Harvard | News

BigGayDeal.com

Harvard Business School Says It Gets Better: VIDEO

Hbs

Out Harvard Business School students and the school's dean join the 'It Gets Better' video.

In response to the lack of women in the video, a commenter on YouTube notes: "There are no out lesbian students at Harvard Business School today. In the past we have had out women on campus but not this year. We are hoping more will apply."

Our tipster tells us there are five out lesbians who have been accepted in the incoming class.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Hey "Tank" - i have a better idea. Prove what you say is true. After all, my @ss can do it, why not yours?

Share your story. Make a youtube video. An act so easy that even a femme can do it ;-)

But yeah, I call your bluff. I'm calling your bluff on your story and your (HA!) "courage"

so put up, sugar :D

here's an example: http://youtu.be/Ya8-ECHxMPQ

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 20, 2012 4:15:38 PM

2. Tank:

Why do you need other gay men to be showcased then approved by straight society for you to feel validated? You gain your validation in life by what straight people think of you?

Might want to ask yourself why that is.

Posted by: Kevin Landry | Apr 20, 2012 4:16:16 PM

3. Well, all the mindless drones are out in full force to parrot the leftist party line! Your completely farcical arguments only help to illustrate why the left in this country will always be loud, marginalized, and politically impotent. God Bless America! On days like this, Tank wonders if there is even any point in continuing to post here, but I wouldn't want to let down Andy Towle, a great guy with an open mind, or Tank's fans, by leaving this scene entirely. Just remember: groupthink stinks, whether it comes from the Fox News Channel newsreaders or the supposedly progressive, sophisticated, educated queens of limited outlook who throw their purses at anyone here who disagrees with their nonsense! Sorry to be blunt, folks, but Tank has to keep it real!

Posted by: TANK | Apr 20, 2012 4:17:18 PM

4. I agree, Derrick, it's perplexing and annoying to give a sh't at the same time. I am 100 percent sure that Jason and Rick are the same person. My gut feeling is that Ratbastard is actually someone different. And Tank is a complete mystery. He disappears for long periods of time, but seems a completely different, though always disagreeable, person each time he appears. His latest rant came right out of Rick/Jason's playbook but that's not always the case.

And Ryan, your comments on this group, however, they're configured in real life, are spot on.

Posted by: Brian | Apr 20, 2012 4:17:53 PM

5. This belittling of feminine gay men by other gay men is sincerely the most ludicrous thing I've ever witnessed in my life, and whats worse is, from my many years of experience, those who belittle fem gays the most are usually the most fem themselves...yet their ignorance and anger at the world is clouting their judgment.

You are no better, more innovative, or a greater contributor in this world for appearing 'straight' or masculine. If anything, you have it easier in life, and want MORE respect from gays for being masculine (be it inherent or an act)...and what's more, it's not enough that you're masculine (which you need to be pointed out with a disclaimer)...you want the rest of us to alter our mannerism and actions to suit YOUR comfort levels of how the world views us. Some serious nerve. And arrogance. But what do you expect from a crowd that more often than not calls themselves "straight acting"

Posted by: IonMovies | Apr 20, 2012 4:21:22 PM

6. Why does this Tank clown call himself in third person, and recall his "fans"

Does this site get advertised on some insane assylum? Seriously.

Posted by: Anderson | Apr 20, 2012 4:23:29 PM

7. as annoying as the anonymous-trolls are, i suppose we can all take a form of solace knowing that their misery and self-loathing will die with them in their closets.

but for the troll and his many times, i do offer this:

my parent's advice to you could actually help you finally standing up to your own conservative communities.

you can either become proactive and make your life better, or continue doing as you're doing - hating liberals and "femmes" anonymously, all because nobody in your life actually accepts you as a gay man. at some point, you need to be an adult and grow a spine.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 20, 2012 4:25:05 PM

8. Nope, nothing real-er than referring to your fake fake-self in the 3rd person. Goodness, a band of troll mothers must have banded their retirement funds together to restore Internet to the walk-in basement closets where their middle-aged "single" "bachelor" sons reside. Either that or it's just 4/20 . . . and things get giggly on that day.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 20, 2012 4:40:03 PM

9. 1. I'm from Ontario - not American - so I don't care.
    2. Obama is a piece of $h!t.
    3. Bush was a bigger piece of $h!t.

