Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Joel Osteen | News

BigGayDeal.com

Joel Osteen: Being Gay is a Sin, But I'm Not a Gay Basher - VIDEO

Osteen

Megapastor Joel Osteen told FOX News' Chris Wallace on Sunday that he believes being gay is a sin but that he isn't a gay basher:

"I believe the Scripture says that being gay is a sin. But, you know, every time I say that, Chris, I get people say, well, you are a gay hater and you're a gay basher. I'm not. I don't -- I don't dislike anybody. Gays are some of the nicest, kindest, most loving people in the world. But my faith is based on what I believe the Scripture says and that's the way I read the Scripture. I think we should discriminate against anybody. So, I think -- yes, I don't think there is an issue where somebody couldn't go visit a gay loved one in the hospital. I don't think that's right. They love each other. "So, I think there should be some. I'm not for gay marriage, but I'm not for discriminating against people.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. @WTF

I think before you reply in such a hostile way you should at least read what I've written. I am not a christian falling for him, I am an atheist who finds the whole christian thing bizarre. And feel free to kick away at the Christian right; I can't stand them. But your response is typical of the way most gay people react to all things religious, like waving a red flag at a bull.

My only point was entirely tactical. The christian right controls a huge percentage of the voting public, and all I was saying is we may want to consider peeling off the more moderate segment of this population. We've made great progress in getting increased acceptance for gay rights, but we will soon hit a wall unless we figure out a way to address the conservative christians.

I think this guy falls into the more moderate wing of the conservative fundie movement. I may be wrong, in which case let's find some others. But from his positions, I was speculating that over time we could get him, not to support gay marriage,but to get out of the fight, say it's not an important issue, and that governments can go issue marriage licenses without affecting his flock. But people like you don't read the comments, you just do a quick scan and lump me in with the westboro baptist church crowd, and launch the usual attacks. It may make us feel better but it won't win us any votes.

Posted by: Brian | Apr 30, 2012 4:18:27 PM

2. Talking for God, like you know what God wants, is Pride, and that is the biggest sin ever. Tell that to a Christian, and watch them fess up that they make it up as they go along.

Posted by: Matt | Apr 30, 2012 6:13:21 PM

3. As a Texan I knew would say, What a bunch of happy horse shyt.

Posted by: Keepin' It Straight | Apr 30, 2012 6:30:01 PM

4. Ask Joel if we should kill people who work on the Sabbath, committ adultery, curse their parents, worship gods other than yahweh? Ask him if he believes slavery is Okay? How about the subjugation of women? If he answers no to any of these questions, he is a homophobe. These bible "believing" bigots throw out most of what the bible teaches, but hang on to their hatred for homosexuals.

Posted by: jack | Apr 30, 2012 7:04:20 PM

5. The poor dear seems confused. Very, very confused, and simply unable to put together clear thoughts, and then communicate them. He seems good with half-thoughts tho.

But I think it's nice that he says it's ok to go visit a gay loved one in the hospital. (WTF??) That's nice to know, one can get very lonely when one is in the hospital.

Obviously the only time he opens the closet door is to pull out a suit. Perhaps one day...

Posted by: jim | Apr 30, 2012 7:40:53 PM

6. Brian - Spot On!!

Posted by: jhr459 | Apr 30, 2012 7:56:00 PM

7. We need to get the word out to religious communities that anti-gay people are twisting God's words to suit their agenda.

Homosexuality is not a sin. The Bible is constantly being taken out of context to support anti-gay views. Scholars who have studied the Bible in context of the times and in relation to other passages have shown those passages (Leviticus, Corinthians, Romans, etc) have nothing to do with homosexuality. These passages often cherry-picked while ignoring the rest of the Bible. The sins theses passages are referring to are idolatry, Greek temple sex worship, prostitution, pederasty with teen boys, and rape, not homosexuality or two loving consenting adults.

Posted by: shadow_man | Apr 30, 2012 9:47:54 PM

8. This is the perfect example of how anti-gay people change the bible's words for their anti-gay agenda.

Corinthians 6:9-11
    Let us examine that very closely.

Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither the immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate [malakoi], nor homosexual offenders [arsenokoites], nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God.

