Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Joel Osteen | News

BigGayDeal.com

Joel Osteen: Being Gay is a Sin, But I'm Not a Gay Basher - VIDEO

Osteen

Megapastor Joel Osteen told FOX News' Chris Wallace on Sunday that he believes being gay is a sin but that he isn't a gay basher:

"I believe the Scripture says that being gay is a sin. But, you know, every time I say that, Chris, I get people say, well, you are a gay hater and you're a gay basher. I'm not. I don't -- I don't dislike anybody. Gays are some of the nicest, kindest, most loving people in the world. But my faith is based on what I believe the Scripture says and that's the way I read the Scripture. I think we should discriminate against anybody. So, I think -- yes, I don't think there is an issue where somebody couldn't go visit a gay loved one in the hospital. I don't think that's right. They love each other. "So, I think there should be some. I'm not for gay marriage, but I'm not for discriminating against people.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. You're an enabler for bashers, Mr. Osteen.

Posted by: David T | Apr 30, 2012 8:06:10 AM

2. "I'm not for gay marriage, but I'm not for discriminating against people." So he is in favor of getting rid of straight marriage, too? Lordy, he's willing to destroy all marriages just to keep loving gay couples from marrying. He's a liar and a bigot.

Posted by: kit | Apr 30, 2012 8:06:34 AM

3. Stop bashing Osteen. He is NOT an enabler. Just because someone disagrees with being gay doesn't mean is against us. PLEEEAAASSEE.

Posted by: Paul | Apr 30, 2012 8:13:27 AM

4. spoken from a man in a $1500 suit, and a $200 necktie, and 10k worth of teeth veneers. Jesus wore rags and washed the feet of sinners

Posted by: stevenelliot | Apr 30, 2012 8:13:40 AM

5. funny how in one breath he says being gay is a sin and in the next that "they love each other."

wonder how he reconciles calling love a sin.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Apr 30, 2012 8:21:28 AM

6. He's the very nicest jackass you could hope for.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 30, 2012 8:22:17 AM

7. Paul do you really think "clergy" who say such things doesn't enable gay bashing?

what universe do YOU live in?

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Apr 30, 2012 8:22:30 AM

8. First and foremost, who cares. He believes in Scriptures, which means he believes in stoning to death women who are not virgins on their wedding days. He believes that Red Lobster restuarants are houses of sin. He believes in animal sacrifices. He believes that children who curse their parents should be killed. He doesn't believe that women should speak in church.

What? What you say, he doesn't believe any of that? But...but...but it's Scripture!

Joel Olsteen's not a hater...he just plays one on TV.

Posted by: Bart | Apr 30, 2012 8:24:44 AM

9. He's not a gay basher. He's a gay hater. He hates himself.

Posted by: David | Apr 30, 2012 8:25:02 AM

10. He's straight?

Posted by: Alan | Apr 30, 2012 8:27:08 AM

11. Right on the mark, StevenElliot: This is a wolf in mighty expensive sheep's clothing--one of the many Jesus warned about who would "come in my name."

I imagine he likes being a power-guy since he dresses so much like one.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Apr 30, 2012 8:27:54 AM

12. @Paul...... No one can disagree with "being" gay. Gay isn't a choice. He could disagree with a gay person being sexually active. But, he can't disagree with them "being" gay.

Posted by: Tim NC | Apr 30, 2012 8:29:59 AM

13. Being filthy rich is a sin and making money off of the word of god is a sin.

Posted by: Michael | Apr 30, 2012 8:36:53 AM

14. His necktie is a sin (but I'm not a fahionista).

Posted by: Oliver | Apr 30, 2012 8:41:59 AM

15. "Just because someone disagrees with being gay doesn't mean [he] is against us."

Sexual orientation is not a behavior, it is intrinsic. Can you disagree with someone for having blue eyes? Or only disagree with them if they choose to use them to see?

Posted by: kelehe | Apr 30, 2012 8:53:14 AM

16. Nicely put KELEHE.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 30, 2012 8:56:02 AM

17. The smiling bigot. He thinks that when he smiles while saying something hateful makes it all right. Well, I got news for him: it doesn't, it's still hateful.