All I know is, people who think that everyone who disagrees with them must all be the same poster simply because no one could ever disagree with them are probably the biggest pieces of $h!t. I mean, seriously - you can't have gay republicans? There are reasons to dislike Obama. His foreign policy sucks as I have pointed out before. There's lots of reasons to dislike Romney - he's so inconsistent no one knows what he believes.

I don't link my name to a website because I don't want to be stalked and I don't have a blog. Do you really think I need to start a blog and post all my info online just so that you know that I'm not someone else? That's insane!

What if I say that Rick is really LittleKiwi. Can you prove he isn't? Just because Kiwi has a blog (nice blog btw) doesn't mean that he isn't posting as Rick, either.

Such is the nature of the internet. Let's just put ideas out there and not worry who the people are.

Posted by: Jon | Apr 20, 2012 4:40:46 PM

10. @IONMOVIES, you must be new to this forum, since you seem like a thoughtful and intelligent person. You are right, those of us who are gay and who can "pass" as straight have it a lot easier in many ways. I would never ague that all gay guys have to try to "look straight" or "act straight" to win the approval of straight society at large or for any other reason. The point I just try to make here often, and to no avail, is that not all of us are flamboyant and fabulous. Not all of us live in cosmopolitan big cities or adore Bette Midler or dress stylishly. It makes me sad to see that so many people in our community claim to be about diversity and tolerance, yet they are very intolerant of those among us who do not hew to their party line. Tank has dated mostly conflicted "straight" guys all his life because so many "out" gay guys don't like gay guys like Tank, and that is really a shame. Some of us not only get rejected by society at large but in the places we'd think we'd feel welcomed. My hope is that our community can one day be more accepting of the many types of diversity among us. I know some catty queens here won't pay attention to anything I say but I know that there are some thoughtful people who will listen to me and for that I'm grateful.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 20, 2012 4:46:36 PM

11. If you really think Jason and I are the same person (or Tank or anybody else you don't like or agree with), then, as Tank said, ask the proprietor of the website who has access to the IP addresses that all these posts are coming from. Go ahead. Do it.

None of us are the same person--well, at least I know I am not any of those other people......and it is hilarious to see the terror it strikes into the hearts of so many of you to find out that your gay orthodoxy is regarded as completely illegitimate by many, probably most gay and bi people in the country (most of whom will not come to this site because of the herd mentality).

But each and every one of you knows perfectly well from daily experience that effeminate men are not respected in the larger society and never will be. You can come hear and pretend that it isn't so or that one day that will change--and comfort each other in that thought, but it won't--and deep down, you know it won't, just as you know that such behavior is cultural artifice and a reflection of the low self-esteem of those who engage in it.

And Brian, no amount of education will protect effeminate men from the thrashing they are going to get in the business world, Harvard or Wharton MBA or not. In fact, even if you are not effeminate and are only thought to be gay, it can and will be used against you. That is just the reality of the situation.

So you can all go on playing games with yourselves or you can learn to be men, but be assured that only by doing the latter will you ever be a fully respected member of society.

P.S. Matt, Wharton is the highest-ranked MBA program in the world and has been for decades, higher than Harvard, much less Yale, although those two schools are ranked higher at the undergraduate level. Just an FYI.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 20, 2012 5:06:54 PM

12. Rick,

Thanks for the career advice, but I've been an out gay managing director on Wall Street for over a decade, and no thrashing or negative consequences of any kind. I mean no negative consequences from being gay, not from being in finance, which is a whole other story.

And the Wharton insecurity thing is endearing.

Posted by: Brian | Apr 20, 2012 5:19:59 PM

13. About Tank, et al,

I think it is very sad that ANY gay man feels the need to critcize the manner or mannerisms of any other gay man. I would have thought that we at least would be beyond judging people that way.

The idea that some of these men are so fem that coming out was somehow not a courageous act -- well sorry, but that is just assinine.

That you find the alleged effeminateness of some of the men on the video even worth commenting on, well, that says something very significant -- and not good -- about you.

Have you no compassion? What grudge are you trying to work out? Because you seem really angry.

Posted by: Cubs Fan in DC | Apr 20, 2012 5:29:50 PM

14. So Rick, I personally don't think that and don't care if you are someone else on here too. But this doesn't really fly with me. Up here in Canada its only the odd person that has a vocal problem with effeminate men - I don't know what people think but they don't often express opposition. You seem to accept that gender is a role, since you say things like being a man is learned. So why can't society's definition of what is manly change? It used to be manly to rape during war, for example. That is what was expected. No one expects that now. So the gender role that is learned can, it seems, shift.

