Ray-Ban Releases New Gay-Inclusive Ad

RayBanNeverHide

Ray-Ban is using some man-on-man handholding to sell their sunglass wares. As far as The New Civil Rights Movement knows, this is the first time the company has used a same-sex couple in their five-year old "Never Hide" campaign.

Have you seen others?

Comments

1. It's notable and commendable that Ray-Ban chose to go with a period theme, as if saying, "Duh, gay men have been around longer than you think!"

Posted by: jurassicpork | Apr 26, 2012 11:58:49 AM

2. Good for Ray-Ban.

Posted by: Anon | Apr 26, 2012 12:52:42 PM

3. Thanks Ray-Ban--I am now going out to lok for a pair of Ray-Bans

Posted by: Larry Benjamin, author, What Binds Us | Apr 26, 2012 1:04:09 PM

4. It is good, but I will never forget their iconic commercial with hipsters wearing Ray-Bans gathered on the beach for sunrise. The last arrival has forgotten his glasses ... and explodes at sunup because they're all vampires.

Posted by: Alessar | Apr 26, 2012 1:51:51 PM

5. I saw this while flipping backwards through a magazine. I saw two or three het themed ads, and sighed inwardly, "yes, more straight people, blah, blah, blah" and then, boom! I saw this shot. Very cool.

Posted by: David R. | Apr 26, 2012 1:52:35 PM

6. OMFG, what will those One Hundred Cranky Moms do now? They can't shop and J.C. Penney, drink frappuccinos at Starbucks and now...no Ray Bans. I LOVE IT!

Posted by: Gigi | Apr 26, 2012 2:10:57 PM

7. Love this! glad to see the business that I purchased the iconic "black wayfarer sunglasses" from is pro-gay.

Posted by: Josh | Apr 26, 2012 5:24:04 PM

8. I know its not P C, but I still think it looks silly for two grown middle aged men to go walking down the street holding hands. I don't even think it looks cool for two middle aged straight people to walk around holding hands. I often wonder if they are afraid their partner will run off. Give each other some space! Don't be so clingy.

Posted by: jack | Apr 26, 2012 9:10:50 PM

9. It isn't about being PC Jack, it is all
    about YOU feeling uncomfortable seeing two
    men (or maybe you're okay with 2 women)
    holding hands walking down the street?
    It is their choice. If they aren't impeding
    other people on their way, it is THEIR business (and presumed happiness with each
    other). You should realize that your reaction is YOUR reaction and that is ALL ABOUT YOUR
    attitudes and beliefs and feelings. You have a right to all those, but just DON'T act out and try and prevent 2 men or 2 women or a man and a woman from holding hands walking down the street if they aren't bothering anyone else. This what freedom in America is about. If your feelings cause you psychic distress, see a therapist and explore why and how you can feel better.

Posted by: BrokebackBob | Apr 26, 2012 10:25:17 PM

10. Brokebackbob: Of course I would never try to prevent people from holding hands walking down the street. I just happen to think that adult men walking down the street holding hands looks especially silly to me. It doesn't cause me any psychic distress. Mabye its an age thing, I'm 73. I also think it looks silly to see older men with earings. However, I did like your movie.

Posted by: jack | Apr 26, 2012 11:39:47 PM

11. Well that explains why I bought Ray-Bans when I needed to replace my frames last year! LOL

Posted by: Darrell | Apr 27, 2012 2:28:33 AM

12. Some people like to hold hands in public even though I know it's wrong. Alas, impertinence is unstoppable.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 27, 2012 7:39:45 AM

13. It's funny, all the conscious and subconscious things that go into making a brand. I think this fits with the cool factor of the brand and it's an important and well, eye-catching update. I sell Raybans in my shop and will pick up a pair for myself. (People buy what I wear.) We're seeing more and more Rayban frames used for regular glasses, not sunglasses.

I think it's hard not holding hands sometimes. Airplanes and sidewalks are where I feel constrained not to be able to offer this sweet, non-verbal gesture.

Posted by: Rob | Apr 27, 2012 8:01:14 AM