2012 Election | Howard Stern | News | Rachel Maddow

BigGayDeal.com

Howard Stern Asks Rachel Maddow About Putting Out for a Man: VIDEO

Maddow

Rachel Maddow made an appearance last week on The Howard Stern show to talk about her new book Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power. Stern also asked her about the Republican presidential nominees, and being a lesbian. Maddow told Stern that before she came out she was dating a "thuggish" kind of guy that her parents didn't really warm up to until she started coming out as a lesbian and then they were suddenly all about him.

Watch that clip and the full program, AFTER THE JUMP...

Stern also asked Maddow whether she had ever experienced “insertion from a man.”

Said Maddow: "I'm never going to tell you that."

Stern also asked  if she gets angry "when [she sees] guys like Rick Santorum so happy to bash gays and gay marriage, talk about how they're sinning" and "Michele Bachmann is running around with her husband saying, 'We've got to convert gay people.'”

Replied Maddow: “The comfort that I take in that is that they look ridiculous...They really look like...they look like a living embarrassing artifact of a way that people used to think.”

Here's the full show:

Comments

1. Stern has perhaps the brightest and most thoughtful person in the media today on his show and he can't resist asking her vulgar questions.

Posted by: jack | Apr 2, 2012 10:53:37 AM

2. Everyone who goes on Stern knows what he's in for. I like Rachel, it's just a shame that she's on the wrong side of a couple of big issues; illegal immigration/aliens and the Second Amendment.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 2, 2012 11:10:06 AM

3. Thanks for post! It's good.

Posted by: masterpapers review | Apr 2, 2012 11:10:34 AM

4. Anyone who goes on Howard's show gets asked those questions. Love Rachel Maddow but she knew what she was in for. This was actually mild compared to what he has asked others.

Posted by: Todd | Apr 2, 2012 11:24:37 AM

5. No doubt Rachel had all the questions in advance.

Posted by: Oliver | Apr 2, 2012 11:40:39 AM

6. Why the prudery?

Posted by: Randy | Apr 2, 2012 1:16:06 PM

7. I have been listening to Howard for over 15 years. I have never understood why he isn't recognized by an GLADD. He always been very pro gay. Howard reaches a wide audience, so it's great he sends out such a positive message about gay people.

Posted by: markatlarge | Apr 2, 2012 4:21:19 PM

8. Howard stern has used the word Faggot publicly. He is a loathesome slug. I feel sorry for Rachel she has to whore herself this way.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 2, 2012 4:46:32 PM

9. ...Stern has actually been a rather outspoken advocate of the gay communities, and has continually called out the bigotry and prejudice that still plagues our western culture.

i'm not sure what the problem is.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 2, 2012 4:51:15 PM

10. And he has used the word faggot publicly which is an inexcusable offense. He is a hypocrite. He says those things because his audience is young and they vote for gay rights. He is actually a homophobe.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 2, 2012 5:07:49 PM

11. your screen name is "H8STR8S"

you hate straight people, but aren't heterophobic, yet Stern continues to speak out in support of the LGBT Community and you decide that he's homophobic.

cuckoo. cuckoo.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 2, 2012 5:17:35 PM

12. @Littlekiwi
    I am heterophobic. That is why I have the screen name H8Str8s. I decide Stern is homophobic because he has used the word faggot in public. A non homophobe would never think to use such language. He has used it. He is a homophobe. Use of that word is not something one can take back. He said it; it sticks to him.
    I haven't insulted you personally. Please stop taking our disagreements so personally. I don't hate you, you are presumeably gay. I want you on my side.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 2, 2012 5:24:16 PM

13. he headline for this story, while technically correct, is misleading, and typical for Stern-bashers who pick his jokes and prurient questions out of context to make him seem sexist or homophobic. On the contrary, the interview was smart, respectful, and fascinating, and Stern has spent months talking about his respect (and indeed attraction) to Maddow. Moreover, Stern has done more for gay rights than a million Lady Gagas, actually bringing his proudly pro-gay message to a huge audience of exactly the kind of people who need to hear it, rather than preaching to the choir. He's a hero of the gay rights movement, and it's sad that Towleroad feels the need to get "tabloidy" with a misleading headline that perpetuates misconceptions about him and his show.

