Film | News | Transportation

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Fear and Fantasy on the Workday Commute: VIDEO

Exit

Last Exit, a short film by Siar Sedig.

Those of you who commute every day to work on public transportation, can you relate?

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Exit2

Comments

1. That's totally me.

I felt the narration was unnecessary, though.

Posted by: Joe | Apr 25, 2012 12:09:26 PM

2. I agree. The narration sorta knocked me over the head with the message. Let it speak for itself.

Posted by: Mike M. | Apr 25, 2012 12:12:15 PM

3. They should have left the original Dutch voiceover and had English subtitles instead. But boy do I know that feeling of being mesmerized by cuties on the subway!

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Apr 25, 2012 12:12:42 PM

4. So there went 11 minutes of my life.

Posted by: AJ | Apr 25, 2012 12:18:38 PM

5. Umm, is this about being shy, or about gender identity questioning? Visually beautiful, but very 80s.

Posted by: benjamin | Apr 25, 2012 12:23:58 PM

6. The object of attraction is Raynor Arkenbout, who played Edwin Bouwhuis, the hot boyfriend of Lucas Sanders in the Dutch Soap "Goede Tijden, Slechte Tijden"... Lekker!

Posted by: Richard | Apr 25, 2012 12:31:03 PM

7. Yeah, that pretty much sums up my bus rides. I however, don't go chasing after the guy. Also the hardest part about bus rides is seeing straight couples. If I see a gay couple, I can at least feel solidarity with them. But nothing makes me more lonely than watching a happy straight couple in absolute love.

Posted by: adam | Apr 25, 2012 12:31:06 PM

8. "Hi, I'm Leonard, I can be a strong confident woman if you'll let me".

Posted by: Marlee | Apr 25, 2012 12:34:01 PM

9. God damn. You JUST saw a cute guy on the train... MADLY IN LOVE? Such hyperbolic crap.

Posted by: Fenrox | Apr 25, 2012 12:41:46 PM

10. That is one beautiful, spacious, uncrowded subway train. Certainly not the cattle cars I have to take. I love all the double seats, not the benches they have in my city where everybody must sit facing each other. The trains get so crowded here that they run cars with no seats [everyone standing up] to squeeze more people on.

No, I don't relate ti this video.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 25, 2012 12:43:43 PM

11. @Adam: When I see two straight people in love, I don't see straight. I see in love. The sentiment is the same, straight or gay. And nothing makes me feel more connected the the humanity of the people I'm commuting with than watching two of them express deep, mutual affection. :D

Posted by: William | Apr 25, 2012 12:44:35 PM

12. It's called LUST*DESIRE*ATTRACTION and it's HOT!

Posted by: SFshawn | Apr 25, 2012 12:45:31 PM

13. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: melvin | Apr 25, 2012 12:52:51 PM

14. Stalker.

Posted by: Insensitivefools | Apr 25, 2012 1:49:41 PM

15. @fenrox .."God damn. You JUST saw a cute guy on the train... MADLY IN LOVE? Such hyperbolic crap"....i have to say some people find it just like that !!!

i like it !!! the boys are cute the music is nice and the story seems real... i can relate yep ...sometimes i can't get myself to say hi ...... i will listen to music like that on my ipod on my way back home today and i hope i fall in love

be happy people ...and if you dont got anything nice to say ... buy some bubble gum and chew !!!!

Posted by: xael | Apr 25, 2012 1:53:25 PM

16. I think I get the point this film is trying to make, but I think there is a fundamental flaw at its heart: women are not automatically safe approaching random strangers.

This reminds me of the story I read from a teacher that related how a young man in his class told in class how creeped out he felt when approached by a guy, I think it was a bus. The teacher explained that the student felt that way because for the first time he was an object of sexual desire, desired by someone that might have had more power than him. The teacher went on to explain that this is what women face all the time: any man can be a potential friend, or a potential attacker. The teacher said that as soon as he/she said that, all of the females in the room started shaking their heads, and all of the males looked stunned: they had no idea.

Of course, the reality is that all of us, everyone, even straight males, may be attacked at any time. Safety is a myth.

Posted by: Eric | Apr 25, 2012 1:56:38 PM

17. Um, he already yelled "hey!" to the guy and had his, obviously non-threatening, attention--THAT's the hard part in a scenario like this! He couldn't just say his name and ask if the hottie wanted to get coffee or a drink? Meh, maybe it's a Dutch cultural thing, but to me it makes no sense; can't suspend my disbelief for this one.

Posted by: jim | Apr 25, 2012 1:59:10 PM

18. I meant nodding their heads, not shaking. :-(

Posted by: Eric | Apr 25, 2012 2:24:27 PM

19. Being mentally mature is hard for everyone. For many LGTB is harder, as the space for fantasy forcibly has to widen given the “always the minority” fact.
    Making a stranger the deposit of wild and capricious fantasies born from unfulfilled desires is bad enough. Dreaming that one should destroy or change oneself to grasp those unreal fantasies is even worse.
    People are people, defects and virtues included, no blank drawing boards for our desires. Accept yourself first and maybe someone will accept you as you are.

Posted by: SayTheTruth | Apr 25, 2012 2:31:41 PM

20. it's okay to ogle attractive people on the transit. if they ogle back, it's a sign they might be interested too. sometimes holding the gaze of a sexy stranger is the hottest thing in the world!

Posted by: Johnn | Apr 25, 2012 2:58:19 PM

21. I second what AJ said above.

Posted by: B-rod | Apr 25, 2012 3:06:23 PM

22. Hope can be dangerous. The narrator in english really destroyed the atmosphere of the movie. The actoe , the beared one, is a famous soap actor. He plays a gay character. Nope, he is not gay.

Posted by: Joe | Apr 25, 2012 3:29:40 PM

23. Leonard fantasizes about being a strong, confident woman??? Gay friendly???

What a load of crap.

Posted by: Eric Payne | Apr 25, 2012 3:33:48 PM

24. Ok. This guy is such a coward he makes himself completely unattractive. He is so fearful that even in his FANTASIES he is afraid to be gay so he imagines himself a woman. Dude, it's a fantasy in your own head.....you can at least be gay there, can't you? Heck, you can even imagine you are doing more with the cute boy than flirting and hugging...you can allow yourself a sex fantasy...no one will know!
    But instead, you dream that you are a woman so you don't have to deal with being gay even in your dreams.
    And when you meet the guy you don't even have the cujones to say "You forgot your scarf. I'm _____. What's your name? You have a great smile."
    Epic fail.
    Even if the cute stranger is gay, he would be turned off by your utter lack of a spine.

Posted by: Insensitivefools | Apr 25, 2012 3:59:25 PM

25. Oh, and try starting with "I'd like to go on a date with you" "rather than "I'm in love with you" when approaching someone you've never even met. It will work better for both of you.

Posted by: Insensitivefools | Apr 25, 2012 4:03:52 PM