2012 Election | Hilary Rosen | Mitt Romney | News

BigGayDeal.com

Hilary Rosen Apologizes To Ann Romney

HRosenRomney

Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen today apologized for saying on Anderson Cooper 360 that Ann Romney, wife of presidential candidate Mitt, was not a good source of economic policy because has "never worked a day in her life."

Here's what Rosen said in her statement of contrition.

Let’s put the faux ‘war against stay at home moms’ to rest once and for all. As a mom, I know that raising children is the hardest job there is. As a pundit, I know my words on CNN last night were poorly chosen. In response to Mitt Romney on the campaign trail referring to his wife as a better person to answer questions about women than he is, I was discussing his poor record on the plight of women’s financial struggles …

As a partner in a firm full of women who work outside of the home as well as stay-at-home mothers, all with plenty of children, gender equality is not a talking point for me. It is an issue I live every day. I apologize to Ann Romney and anyone else who was offended. Let’s declare peace in this phony war and go back to focus on the substance.

The remark sparked an immediate firestorm, inspired Mrs. Romney to join Twitter and has the Democratic National Committee doing all it can to distance itself from Rosen.

Don't worry, though, Rosen; some other mini-scandal will come along and this will become a thing of the past. Or maybe people will just realize it was an off-the-cuff remark that doesn't deserve this level of outrage.

Comments

1. @TJ,

Pathetic response. And bandaids aren't actually my color either. I owe nobody nothing simply because of their skin color or ethnicity. Nothing. I do not come form a privileged background. And the endless whining is child-like. Case closed.

======================

@Ernie,

This manufactured incident is all about the female vote, especially the soccer mom vote. Case closed.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 12, 2012 5:05:52 PM

2. It's not just that this manufactured incident is all about the female vote--this entire election is all about the female vote too.

Hillary Rosen walked into a pile of dog doo and played right into the Republican response to Democratic accusations of the War on Women. They've been waiting for the right moment to say to their base, "We're not waging a war on women--THEY are!"

Hillary Rosen should be smarter than that. She should know that you NEVER attack stay-at-home mom'ism. As a 21st-century feminist, she should know that.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Apr 12, 2012 5:29:24 PM

3. @tj. i get the idea of white privilege but band-aids? that's the example you want to give? i think you can do better than that. band-aids are about market size and capitalism.

@jeffnyc. yup she stepped in it. she has a good point but presented it horribly and ham-handedly. while giving the regressives counter-amunition.

irony is that she's a mom of two adopted kids.

and so another escalation in the rhetoric of the culture wars. the right will advance the agit-prop that dems are homosexual haters of the family and stay-at-home moms, etc

Posted by: gomez | Apr 12, 2012 5:54:54 PM

4. So now we find out that Elizabeth and Hillart had TWO nannies for the twins (the were busy after all!) while Ann had no nannies for 5 boys....oh vey!

Posted by: Marcus | Apr 12, 2012 6:21:38 PM

5. I think I saw Hillary Rosen in the Before After Stonewall Documentaries made some years back...she was great!
    Let' give her a break because this election will be ugly enough.

Posted by: SOLUS | Apr 12, 2012 6:23:12 PM

6. GOMEZ: That was just one example from "White Privilege: Unpacking The Invisible Backpack" by McIntosh. I've posted he link below. She lists 25 other points to ponder, of things white people generally get to take for granted. I listed it because it was an example of a little, everyday thing.

And RAT, I don't ever expect to convince you of anything. If I did, that would make me truly pathetic.

Posted by: TJ | Apr 12, 2012 6:43:23 PM

7. Glad she apologized. President Obama is not responsible for every word uttered by every prominent member of the Democratic party, and I can't see how this one comment should be the basis for anyone's vote. But it does reveal that liberals still have a problem with disrespecting homemakers. They don't intend to be insulting. The problem is that a lot of them just truly believe that homemakers are wasting their time and "not doing anything" by being at home with children. Hillary Clinton's baking cookies remark and Teresa Heinz Kerry's comment about Laura Bush not ever having "a real job" were in this vein. Homemaking is not for every women,true. But it's insulting and downright stupid to believe that homemakers are watching soap operas all day or playing tennis instead of doing real work. Yes, money helps when raising kids. But that's true whether a mom works outside the home or only inside the home. And it was presumptuous to assume that Mrs. Romney hired nannies. Maybe the people who assume this are projecting their own belief that raising kids is so onerous that any woman who could would pay someone else to do it for her.

Episodes like this are exactly what the Democratic party needs to avoid - as I've been saying here for a number of months.

Posted by: Mary | Apr 12, 2012 6:52:12 PM

8. ratbastard, you dirty racist.

and no that bottom pic symbolizes so, so much more than "just" bondage. it's the many other things than anyone--you too, racists!--can learn at your local college's African-American history department: ownership of blacks, routine ripping-apart of black families, sexual violence, community- and state-sponsored murder & maiming like lynching for starters, etc.) & *everything* else that's followed.

