Mormon | Religion | Video

Straight Mormons Say It Gets Better: VIDEO

LDSItGetsBetter

Today in Washington DC, LGBT Mormons and their allies gathering at the Circling The Wagons Conference will witness the premier of this video by Kendall Knox -- the same Kendall Knox who last month produced an It Gets Better video featuring gay Mormons at Brigham Young University.

This vid, too, is part of the It Gets Better series. It, too, features Mormons. Only these are straightfolk -- het Mormons who maybe once disliked or feared the LGBT community, but were turned around after a friend or family member came out. They're still devoutly religious, and they express their love of the LGBT community in explicitly Mormon terms. It's an odd thing to see. It's also very moving.

Watch AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. Wow....look at allll the paid troll shills for the mormon church, out here, pretending that mormonism is warm, and fuzzy, and ... Christian.

Bwahahahaha...

What a bunch of hapless idiots.

Now hear this: we ain't buyin' it. Got it?

Posted by: Mic | Apr 21, 2012 6:41:12 PM

2. It gets better after you drop out of your ridiculous cult.

Posted by: AdamK | Apr 21, 2012 7:17:21 PM

3. It seems that most people are missing the benefit of this video. It was not made for adult gay people, to make amends for their church, but for LGBT youth.

It may not help much for a 16 year old to hear from Lady GaGa, a baseball team, or President Obama that it gets better. However, to hear from the people that they identify as similar to the people in the community in which they are currently trapped, that it can get better even for gay Mormons, might actually help them survive.

Further, a church is made of its members, just like a country is made of its people. Being Christian, or even Mormon does not mean that you subscribe to the policies of its leadership. Did any of you not identify as American when George W. Bush was president? Would it be fair to ascribe the policies of a government to the people that are under that government?

A church, just like a country, is changed slowly over time with people like the people in this video standing up for what is right. They should be acknowledged for their sincerity, even if you do not believe what they said was perfect.

I find it inspiring when any individual acknowledges their own evolution. The more individuals that evolve, the more institutions evolve.

Anyone with parents or family who took time to come around, recognizes them in the people in this video. How about giving the same credit to these people that you would like others to give your own family.

Posted by: Miller | Apr 21, 2012 7:46:34 PM

4. Thank you MR MILLER. That was a mature response "...a church, just like a country, is changed slowly over time with people...standing up for what is right." That's the way it works.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 21, 2012 9:22:58 PM

5. @MILLER -- it was made to keep peace within the ranks of the morholes, and as PR for gullible outsiders who do not understand how monumental a change to the ENTIRE religion would come from allowing Gays to be Gay
    @UFFDA - the Presbyterian Church is changed with people standing up. Morholism has a "prophet" who is the only one to whom God can give changes of doctrine.
    ..... The basis of morholism is the BLOOD family, now and in the afterlife. Gays lose their place when they fail to marry heterosexually and have kids

Posted by: Bob | Apr 21, 2012 9:44:23 PM

6. BOB - I know all about Mormon doctrin, I was one and graduated from BYU. Even this quite ridiculous church is fashion concious - they had a new "revelation" that let blacks into their temples way back about 20 years ago now. So they do believe in change. When they are close to being the only ones left without gay marriage they'll cave...and I wonder how they'll do it? A new revelation permitting marriage equality will not necessarily mean that a same sex couple can hope to go on creating new worlds together in the afterlife...will it? Maybe they'll come up the notion that two men can operate like those two male flamingos who steal eggs to raise a family. God must be puzzled seeing this change coming down the road. But I'm certain He'll figure it out, after all He made us. Now He has to face the music.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 22, 2012 12:28:47 AM

7. Wow, gay people are very intolerant if these boards are any indication. I live in Utah. I was once Mormon. The people in this video are doing something very brave and all you can do is belittle them.

Posted by: Bri | Apr 22, 2012 12:29:32 AM

8. Where is MARIE OSMOND in this video ?
    She has a Out Lesbian daughter and a son who committed suicide with wide speculation that he was Gay, but she totally denies his gayness.

Posted by: Nelson | Apr 22, 2012 4:29:36 AM

9. thats a great video BUT it still doesn't change my mind about religion. I don't care how much religion embraces the glbtq community it will not change my mind about religion and believing in a "god(s)". I do approve the courage to stand up to the LDS church and think its great.

Posted by: Silas | Apr 22, 2012 7:58:20 AM

10. While the people in this video may actually be sincere, don't for one minute think that the LDS church isn't also duping THEM along with the rest of their intended audience.

TRUTH: This is nothing more than propaganda aimed at getting Mitt into the White House:

• with whatever votes they can glean

• using any smarmy way to get them

• from whatever portion of society they can
    aim their glowing PR ray at.

