News | Twitter

To My Unborn Child, If You're a 'Fag', I'll Kill You: VIDEO

Unbornchild

Charlotte Moore, the creator of this new PSA, writes:

In early March, the hashtag "#tomyunbornchild" became a worldwide trend on Twitter. By and large, these tweets were loving, hopeful messages to the next generation -- but many people saw it as an opportunity to express hate speech towards LGBT children.

Reading their bile, the only thing I could think was: how would we feel if we heard actual parents saying this to actual children? I got the idea on a Thursday. By Sunday, we -- me, my boyfriend, and whatever friends we could find to help us -- had it filmed.

It's easy to dehumanize hate speech online because we've gotten so used to seeing it. We tell ourselves that it's the product of trolls, of random, anonymous strangers.  Except they're not. They're real people. Many of them will be parents. And some of their children will be gay. But what can we DO about it? I don't think there are any easy answers.

Whenever you believe life begins, I hope we can all agree: life is essential, and rare, and precious. We can't stop anyone from having kids. But we can resolve to stop this toxic cycle. We can wish better for our own children. And we can support the kids who weren't so lucky.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. horde of dirty white racist bastards posting on this news item.

kiwi & francis, you're on the up & up as usual. kisses!

Signed,
    A proud 2nd-generation Nigerian-American. (U Mad?)

Posted by: redball | Apr 5, 2012 8:28:46 PM

2. I think that many of the commenters are missing the point of this piece. So many people are nitpicking the black/white, educated/ignorant thing. The horror of this piece is HEARING those horrible tweets = just words on a screen - HEARING them SPOKEN out loud. It horrifies me to HEAR those thoughts verbalized. That is where the impact is. I mean, whomever tweeted those hateful things was bad enough - but to hear it. My God. call me a wuss, but it drove me to tears the first time.

Posted by: pdxblueyes | Apr 5, 2012 8:45:34 PM

3. It's amazing to me that black population has no issues with zeroing in on who racists are, and have made the point that unless we have dialogue about racism amongst whites, no achievments can be made. Well, using that same logic, let's finally confront black homophobia. It is real, and it certainly is disproportionate from not only homophobia from other race groups, but more importantly, black homophobia is a more vocal/hostile form of homophobia. Truth hurts, and until you're willing to confront truth, than you'll continue to get hurt. No reason in 2012 we can't be adult and logical about matter of fact issues.

Posted by: Dynex | Apr 5, 2012 10:12:43 PM

4. @redbull. yep, pointing out that this vile hate and viciousness against unborn gay kids (!!!) seems to be disporportionate in the black community makes people concerned about social justice "a horde of dirty white racist bastards".

just wow

you're despicable

Posted by: gomez | Apr 6, 2012 12:17:13 AM

5. GOMEZ, you need to think harder. the problem is due to factors associated with skin color--not skin color, per se. to focus on blackblackblack is a red herring and, quite frankly, superficial and racialist if not outright lazy and racist.

FRANCIS usu does an excellent job of discussing in great detail what i'm referring to. Think harder. I'm busy sociologist public health dude so my job here is done. got bigger fish to fry if you can't even read a book.

Posted by: redball | Apr 6, 2012 1:00:54 AM