Posted by: increasingly convinced that racism will diminish but never disappear | Apr 12, 2012 7:50:21 PM

9. We all know that raising kids is one of the toughtet jobs. Especially if you are a single mom. (GOP taking those services to help poor away in budget) But please, Mrs. Romney raised those kids wiith maids, chefs, nannies, personal assistants, elevators for the cars and the average stay at home mom does not have those conveniences to make her life easier. Mrs. Romney is NOT the person to speak for workint mothers or stay at home moms.

Posted by: George | Apr 12, 2012 8:12:05 PM

10. @Rat: You misunderstood my comment, so, yes, case closed since your response didn't make sense. Obama has the soccer Moms, he has women. No brainer. This incident, as you call it, isn't necessary for the Dem's. In fact it was foolish for the reasons Sara said. The Repub's are now manufacturing outrage over it, scoring temporary points by once again playing the victim.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 12, 2012 8:33:26 PM

11. whatever... I love being white and privledged.

Posted by: HA! | Apr 12, 2012 9:21:05 PM

12. Please CUT THE CRAP. Everybody on this planet has been a 'victim' at one point or another. My ancestors were victims of the Vikings who left their DNA in me probably by raping one of my distant ancestors. Then their land was stolen. Then many were forced into slavery and indentured servants, and were punished with death if they spoke their native language. So please lay the F off me. We're living in the 21st century, not the 19th, 18th, etc. Time to grow up. Now today we have not only African Americans but 'Hispanics' considered oppressed victims and minorities in the U.S. Imagine that, some of the ancestors of the Spanish conquistadors are considered oppressed and entitled to reverse discrimination [Affirmative Action]! But my ancestors who never oppressed anyone, never invaded and took over others lands like [for example] the Spanish, Portuguese, English, never started any world wars, etc., are considered by some morons to be 'privileged' simply because they're pale skin and northern European! Seriously, a few of you posters can go F yourself, you need to. But you'll have to take your head out of your a** first.

=================

Today's History Lesson:

Who was the first registered slave owner in the U.S. / English North American Colonies? A BLACK MAN named Antonio [Anthony] Johnson from Angola/Africa.

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Johnson_(colonist)]

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 12, 2012 10:23:30 PM

13. @tj,

Take your PATHETIC bourgeois 'white guilt' and stick where the sun don't shine.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 12, 2012 10:39:20 PM

14. RAT - No, but thanks just the same for you kind suggestion.

Bourgeois white guilt? That presumes a lot. Like that I didn't grow up poor. Like that I haven't had to earn everything I have. Like I haven't lost opportunities because of Affirmative Action, and quotas. Like at one point, I wasn't a registered Republican.

But then I got an education. I challenged my beliefs. It didn't come easily. But I'm glad I went through that struggle.

Posted by: TJ | Apr 12, 2012 11:11:40 PM

15. Like I said TJ, pathetic bourgeois white guilt. I guess I'm not bougie enough to fall for it. You have a right to sacrifice yourself and to feel guilty about things you had nothing to do with, just don't FORCE your bourgeois white guilt onto others, especially with discriminatory laws. There, people like you cross the line.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 12, 2012 11:19:10 PM

16. I want to steer clear of the politics surrounding the statement. However, it has certainly unleashed the age old mommy war of whose job is the hardest. It's the working moms versus the stay at home moms. I think we need to change our thinking a bit in regard to this debate. It’s a classist problem. What do I mean by this? I go into detail here: http://www.themommypsychologist.com/2012/04/12/mommy-wars-whose-job-is-more-difficult/

Feel free to check it out if interested.

Posted by: The Mommy Psychologist | Apr 13, 2012 12:47:32 AM

17. Hilary Rosen does NOT need to apologize. Sick of all the PC crap. Wolf Blitzer is an a-hole for pushing her so hard just to make "news" out of something that has little importance.

Posted by: Joe De Hoyos | Apr 13, 2012 3:17:20 AM

18. Just so women know:

When your husband tells you, a stay-at-home mom, you have a harder job than he does, he doesn't believe it. He also thinks your job is so much easier than the female co-worker who has to work and raise children.

He is just trying to get laid.

Posted by: Gus | Apr 13, 2012 5:56:34 AM

19. Hilary has nothing to apologize for. And her bosses should get a clue and realize that. She made one pointed comment to Ann Romney, and now she is being demonized? Please Ann has four maids who raised her kids and she comes from extreme privilege. No-one likes to here the rich whine about 'how hard they have it'. No-one except for Tyler.

Posted by: Gandalf The Grey | Apr 13, 2012 6:01:27 AM