DON'T BE FOOLED!

Posted by: johnny | Apr 22, 2012 8:17:28 AM

11. After living for five years in Utah I would say it gets better after you leave that place. When the chief Mormon priests spew hatred at the pulpit I doubt this video will makes a lot of difference!!

Posted by: Marius | Apr 22, 2012 9:13:25 AM

12. Really don't care what any Mormon has to say about anything.

Posted by: Curt | Apr 22, 2012 9:52:58 AM

13. SO many bitter and ignorant remarks.. this video was not produced by the LDS Church. READ the damn story and do just a little bit of research before you jump to conclusions!

Miller is exactly right. This video isn't really directed towards the gay community at large.. but rather gay Mormons who struggle and even straight Mormons who want to understand the issue. As a former Mormon, I certainly could have used this video growing up.

Posted by: Evan | Apr 22, 2012 10:15:07 AM

14. Exactly @ EVAN and @MILLER!

I cried when I saw this- that wasn't acting- those were genuine emotions and expressions from those people. It WASN"T made BY the LDS church- it was made by people bucking the church's traditions. It wasn't made to promote Mormonism either.

Believe me- I still rant about the horrible wrongs of the Catholic Church, The Southern Baptist Convention churches, Pentecostal churches- but I think we ALL need to recognize and be grateful for those who have changed their attitudes and views about gay people - and accepted them. Those of us with religious families wish we had half as much acceptance as these people have shown.

We need to seriously consider the cynical attitudes out there in our community. People of faith should be respected too- ESPECIALLY those who change and work and fight for acceptance.

The commentators who used disgusting language towards these truly wonderful people should be ASHAMED. Don't like the LDS church and its teachings? Fine- I dont either- but I don't dismiss and degraded those who keep their faith while opening their arms to us. And YES- that's what they were saying!!!!

Posted by: scott | Apr 22, 2012 11:11:42 AM

15. When the Mormon Church stops supporting NOM and apologizes for Prop 8, I'll believe this video.

Between the shills here, and the Mormon Church's history of media manipulation, I firmly feel that this is a shell game to take the vinegar out of Romney's games and move him to the mainstream from the bottom.

Funding can be hidden, NOM and Superpacs prove this. I hope the shills here were paid well.

Posted by: Polyboy | Apr 22, 2012 3:08:28 PM

16. Guy at the beginning says his son “has same sex attraction,” so he thinks it’s a mental disorder and making sure we all know it’s all about sex. He also says “you don’t know me but I know you” since all gay people are the same.

Guy in the middle says “I used to say if 'a gay' came on to me, I’d punch him out,” making sure we know gay men are sexual predators who are weak and can’t fight a fat, old guy. Then he says “now I’d hug him.” so we know gay men are still sexual predators but we all just need a hug. But he still refers to us as “a gay.” because he still doesn’t think we are humans… Just monsters.

The whole video has this weird, underlying “I feel sorry for you poor victims of same sex attraction and I know how hard it is to be gay because I know how it is to be alone….” because they look at us like victims. That we’re all sad and suicidal.

This is just more Mormon propaganda, sanctioned by the cult. If you think otherwise, you're an idiot.

Posted by: Red assault | Apr 22, 2012 3:22:04 PM

17. This is like someone cutting you up and then saying "aw let me tend to your wounds". These assholes CAUSED their kids to attempt suicide and now they're trying to say it gets better?!? Yeah, it gets better when you leave this cult.

Posted by: andy | Apr 22, 2012 3:23:21 PM

18. When the crying woman talks about her son as, "he was the perfect son," you know she doesn't feel that way anymore. I can't help but feel they are insincere and that we are being manipulated. The Mormons have to do a whole lot more than an "it gets better video" to make up for the pain they have caused the gay community. I'd like to say it is a start but I don't feel it is really their intent to start.

Posted by: SFHarry | Apr 22, 2012 4:45:03 PM

19. @SCOTT, MILLER, and especially EVAN
    -- you are SO willing to sell out your Gay asses to fit in with a church that overwhelmingly supported prop 8 and NOM, and is busy in several States to block marriange in 2012.
    YOU GUYS ARE SELF-HATERS if you fall for the obvious scam of the morhole propaganda.
    YOU CANNOT WASH AWAY THE "SIN" OF BEING GAY, THEY WILL NEVER LET YOU -- unless you marry a woman in the temple.

Posted by: Bob | Apr 22, 2012 5:48:16 PM

20. I truly appreciate this post. I have been looking all over for this! Thanks for your kind to share it. Very interesting and great point of view.

Posted by: mormon | May 19, 2012 1:58:11 PM