Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | News

I'm Christian, Unless You're Gay: a Teen's Response

A teen writes:

TeenI am gay and only my one friend knows so far. My mom doesn’t know yet. My dad doesn’t know yet. You didn’t know it when you gave us this homework. I am only 15 years old and I have never felt so alone. My mom and dad always are being angry about gay people and talking about how they are bad and going to hell and they also always talk about how all the gays should be shipped off to their own private island or something so that the rest of us could live God’s commandments in peace.

I have been so scared of them finding out that I’m gay because I know that they would hate me and would want me out of their life and at the same time I can’t keep this secret anymore because it is not something I asked for, never in a million years would I ask to be gay in a town like this where everybody would hate me. And anyways I can’t keep this secret anymore because I’m about to do something crazy like run away or hurt myself or something. I just want to be dead sometimes.

And then you gave us the assignment to write this essay for our homework and I read it like ten times I even skipped lunch and just kept reading it in the bathroom and by the time I went home I decided that maybe I am only 15 years old but maybe this town will change if I can be honest about who I am and maybe my family will change if I can be honest about who I am with them too.

And that's the beginning of a letter that changed a Christian family's life. The must-read post here.

Comments

1. I read this the other day; very glad to see it posted here. It truly is a must-read.

Posted by: TJ | Apr 4, 2012 11:05:55 PM

2. And I hate the new screening prompts. Very hard to read. I went through 3 rounds.

Posted by: TJ | Apr 4, 2012 11:07:33 PM

3. I know from experience how scary it can be when it comes to telling your parents that your gay. When I came out to my parents 18 years ago my dad was okay with me being gay but my mother didn't take it to well. My mom eventually came around but it took time and patience on both of our parts. After I came out as gay to myself and accepted the fact that I was gay things started getting better for me.

Posted by: Richard Speck | Apr 18, 2012 10:46:43 PM

4. How Christian believers demonize any person who doesn't give credence to the bible is something that can not be overlooked or attributed to misunderstandings. It has happened for much more time than it has not (See christian crimes against individuals). If you explore those "purification" approaches, you will get an idea of how man-made information digested as supernatural can be comfortably misinterpreted by anyone for any motive. Nations and people.

Posted by: JohnDoh | May 16, 2012 10:06:51 PM

5. Jesus, kid - don't you know being gay and white is worse than being straight and black in America? "Homos must die" is sanctioned twice in the Bible, Leviticus in the Old Testament and Romans in the New, while being black ("and their skin turned dark because of their sins") is mentioned only once in Genesis (the curse of Ham) and which is currently under debate regarding translation accuracy. You must get in touch with Human Rights right away and seek asylum!

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Aug 8, 2012 7:41:59 AM

6. Hi bro! Well I read it and I thought that I'm living something similar... I'm gay too, and I'm christian, I go to the church, I sing at the church just for God, my parents know that I'm gay and they don't matter, they still love me, they see that I have no problem with the church, they've seem that I've changed a lot of things in my life, but I'm not changing who I am, I'm proud of who I am, and I'm proud of having God in my heart... Even if some people says that I'm wrong, or that I'm a freak, it doesn't matter to me, 'cause God made me, He loves me the way I am, and he will never hate me of loving who I am... Blessings, bro! ;)

Posted by: Fer D. | Feb 10, 2013 2:57:45 AM