And to Paul: someone who "disagrees" with being gay is clearly anti-gay. How can you disagree with an innate, immutable characteristic of a person. Have you ever heard someone "disagreeing" with being a left-hander or that being left-handed is a sin? It's stupid and hateful.

Posted by: Peter M. | Apr 30, 2012 9:03:10 AM

18. This is going to be a weak comment because I'm not even sure what my point is. But there's something that bothers me whenever there's a post about religion, and we all gather 'round and attack. And it has nothing to do with sacredness of beliefs etc, as I find religion laughably silly. But from a tactical standpoint, I wonder if there's a better way to approach these people. There's certainly a wide spectrum of religious leaders, and I think there might be some benefit to addressing that. Certainly this guy's attitude has almost nothing in common with the Westboro Baptist Church, yet we heap equal derision on both.

We have to realize that most Americans are going to be religious, and attracted to/swayed by preachers. There are some mainstream Protestant churches that have no problem with gays or gay marriage, but I think most Christian leaders will always struggle with the leviticus sentence, which, let's face it, is fairly straightforward. (I know there are ways to read it in original language that makes it easier to work with, but let's ignore that for now since very few people will go through the trouble of researching that).

By now I'm sure nobody's reading this, but the reason I started this comment is thinking that there may be a way to work with a guy like Joel and his more moderate ilk. Laugh at him all you want, but having someone of his stature talk about what loving, caring people we are is bound to be helpful. I wouldn't write him off just because he opposes gay marriage. I'd rather try to nudge him along closer to our side, rather than write him off completely. He will always oppose gay marriage because of that scripture, but I doubt he opposes civil unions. And I wonder if he'd go further, along the lines we often use here, that leviticus etc condemns so many ridiculous things that we just ignore, so yes, homosexuality is one of thousands of things condemned by the bible, but it's a tiny percentage of the bible itself and should take up a tiny percentage of a church's time as well. And in that vein, could he say that his church wouldn't perform gay marriages, but he sees no reason why the government couldn't, which is all we're ever asking for anyway?

I just think while we understand perfectly well why gay marriage is a no brainer, we don't have a messenger to reach the huge christian bloc. And getting some moderate christians closer to us rather than repelling them, is probably a good strategy.

Posted by: Brian | Apr 30, 2012 9:11:53 AM

19. He doesn't hate gays. He knows gay money is green money which buy his books, tapes and DVD's.

Posted by: Dale | Apr 30, 2012 9:18:03 AM

20. @Peter M, agree, hateful words with a smile is hateful words.
    The "problem" with JO is his church is a money machine and he needs and wants lots of people watching it. So every message comes out with smiles and words such as love, happiness, wealth etc. People are clapping every two minutes. It feels like Watch us! Donate money! His church is political in many ways.
    I've watched his show (as I call his ceremonies) few times and it is really a show on stage. It looks and sounds theatrical and dramatic.

Posted by: Matt26 | Apr 30, 2012 9:28:16 AM

21. He said, "god was not having a good day when he made gay people". I say he was not having a good day when he made idiot-grin moron preachers like him and his ilk.

Posted by: Peter | Apr 30, 2012 9:29:14 AM

22. I was about to write a big long post about not condemning this guy. He's a Christian "leader" on Fox News saying better things than most on that side about us, don't crucify him. However, Brian said it much better than I ever could have, so thank you!

Posted by: AJ | Apr 30, 2012 9:31:18 AM

23. A bigot with nice abbs check out TMZ...now thats a weak comment!

Posted by: VDUFFORD | Apr 30, 2012 9:32:12 AM

24. "I have nothing against colored people, but the bible clearly states we're not all the same. So I have no problem with them riding on the bus with me, as long as they sit in the back. Where's the problem? The don't haver to walk and get there the same time as everyone else, right? They are very nice people, but the bible says....."

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Apr 30, 2012 9:37:27 AM

25. @Brian..... I don't see this man as moderate at all. He said "BEING GAY" is a sin. He did not say that engaging in gay behavior is a sin. He said just our existence (being) is a sin.

Gays who are celibate are still sinners in this man's mind. So, he is worse than most of the Christians who claim that it's only the homosexual behavior (sexual activity) that is a sin.

Sorry, I don't see much to work with in this guy especially when there are so many preachers who actually accept gays and gay sexual activity.

Posted by: Tim NC | Apr 30, 2012 9:38:04 AM