Bullying | Canada | Education | Gay Youth | Video

BigGayDeal.com

To My 7th Grade Self: VIDEO

7thGradeSelf

"To My 7th Grade Self" is probably one of the best anti-bullying videos going. It's as un-slick and seemingly un-rehearsed as you can get while still being totally slick and (probably) thoroughly reheased. Half the people in the video are former bullies, which is a nice change -- they're haunted their past misdeeds, which I imagine will be a great comfort to students facing unreformed 7th grade bullies in the present.

The whole thing's pretty stirring. FYI: "To My 7th Grade Self" was produced by "Get REAL," a "university student-driven initiative" out of Canada "aimed at eliminating homophobia in creative and dynamic ways." Watch AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. Incredibly moving. So powerful! It's great to see former bullies participating with their whole heart. I hope this goes mega-viral. I'm gonna do my part to see it does.

Posted by: AJ | Apr 21, 2012 9:41:49 AM

2. This is a great video. I'm grateful to all those people who participated. If you're reading this, thanks!

Posted by: mike128 | Apr 21, 2012 10:30:01 AM

3. I guess the message is that we are supposed to feel sorry for the bullies too. More positively, it says that people can learn. But I wonder how much comfort it is to people who are bullied to know that their bullies will come to regret it later? This is a well-intentioned video and I hope that it helps make kids think, but I don't feel engaged by it.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 21, 2012 11:04:25 AM

4. I'd like this to be rolled out and screened to every 7th grade class. Um, it's not directed at bullying victims - but at casual bullies, or people who observe and do nothing. I think it's very powerful to imagine your future self regarding your current self and offering some advice. I'm not sure that hard-core bullies would react to this, but I'm pretty positive casual ones who go along passively or to the extent of joining in the verbal bashing would be very effected in a positive way by this video.

Interestingly, an article in last week's Time noted that anti-bullying policies recently all the rage in schools nationwide have found little luck in dealing with bullies or victims, but great results by addressing all those kids who stand by and do nothing. It's changing the culture that makes a difference.

Oh, and not that I was a victim or a bully, but it sure would have been rad at pretty much any time in my youth to receive a message from my older self.

Posted by: Zlick | Apr 21, 2012 11:37:08 AM

5. Oh, and is it wrong to say that curly-haired guy in the cover photo is smokin' hot?

Posted by: Zlick | Apr 21, 2012 11:51:46 AM

6. This video's created by the same group who thinks that dyeing one's hair colour as purple, then going into the public, is synonymous with what gay students go through. Idiots.

Posted by: Jessica | Apr 21, 2012 7:26:57 PM

7. First, thank you so much for the post and the article. We really really appreciate it. I just wanted to address the last comment, about our hair dyeing event we ran last year. To clarify, the idea behind that event was for students to draw awareness by dyeing their hair purple. It was meant to encourage other students to ask about the hair, and thus egage in a conversation about eliminating homophobia. It was not meant to be equated with coming out in any way. We currently use bright pink hats with our logo, to serve the same purpose; simply an awareness tactic that we use to engage students and get them thinking about creating a safe space on campus. The hair was the same, we just hadn't thought of the hats yet. Chris Studer, Co-Coordinator, Get REAL 2011/2012

Posted by: Chris_studer88@hotmail.com | Apr 21, 2012 7:44:25 PM

8. @Jay
    I don't think the message is to feel sorry for the bullies at all...

We have the "It Gets Better" thing going for the victims of bullies. This is simply taking the alternate route of addressing the ones doing the bullying rather than the bullied.

I have to echo the sentiment of ZLick.. I think this should be shown to all 7th graders at the beginning of their school year. Give them a chance to have a better starting place mentally and emotionally. It's great to know it gets better as a 'victim' .. but it's equally important for the bully, or potential bully to know that what they do.. can hurt the people they care about, and even themselves.

Thanks to TR for sharing this, and thanks to Get Real for putting this together.

Posted by: theotherlee | Apr 21, 2012 8:13:19 PM

9. @Jay
    I don't think the message is to feel sorry for the bullies at all...

Posted by: theotherlee | Apr 21, 2012 8:13:20 PM

10. @Zlick. One of the most important things to learn is to forgive. It's not for them, it's for you. I was pretty mercilessly bullied in junior high and high school. Trust me, I genuinely know what that feels like. I also know what it feels like to forgive them that, and never feel pain from it ever again. That's what forgiveness is. People change. You are not the person you were then. Neither are they.

I get very angry when I hear homophobic nonsense to this very day. Not because I allow them to hurt me, but because I absolutely will not stand for someone else to go through what I did. Never, ever again.

This is an excellent video. It is beautifully done, very thought provoking. But frankly, if I could go back ... I'm awfully glad I was the victim, and not the perpetrator. It's easier to forgive someone else their hurt, than to realize you've caused someone else pain. That I could never live with.

Posted by: Craig | Apr 21, 2012 10:33:41 PM

11. Agreed that this should be screened for middle school and high school students. I am so impressed with the younger generation right now: very motivated by accepting difference and individual choices, as well as having a major concern for helping the betterment of their world. I think that the Millennials might just save the planet.