Posted by: doogiehowsah | Apr 2, 2012 5:35:07 PM

14. And you forgive the use of the word faggot in public? Heros like this we do not need.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 2, 2012 5:47:01 PM

15. I have no room for anti-straight bigots on "my" side.

I believe everyone is capable of redemption. a man who once used the word "faggot" who goes out of his way to promote and encourage Equality for LGBT people is doing the right thing.

Coming onto a gay website to hate straight people doesn't make you impressive.

Now, no need to complain about Gaga while championing Stern. Gaga's giving a lot of empowerment and love to "the choir" - and she's helping a lot of young people find strength in who and what they are. There's room for both of them, each doing much-valued work for their target demographics.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 2, 2012 5:52:03 PM

16. @littlekiwi
    And you aren't an anti-white bigot? I've seen what you've written here and condoned.
    Go ahead and suck up to a homophobe.
    Yes, why attack lady Gaga while defending a homophobe?

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 2, 2012 5:56:45 PM

17. I *am* white. I'm not sucking up to Howard Stern, I'm simply happy to have him on our side.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 2, 2012 6:00:56 PM

18. @littlekiwi
    So you are a self-loathing white. On the story about NOM, where one white guy convinced a lot of blacks and latinos to go ahead and vote their bigoty, you supported somebody who said "The homophobia in the white community is out of control." This is bigotry in that it is taking the actions of a very few and applying them to a whole community - whites. There is little so blatently bigoted as that statement.
    Oh, and don't feel defensive about sucking up to a homophobe. It is your prerogative to suck up to whomever you please.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 2, 2012 6:12:59 PM

19. If you actually listened to Howard Stern you would know that he has addressed his use of the word faggot. He talked about how it used to just be part of the norm (which was true) and when he became aware of how it affected the LGBT community, and finally his stoppage of the use of the word. That's called the evolution of a human, very honest and respectable. Saying the word in conversation addressing said word, like we have here, is much different than using the word directed at somebody.

howard has evolved as a human being and should be commended for standing up for the LGBT community as much as he does.

Posted by: Hilarity | Apr 2, 2012 6:23:55 PM

20. I don't forgive homophobia. Once you've said it publicly any appology is just facile and self-serving. I don't believe it for a second. He said it himself; he only stopped abusing us when it was no longer the norm to do so and it started costing him money. Not much of an apology to say "Once it started costing me I stopped!"

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 2, 2012 6:29:44 PM

21. Also, "when he became aware of how it affected the LBGT community..." How unbelievably disingenuous. He expects us to believe there was a time he used the word faggot without realizing exactly what he was doing and how hurtful it was? Is he insane? Or merely the most ignorant neanderthal ever to walk this earth?

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 2, 2012 6:59:09 PM

22. I dunno. He's giving a face and name and highly-visible and vocal presence to LGBT Equality.

He's putting himself out there for all the world to see as one straight man who supports the LGBT Community.

What are you doing to be just as visible?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 2, 2012 7:15:08 PM

23. Why would I need to be just as visible? That doesn't even make sense. It is not even analogous. He is a public figure.
    He has used the word faggot and made a disingenuous appology because it was hitting his bottom line. His position in support of the LGBT community is insincere as far as I can see and just shows what a hypocrite the slug is. There is no apology for using the word faggot. There is nothing one can do to come back from that. He has shown his true colours and now that that is costing him, he wants to change coats as a PR stunt.
    And you have fallen for it.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 2, 2012 7:38:21 PM

24. @H8STR8S - your position makes you about as close-minded as most of the ACTUAL homophobes and bigots we're fighting against, and certainly way more close-minded than Howard Stern himself. If you honestly believe people lack the capability to not only change, but to learn from their past ignorance and mistakes, then, yeah. I would have to side with Little Kiwi in not wanting you beside me in our fight for equality.

You're like those elderly racists folks that are too close-minded to consider that black people in the olden days were forced to be less than they could be, or conversely that white people are still 'out to get them' even after all the change in the last 50 years. And that's pretty sad -- moreso because you're too close-minded to even see it.

There are gay people who used the word 'faggot' against other gays before they came out. Should they be banned from the table?

Posted by: antisaint | Apr 2, 2012 8:01:40 PM

25. @H8STR8S: For me, you are the saddest of all people. You are exactly as horrific as all the "homophobes and bigots we're fighting against" because you only know hatred and how to be vile. I only hope that you can learn and grow and evolve. I pity you.

Posted by: menyc | Apr 2, 2012 8:13:02 PM