Posted by: Jon | Apr 20, 2012 5:41:56 PM

15. @Brian No insecurity--I was simply responding to a question asked of me by Matt about why I would have preferred Wharton to Harvard or Yale. And my initial comment in the thread was obviously intended to be humorous, so I hope that is what you mean by "endearing".

Anyway, I don't know you or your circumstances--I do know that some Wall Street banks have made a point out of having gay recruitment programs, as have some of the spiffier law firms in New York--and you apparently work in one of those--but those are exceptions to the general rule, which is that the corporate world remains very, very homophobic and people will use anything to get a leg up on someone they are competing with--which includes spreading rumors about someone else's sexual orientation.

Good for you that you are in one of the few environments in Corporate America where--at least to an extent, that is not the case, but it is not typical by any means.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 20, 2012 5:43:40 PM

16. @JON Very few people are going to actually harrass an effeminate man--the more typical reaction is just to laugh at him behind his back.....but I have never seen or heard of any effeminate gay man being in a position of power or respect in society, outside of the most stereotypical of roles--fashion designers, etc.

I have not said that being a man is "learned". Masculinity comes naturally to the vast majority of men--it is programmed by nature, by hormones, by genetics--and one sees this in every other species, as well--in all the higher primates, in all mammals, across the board.

When I said effeminate men need to "learn" to be men, what I meant was they need to "unlearn" the artificial behavior that their effeminacy consists of. Referring to other men in the female vernacular, walking and talking in a way that is designed to imitate women, and, of course, the physical cowardice that is perhaps its most salient characteristic. And overarching all this is the psychological tendency to live vicariously through women and idolize them, in exclusion to men.

None of that is natural or good, no matter how hard some of you try to strain.

Finally, I have to point out the constant contradictions that some of you engage in. If there is no "opposition" to effeminate men, to use your term, then why is their bullying and why is there a need to make such an issue out of it?

If gender is a "construct", as you are implying, then why do you have an emotional and sexual preference for one gender overe the other (which is how almost all of us would define being gay)?

You see, you simply cannot have your cake and eat it, too--and when you combine that with the fact that almost no gay men themselves find effeminate behavior attractive, the absurdity of some of the efforts to defend it is just mind-boggling.

I really think it is just about fear: most gay men are simply afraid that they cannot meet the masculine standards that straight men do and that comes from having been told that they can't their entire lives......so instead of facing that fear head-on, many persist in this futile attempt to denigrate masculinity, itself, which is doomed to failure.....

Posted by: Rick | Apr 20, 2012 6:05:42 PM

17. Well, it seems like you're saying that masculinity is natural and has roots in biology and femininity is artificial and learned. So when males emulate females they need to "unlearn" the artifice. But certainly femininity is as natural and biologically based in straight females. Hormones and genetics govern the expressions of femininity in females.

Like that study with primates where the male monkeys had a choice of toys and preferred toys with moving parts and tools, whereas female monkeys preferred dolls and toys that allowed them to express their nurturing instincts.

But you are ignoring a lot of evidence that gay males are biologically similar to women as far as brain chemistry and anatomy goes. The corpus colossum and hypothalamus are very similar. So you seem to be assuming that gay males are not naturally expressing themselves and that it is artifice. But gay males with effeminate traits might have artificially changed their behavior to be more masculine, too. I had a lisp when I was a kid and my dad wasn't having any of that. But it was artifice, not nature, that compelled me to change.

You're wrong to assume all this I think. I think there can be biologically-based causes (hormone levels, brain chemistry, etc.)for effeminate behavior. Artifice has nothing to do with it.

Posted by: Jon | Apr 20, 2012 6:53:32 PM

18. I'll just add this then go away. I don't know who is who on here, I used to read this website somewhat regularly and even from time to time post a comment. But I quit visiting and commenting.

It is all so negative over here. What really upset me were nasty comments on those beautiful wedding videos. Who says such a thing? You know the people who got their video posted are going to read the comments, and some people for some unknown reason, make a nasty comment about the really nice people in the wedding videos. I haven't visited this website in over a week, I enjoyed the Harvard students video, I scroll down to comments and what do I see?

Do you know that you are pushing people away from visiting here when you make mean comments on material where there is no reason at all to make mean comments? These young men are going to read those mean comments and their mothers and fathers and family and friends also.

