complaining that "other gays that are Out" are doing it 'wrong'

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 20, 2012 3:44:13 PM

18. @LITTLEKIWI, you and others of your ilk can be just as intolerant, in your own way, as the homophobes you profess to stand against. I am not against my fellow gay people who are effeminate or over the top; I'm just saying that not all of us fit into those boxes. Don't jump to the conclusion that us he-man, manly type gay guys are self-hating conservatives: I don't hate myself and I'm not conservative. You have a lot of anger that you need to deal with, I think. I am trying to be polite with those here who disagree with me and so I'd like the same courtesy, if possible. You try living in a small town and being from a locally prominent devoutly Catholic conservative family with a long record of military service and family ties to lots of top Republicans, and being out to one's family and close friends, and see what that's like. So don't question my courage and struggle to be pro-gay to the extent that I can be.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 20, 2012 3:57:02 PM

19. How can we be so anonymous little wise one. I recall you were telling me all about my parents because I think Obama is a socialist idiot. Can you have my mom call me? I need a recipe.

Posted by: MarkUs | Apr 20, 2012 3:58:17 PM

20. Most of you gay conservatives have done nothing to make the rest of us on here think anything other than our preconcieved notions of what conservatives are. In fact, of the more conservative leaning gays on here like Markus, Rat Bastard, Rick, Jason....I see more homophobia, ignorant remarks about feminine gays and butch lesbians, bigotry, and siding with religious organizations than I do from the most militant straight republican. YOU guys are supposed to bridge the gap between indepdent/democrat gays and conservative gays? Really? Since my time reading posts by conservative gays on this site, I've not only had every notion about conservatives reaffirmed, but I've realized they are actual more extreme and homophobic than I acknowledged. If GAY conservatives who actually visit gay blogs can be filled with such bigotry, then are you really trying to sell us on the idea that the straight ones are better than you? We're not buying what you're selling kids.

Posted by: Ryan | Apr 20, 2012 3:59:37 PM

21. Wow! that was incredibly well said Ryan. Except you're giving the gay conservative(s) on here too much credit. There's maybe TWO of them, with 30 different screenames. Both making the same point, but due to insecurity, making it under various handles. But you are very right on about how the conservative gays who visit this site have lived up to every negative thought about them.

Posted by: MegaMax | Apr 20, 2012 4:01:47 PM

22. Let's see. The Republican gay members of towleroad often side with the anti gay angle of any story.

They always have some kind of jab, or comment about fem gays to paint them as some kind of social misfits who deserve what they get from a bigoted society.

They are more fixated on pointing out flaws within the gay community, all while exagerating them rather than calling out their own ilk.

They are indifferent toward anti gay prejudice and make it well known...

and then they wonder why more gays don't jump on their emotionally disturbed bandwagon.

I'd rather personally hand deliver my soul to the devil. Quite frankly.

Posted by: USC Trojan Fan | Apr 20, 2012 4:04:52 PM

23. This is very strange indeed.

I didn't believe that TANK and RICK could be the same person because the "orginal" TANK was supposed to be Jewish--and he seemed to know a lot about Jewish culture(s) and Jewish heritage. I remember I once called him a Nazi and he became quite offended. He told me of family members killed in the Holocaust. Of course, one doesn't have to be Jewish to have family members killed by the Nazis.

RATBASTARD seems to be the same poster who used to call himself "JOHN FROM BOSTON" a few years ago. RAT often mentions being a resident of Boston in his postings, and his dislike and fear of Black people is identical to that of his former persona.

Yes, I'm perplexed, and angry at myself for being so...because I shouldn't give a flying f.ck about the real identities of these looney tune right-wing homos on this blog.

Thank God I brought my flask with me to work today.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 20, 2012 4:12:27 PM

24. Tank, your obsession with fem gays isn't something new. You bring it up often, so don't play it off as a passive topic you just brushed up on. It's that fixation that is troublesome, considering it goes deeper than fem gays. It's an unresolved issue you havent addressed within yourself. If you were truly comfortable in your skin, you wouldn't care who was fem or wasn't.

All your posts frankly read bitter, angry and jaded. The truth hurts sometimes, but it's always the truth

Posted by: USC Trojan Fan | Apr 20, 2012 4:13:26 PM

25. No one who is TRULY masculine constantly reffers to themselves as "manly man" or "masculine" or even cares, or even observes others mannersims while comparing it to their own. Only someone who is putting on an ACT goes to those great lengths. What a sorry existence for them too.

Posted by: Brice | Apr 20, 2012 4:14:44 PM