Posted by: michael | Apr 22, 2012 6:40:31 AM

12. I thought the video was really effective and it's about more than just gay and straight even though that's what it addresses directly. We know that homophobes are often closeted gays and that's especially true in a middle school or high school setting. And just because someone is gay and acknowledges it personally doesn't mean they're a saint who's incapable of hurting another person with their actions or words. Sometimes people who are bullied lash out at others too, over their weight, clothes, acne, whatever.

The video works on multiple levels but it appeals to the bully's self-interest, "Do you really want to be saddled with guilt and shame later on for acting like a d*ck in high school, for deliberately hurting other people?" IMO it's an approach that could be effective for some people.

Posted by: Caliban | Apr 22, 2012 10:44:04 AM

13. Sorry, but this whole video seems like it's full of very weak people. These are all people who probably became lonely in their life because of the bullying they did in high school, and this is there way of making themselves feel better now.

Crying in the video and going on and on about all these things that you either did or had done to you in high school is a little childish. We're all grown up now, we're past that stage now. In real life, there are strong and weak people. Bullies will always exist, just like the sharks and seals in the ocean.

Sharks will play and torture seals until they are finally dead, sometimes the sharks won't even eat them either. It's a natural part of life, some people will get picked on. I was picked on in high school and I became stronger because of it, I'm actually thankful that I had bullies in high school.

Without being bullied, I would not have went to the gym constantly and I wouldn't have became bigger. I wouldn't have taken MMA and wrestling classes to become stronger and faster. I wouldn't have got the confidence to talk to girls without bullies. Kids these days need to learn how to deal with life, because holding their hand through high school will only make it harder in the real world.

Yep. I said it.

Posted by: Justin | Apr 25, 2012 11:11:16 PM

14. Merriam Webster Definition of HOMO and PHOBIA. Phobia: an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation. Homo: any of a genus (Homo) of hominids that includes modern humans (H. sapiens) and several extinct related species.

Never have a seen a clearer case of deviants and demons getting into a kids head, "homo" comes from latin and "phobia" comes from Greek. Don't get me wrong there are real clinical cases of irrational fears, dogs, spiders airplanes. But here is no such thing as "homophobia".

A large intertwined group of pedophiles and deviants have been accessing children behind parents backs with the help of other children's parents, and queer deviant teachers.

Here is how it works; they access your children by-passing the correct teaching and awareness of sex education, they have been teaching sex education to kids without your consent of parents. These pedophiles are twisted queer deviants.

These pedophiles and deviants are inundating the media all children and kids watch, the internet, music TV, I-pod radio, they innudate the kids with the word "homophobic".

Through the use of that word a large group of pedophiles bully kids and other children, even unsuspecting parents, into a twisted back-alley approach to sex education.

The pedophiles indoctrinate kids into the world of pedophilia by telling and teaching kids, before they have any concept of sex or any comprehension of the subject, they are sick, diseased and mentally ill in some way. They do this by making kids believe they are "homophobic" if they do not allow any adult to molest them.

The pedophiles are inundating the media with the word "homophobic" showing stern, angry, frowning faces, making the so called "homophobes" look like evil people who should be rejected from society.

The deviants use the word "homophobic" in context with remarks and connotations a person is a reject in society if they do not allow a parent, adult or another child to molest them, the child is made to feel he or she has done something wrong by not allowing the adult to molest them. The misinformed child believes they are homophobic if they do not allow a person to take sexual advantage of them.

The child has only some idea but is not yet old enough to know that a person suffering from a real medical condition, known as a "phobia", should be cared for and supported and possibly medically treated but since the young child doesn't know there is no such thing as being "homophobic" and since the child doesn't know that people who use the word are trying to incite hatred of other people in society the child would rather submit to being molested rather than being a reject from society or rejected from their adult friends and parents who they trust. The child is made to feel they only have one of two choices, to either hide their "phobia" their "sickness" of not wanting to be sexually touched by an adult or by another member of the same gender, or they can submit to the pedophiles and other members of the same gender and not be "homophobic".

Since nearly all kids are trusting they believe what they see on TV and hear on the radio and they believe they are rejects from society if they are homophobic. It's the first time in history where a real clinical medical condition known as a "phobia" is used in society to legally discriminate and incite hatred against kids who do not want to be sexually touched by members of the same sex or adults. There are grown-ups and litterate adults in society who are not even aware there is no such thing as "homophobia". The number of people in society who actually do carry a real and diagnosed clinical case of having "an irrational fear of being near or interacting with people who are homosexual" is infinitesmal.

Right now in my area alone we have judges and politicians actively protecting known and convicted pedophiles by not incarcerating them, even though they have been convicted in a court of law, the judges and politicians will still not incarcerate them. They control the court system and they control the outcomes of trials, they also control the use of the word "homophobic".

In the majority of cases where the word "homophobic" is used, someone is trying to access either your's or your neighbors children for sexual abuse.

Just as the definition and meaning for these two words were changed, the words "gay" and "queer", they were also adopted by a whole demographic in society that changed their true meaning to suit their agenda, now so too has the word "homophobic".

The proof of this for Chris is the pedophiles and deviants will get into his head to try and delete this post.

Try and get this kid some professional help from a local medical clinic or hospital

Posted by: RadTurbo | Apr 26, 2012 11:04:52 AM