First of all, before we address this line, let us consider one thing. Supposedly taken from a 2000+ year old book, understand that the word "homosexual" was not coined until 1869 by Austrian-born novelist Karl-Maria Kertbeny. So how it happens to be included in a true reading of the particular biblical passage should make you ponder how accurate the interpretation actually is. So man changing the words of the Bible to conveniently spread their anti-gay agenda?

Absolutely.

Posted by: shadow_man | Apr 30, 2012 9:48:23 PM

9. For those of you claiming homosexuality is a "lifestyle", that is a false and ignorant statement. Homosexuality is not a choice. Just like you don't choose the color of your skin, you cannot choose whom you are sexually attracted to. Virtually all major psychological and medical experts agree that sexual orientation is NOT a choice. Most gay people will tell you its not a choice. Common sense will tell you its not a choice. While science is relatively new to studying homosexuality, studies tend to indicate that its biological.

Gay, Straight Men's Brain Responses Differ

There is overwhelming scientific evidence that homosexuality is not a choice. Sexual orientation is generally a biological trait that is determined pre-natally, although there is no one certain thing that explains all of the cases. "Nurture" may have some effect, but for the most part it is biological.

And it should also be noted that:
    "It is worth noting that many medical and scientific organizations do believe it is impossible to change a person's sexual orientation and this is displayed in a statement by American Academy of Pediatrics, American Counseling Association, American Association of School Administrators, American Federation of Teachers, American Psychiatric Association, American Psychological Association, American School Health Association, Interfaith Alliance Foundation, National Association of School Psychologists, National Association of Social Workers, and National Education Association."

Posted by: shadow_man | Apr 30, 2012 9:49:04 PM

10. This was taken from another poster that shows why we need to legalize gay marriage. If you don't feel for this person after reading it, you simply aren't human.

"I am not sure what our President thinks of this dicission but coming from a poor family and knowing what discrimination is all about I would assume he would not care if "Gays" have equal rights. The whole reason why they are asking for rights to be considered married is from the same reason why I would be for it. My own life partner commited suicide in our home with a gun to his heart. After a 28 year union I was deprived to even go his funeral. We had two plots next to each other. But because we did not have a marriage cirtificate "(Legal Document)" of our union his mother had him cremated and his ashes taken back to Missouri where we came from. That is only one example how painful it is. His suicide tramatized me so much and her disregard for my feelings only added to my heartach. That happened on March 21 of 2007 and I still cannot type this without crying for the trauma I have to endure each day. Oh did I mention I am in an electric wheelchair for life? Yes I am and it is very diffacult to find another mate when you are 58 and in a wheelchair. "

Posted by: shadow_man | Apr 30, 2012 9:50:38 PM

11. @ Shadow-man: Stop trying to spin the bible. It is a collection of primitive B.S. Who cares what interpretation one or another person gives? It is like getting into a discussion about some of the statements or stories in the writings of Homer. It's all myth. Move on. We live in the 21st century. Why do you care what people who thought the earth was flat and that diseases were caused by evil demons believed?

Posted by: jack | Apr 30, 2012 10:14:34 PM

12. SFSHAWN - you have obviously never seen one of his sermons - he doesn't do any of the things you have outlined.I am certainly not in favor of Christians or anyoe denigrating us, but telling BS about them doesn't work for me either.

Posted by: jhr459 | Apr 30, 2012 10:23:37 PM

13. Talks like one, walks like one, is pretty much is one. Joel Osteen you might be dressed in nice clothing but you are still a bigot.

Posted by: chadSF | May 1, 2012 12:29:45 AM

14. Your not supost to hate no one for what they do but you are supost to preach against it GAYS it is wrong Mormons do not believe in the way GOD does watch Kirk Cameron he is brave enough to stand up for what he believs and most important what GOD believes you do not half to hate them you do half to hate what they do GODS returning soon do you want to be left behind maybe miss heaven if not preach the true word of GOD not what you want every one starting to wonder about you being a preacher or are you guiding them the wrong way straight to Hell and you half to answer to GOD for this. AMEN

Posted by: Linda Dial | May 17, 2012 6:10:15 PM

15. He looks like he could be gay, so therefore it can't be a sin.

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 21, 2012 4:44:08 PM