I think the owners of this website are wrong to leave lashing out comments stand, they should remove them. It is because of these comments and so many others like it, that I no longer visit this website very often. I read enough horrible comments on the H8ters side, I don't need to read it on our side as well. And for no reason! There is no reason at all to make a nasty comment about this article and video. I don't think the website owners really appreciate how much this drives people AWAY from their website.

Posted by: StraightGrandmother | Apr 20, 2012 7:05:32 PM

19. I'm with you, StraightGrandmother. I've requested time and again that the owners of this blog institute a more sophisticated commenting system that would allow readers to rate and/or flag comments. Unfortunately, they have yet to implement any such improvements. I suspect it is because they think that the nasty comments increase the number of page views, which means more advertising dollars. However, as you astutely point out, it's possible that they are losing readers – and therefore page views – by allowing this nonsense to continue.

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Apr 20, 2012 7:17:16 PM

20. I think you have to accept that that is the nature of the internet and speech in general. I remember those comments about the wedding vids and didn't agree with the comments, but a flagging system just means that everyone who thinks differently gets voted down and their comments disappear. And that means every day people will be complaining because others will abuse that.

I am practically a socialist and I know that my criticisms of Obama and Harper (Canadian politician) would just get flamed. So then you'd come to a boring noncontroversial website where everyone thought the same thing. Isn't the internet for dialogue? Why have a comments section at all if you are only going to allow one type of view? It doesn't make sense to me.

Posted by: Jon | Apr 20, 2012 7:29:45 PM

21. I seriously think Andy the owner of this site needs to consider banning Rick. His endless rants, filled with homophobia targetting our feminine gay brothers (who I will fight till the death defending!! seeing the prejudice they already deal with) has gone overboard and needs to end. Andy is doing a great disservice to many gays, many vulnerable gays at that, by allowing clinically insane people like Rick get away with such ignorant garbage spewed. Andy has in the past banned racist commentators, and I feel there should be no exception made toward trolls who target our fem gay brothers.

Posted by: Jackson | Apr 20, 2012 7:38:04 PM

22. Who cares if you're masculine? I'd be considered "masculine" but other than the relevance of mentioning it here, I'd NEVER go around saying "I'm masculine! I'm butch!" because no truly masculine man would ever say that, much less devote time thinking about it, much less bash fem dudes. Only some insecure, wack cat who isn't comfortable in his skin has to put other people down, especially fellow gays, to feel good about himself...and for what? walking butch? Wow. Huge accomplishment. You deserve a Noble Peace prize.

Guys, take it from a guy who is considered masculine but hardly proud of it or brings attention to it; when you meet a gay guy who boasts about his masculinity, he's got a complex. And is a walking red flag. Keep your distance and let him sort out his mess.

Posted by: Real Talk | Apr 20, 2012 7:41:00 PM

23. I genuinly wish instead of our fem gay teens taking their own lives, Rick would commit suicide. He is truly the most disturbed individual on the internet. Rick, people like you don't really contribute much in this world. Hope you get cancer and die, because truly, your words are cancer. Wishing nothing but the worst for you, you looney monster.

Posted by: Tile | Apr 20, 2012 7:43:35 PM

24. Jon - I agree with you that a simple flagging system would be homogenizing and boring. However, there are a lot of sophisticated systems out there now for comment boards (See Wonkette.com's or Salon.com's systems for example). Implementing this technology can allow for heated discussion while also cutting down on trolling comments that are merely meant to incite and get attention rather than to debate and discuss.

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Apr 20, 2012 7:45:15 PM

25. Closeted men become obsessed by masculinity since from the lens of the closet they can't focus on civil rights because the closeted have no use for civil rights--you can't fight for or take advantage of progress on gay rights when you're invisible. So the closeted, particularly as they creep alone into late middle-age, feel threatened as they are left behind by those who live open, honest lives and have families and are embraced by their communities. Gay rights progress and people standing up for gay rights only highlight for the closeted all the things they will never have access to, so their only option is to cling to some imagined 1950s vision of what it meant to be gay: A 2-dimensional butch guy in a yellowed beefcake magazine. What a life.

It's possible to have political disagreements here and actually have a real discussion, but it's impossible to have a real discussion with those who are deeply entrenched in the closet and mindlessly repeat the same non-arguments over and over or, obviously, with those who create silly multiple personas and refer to themselves in the 3rd person and speak of nonexistent "fans." Lady Gaga and Ben Cohen have fans--trolls have imaginary friends.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 20, 2012 8:14:33 PM